» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Re: Poor Man's Ocean Pro Reduction Nozzle 550sx

Well done! Very nice work.

Well, it took me a bit longer than I expected but it's looking like this ski will be ready to try this year. I just need to:

1) build an engine for it (just need cylinders and pistons)
    2) fiberglass reinforce the front of the haul
    3) put the rest of the ski together

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Update time again... the engine is built and I'm in the middle of installing it. This thing should be up and running within 2 weeks. I'll be taking it back home with me to PA then so I should know how it runs shortly. In case this doesn't work, I bought a stock reduction and turn nozzle that I can through on. This also will let me do a great comparison between stock and my Poor Mans OP.

I'll let you all kmow how it goes.

20150726_113151.jpg20150726_113201.jpg20150726_113059.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

I have duct tape, bubble gum, jb weld, and a cordless drill. Let me know if you need any help.

I'm also in NY, with a FULL fab shop, so depending on where you're at in PA, I could help.
    Last edited by whazguude; 07-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Thanks for the offer! At this point I think I'll be all set. I just installed the engine and discovered that I forgot a stock exhaust won't fit. I just spent the last two days picking up a westcoast pipe and prepairing other parts. I was going to keep this engine rather stock but now with the pipe.... I couldn't help myself from getting all the other upgrades. I decided to install a Coffman waterbox, sbn44 (still need an intake if anyone has one) prok flame arrester, diverter manifold, r&d pump grate, and advance the timing. Now it should run like my x2 does (minus the lightened flywheel) once I get the intake.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Subscribed. Can't wait to see how this works. I also have a shop.

Old thread, but did you ever run this? What did it cost for the round aluminum tube? Where did you get it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PWCToday Guru

You can buy small quantities of industrial metals at places like this.. http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2471-...-extruded.aspx

If you have an industrial salvage yard, you might find a chunk of aluminum. We used have a "surplus" store at the local aircraft plant, it was awesome to walk through there and see the scrap they had. I sure miss that place.

If your local high school still has an aluminum foundry, you could have rough ring cast. Depends a lot on how willing the teacher is to provide students with a real world "job" to complete. Also how good he is at teaching kids how to make GOOD quality castings.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Yep, hemmjo was right on with that. I used a scrap piece of 6061 aluminum. Bored that out and turned it down until it was the right size.

As for how this performed, it was interesting. I seemed to have a bit more hole shot capability but I think it might have taken away on top speed.... As would be expected with increasing the bore. I think this would have worked even better with a larger/more powerful engine and a slightly more aggressive impeller. Then again, perhaps that would have made another component the limiting factor such as pump tunnel design. If I built another js/sx again I probably would have tried to to install a completely different pump and pump tunnel, though at that point I would just move to a more modern ski.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Boring the nozzle always produces more holeshot and less speed, that was a given, you have to balance the impeller pitch with the bore size of the nozzle, it's just another piece in the tuning puzzle
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information