Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

A salute to the Old Dudes that still ride Jet Skis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSNate
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Apr 2010

A salute to the Old Dudes that still ride Jet Skis!

This thread is a way to acknowledge all of the old dudes that still ride stand up skis and refuse to go away quietly. So, go ahead... Post your stories and photos of past and current Jet Ski glory!

After thirty plus years I have come to the understanding that this is not just a Jet Ski faze.. It is a lifelong obsession that is being handed down to my children. I guess in the scheme of things there are considerably more unhealthy things to get hooked on.. I thought it would be appropriate to start this thread in the "Vintage" section for obvious reasons..
    Attached Files
    sigpic
  • rwilliamtaylor
    I dream skis
    • Jun 2011

Re: A salute to the Old Dudes that still ride Jet Skis!

I'm 51 yearsvold and just started riding again last year with my 18 year old son. We bought a trashed 550 Sx and rebuilt it and then bought a 650sx and rebuilt it. We ride just about every weekend all year round. We ride mostly freshwater but occasionally hit the surf and beat the snot out of our skis jumping them.

sub fail... Hood popped off and sunk it.

Last edited by rwilliamtaylor; 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM.
    89 Kawi 550sx hull with Yamaha Superjet 6m6 motor, dual 500 gph bilge, solas 13/18 prop, footholds, lanyard stop switch, 0* bars

89 Kawi 650sx. SOLD

90 SN Superjet, 61x 701, factory b ltd, ADA head, rule bilge, shortened RN pole, blowsion turn plate, 0 deg bars, skat 12/17 prop, jet dynamics top loader, blowsion klowner footholds, Epic scupper, pole limiter, hood straps.
    sigpic

Comment

• orangefinger
      Top Dog
      • May 2006

define " old dude "

Comment

• Born2speed
        Frequent Poster
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by orangefinger View Post
        define " old dude "
        LMAO! You beat me to it! WTF you talking about old? The old saying was "never trust anyone over 40" is that your start point? lol.

Comment

• JSNate
          • Apr 2010

It's open for interpretation as far as age... I remember that old saying and I thought it went more like this "never trust anyone over 30"...
          sigpic

Comment

• Jetfixr
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by orangefinger View Post
            define " old dude "
            Yeah??? What the heck is that supposed to mean, 50 is the new 30 so go figure.....
            Jet

Comment

• AC 46
              • Apr 2010

This is me at 50...old?
              Attached Files
              sigpic R.I.P. Super Sic

Comment

• JSNate
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by AC 46 View Post
                This is me at 50...old?
                Awesome!! This is the type of stuff I was hoping to see us old dudes doing!!
                sigpic

Comment

• SteveTec
                  Top Dog
                  • Feb 2004

The Day I Have To Sit is the Day I Quit !!!
                  NEVER TO OLD
                  Attached Files
                  Visit Our E-Bay Store
                  http://stores.ebay.com/APS-JETSKI-and-ATV-Parts

Action Power Sports Inc.
                  Extreme Motorsports Center
                  CHANDLER, ARIZONA.
                  http://www.actionpowersports.net

Comment

• Born2speed
                    Frequent Poster
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by JSNate View Post
                    It's open for interpretation as far as age... I remember that old saying and I thought it went more like this "never trust anyone over 30"...
                    I stand corrected, thank you. This should be a great thread, there are lots of "Old Dudes" who get out. And if you got air time lets see it!
                    Last edited by Born2speed; 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• FOG
                      Top Dog
                      • May 2004

In 2002, sitting in the stands watching the racing at the World Finals, I commented to my wife that I wish I had discovered standups at an earlier age and how I wished I could race the World Finals just once in my life...sort of a bucket list item. She commented that I could do whatever I put my mind (and body) to. However, at 47 years old, I had doubts.

Fast forward to '03...I contacted Greg 'Maddog' Matta in Las Vegas (we were living in northern Utah) and inquired about his racing school. Long story short, we met Maddog and the rest of the Vegas crew that year and I started my first year racing at the Arena Cross events outside of Vegas. I grabbed the Region 10 Championship plate that year. But that was only because I showed up for every race and accumulated points towards overall total. If there were five racers in my class, I would finish fifth. But I was racing and I loved it.

The race number I chose for my ski was 481, 48 being my age and 1 signifying my first year of racing. To this day, fading from the years, my ski still sports my number.

As timing and luck would have it, '03 was the first year that the IJSBA defined the Masters Ski class, offering both stock and superstock classes that year at the World Finals. I sent my entry into the IJSBA for the Finals and began riding my mountain bike daily and dropping practice buoys into the lake regularly.

When October finally arrived, we flew my son up from TX to Vegas and then headed to Havasu. Our camper was right above Performance Alley and we could see the entire course from our pad. The race course was huge that year, taking well over a minute to complete a lap and even longer for me.

The qualifier was just a formality since the class (Masters Superstock) was just shy of sixteen racers. However, for me, it was the first time I had been on a real course, having only raced the small Arena Cross events previously. It kicked my butt and I struggled for stamina after three laps. However, I rode the 9 laps and enjoyed the personal accomplishment.

Race day was a whirl of activity all day long with getting ski to pits, practice laps, ski in and out of water, etc. But when it was time for my first moto, everything came together to create one of the most memorable days of my life.

My son and I walked my ski thru the water to staging and after short riders meeting, we waited to be called to the line. When we were finally called to the line, I stood in the water on the starting line of the World Finals looking up at the bleachers where I had sat so many times before wishing then that I was where I was now! But the most enjoyable aspect of this was that I was able to stand there with my son and share this dream come true. I had family in the bleachers, friends in the pits, my son at my side, and butterflies in my stomach...it doesn't get any better!

As for the race, both motos were brutal. Eight laps for moto 1 and seven laps for moto 2. My stamina was gone after several laps but I managed to complete both motos. If I passed someone, it was because they had fallen or had mechanical problems. But I rode as hard as I was capable of and placed 12th overall.

Moto 1 was where I got tagged with FOG (fast old guy) by my good friend Steve. I was holding third for the first two laps with Steve behind me in fourth. I went down in the long, sweeping right turn and several got past me. After the moto, Steve said he was wondering who the fast old guy was in front of him until he recognized my gray pony tail descending from the back of my helmet. The moniker stuck and I'm happy to this day to be known as FOG.
                      Attached Files
                      I'll quit before I sit~~~

Comment

• JSNate
                        • Apr 2010

Great story, FOG! I was hoping you would find this thread and tell your story and post pictures. Well done, sir!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Taynton
                          Resident Guru
                          • May 2009

ya man great story! its an inspiration and a reminder that some of us just LOVE to race! everything about it, the prep, the friends, the competition

nothin like a gate drop.
                          sigpic
                          1989 JS 550__________Jet Sport scoop intake
                          Factory Half pipe______Jet Sport skegged rideplate
                          Skat-Trak 15.5* _______JRE quicksteer plate
                          bored nozzle__________JRE -2'' sub plate
                          honed pump__________JRE adjustable bars (0*)
                          OP steering nozzle_____VORTEX F/A
                          OP reduction nozzle____BCW intake,
                          SBN44 carb__________Jet Sport head
                          OP alu bedplate______Jet works FCV

Comment

• theVetteman3
                            • Jul 2008

Wow what a great story FOG! And great idea Nate. Those who aren't at this esteemed spot yet will be one day!
                            1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
                            2009 1100 SJ:
                            Kawi 1100 build in progress
                            2009 SJ MINT:
                            KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
                            1987 WJ650:
                            6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [49.1mph gps]
                            1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
                            1995 SJ MINT:
                            Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Comment

• hyosung
                              • Aug 2010

one comment ??????????????????????????????? what old guys ....i prefer to call it experienced..... 50 + here and still freeride at least once a week... all seasons .... trying to figure a walking frame adapter for the X2 for when im 70 """"thats old """"""""""""""""
                              http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

Working...
                              X