User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: A salute to the Old Dudes that still ride Jet Skis!

In 2002, sitting in the stands watching the racing at the World Finals, I commented to my wife that I wish I had discovered standups at an earlier age and how I wished I could race the World Finals just once in my life...sort of a bucket list item. She commented that I could do whatever I put my mind (and body) to. However, at 47 years old, I had doubts.

Fast forward to '03...I contacted Greg 'Maddog' Matta in Las Vegas (we were living in northern Utah) and inquired about his racing school. Long story short, we met Maddog and the rest of the Vegas crew that year and I started my first year racing at the Arena Cross events outside of Vegas. I grabbed the Region 10 Championship plate that year. But that was only because I showed up for every race and accumulated points towards overall total. If there were five racers in my class, I would finish fifth. But I was racing and I loved it.

The race number I chose for my ski was 481, 48 being my age and 1 signifying my first year of racing. To this day, fading from the years, my ski still sports my number.

As timing and luck would have it, '03 was the first year that the IJSBA defined the Masters Ski class, offering both stock and superstock classes that year at the World Finals. I sent my entry into the IJSBA for the Finals and began riding my mountain bike daily and dropping practice buoys into the lake regularly.

When October finally arrived, we flew my son up from TX to Vegas and then headed to Havasu. Our camper was right above Performance Alley and we could see the entire course from our pad. The race course was huge that year, taking well over a minute to complete a lap and even longer for me.

The qualifier was just a formality since the class (Masters Superstock) was just shy of sixteen racers. However, for me, it was the first time I had been on a real course, having only raced the small Arena Cross events previously. It kicked my butt and I struggled for stamina after three laps. However, I rode the 9 laps and enjoyed the personal accomplishment.

Race day was a whirl of activity all day long with getting ski to pits, practice laps, ski in and out of water, etc. But when it was time for my first moto, everything came together to create one of the most memorable days of my life.

My son and I walked my ski thru the water to staging and after short riders meeting, we waited to be called to the line. When we were finally called to the line, I stood in the water on the starting line of the World Finals looking up at the bleachers where I had sat so many times before wishing then that I was where I was now! But the most enjoyable aspect of this was that I was able to stand there with my son and share this dream come true. I had family in the bleachers, friends in the pits, my son at my side, and butterflies in my stomach...it doesn't get any better!

As for the race, both motos were brutal. Eight laps for moto 1 and seven laps for moto 2. My stamina was gone after several laps but I managed to complete both motos. If I passed someone, it was because they had fallen or had mechanical problems. But I rode as hard as I was capable of and placed 12th overall.

Moto 1 was where I got tagged with FOG (fast old guy) by my good friend Steve. I was holding third for the first two laps with Steve behind me in fourth. I went down in the long, sweeping right turn and several got past me. After the moto, Steve said he was wondering who the fast old guy was in front of him until he recognized my gray pony tail descending from the back of my helmet. The moniker stuck and I'm happy to this day to be known as FOG.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'll quit before I sit~~~

http://www.AlexOfHouseWorx.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Great story, FOG! I was hoping you would find this thread and tell your story and post pictures. Well done, sir!

ya man great story! its an inspiration and a reminder that some of us just LOVE to race! everything about it, the prep, the friends, the competition

nothin like a gate drop.

1989 JS 550__________Jet Sport scoop intake
    Factory Half pipe______Jet Sport skegged rideplate
    Skat-Trak 15.5* _______JRE quicksteer plate
    bored nozzle__________JRE -2'' sub plate
    honed pump__________JRE adjustable bars (0*)
    OP steering nozzle_____VORTEX F/A
    OP reduction nozzle____BCW intake,
    SBN44 carb__________Jet Sport head
    OP alu bedplate______Jet works FCV

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Wow what a great story FOG! And great idea Nate. Those who aren't at this esteemed spot yet will be one day!
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [45.2mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

one comment ??????????????????????????????? what old guys ....i prefer to call it experienced..... 50 + here and still freeride at least once a week... all seasons .... trying to figure a walking frame adapter for the X2 for when im 70 """"thats old """"""""""""""""
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

FOG thats an awesome story man! I hope that I can still be riding standups in 25 years from now .. haha... every once in a while I go to a part on lake norman here and there are several guys who setup and run bouys.. theres a guy in his either late 50s or very early 60s that comes out and rides there too! incredible watching him ride with some of the guys there.. one of the guys that comes out to run is a current isjba racing champion as well soo theres some great competition out there.. i can honestly say the older guy can spank my young buck a$$ all over the bouy course too haha
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 06-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Some pictures back in the day.. The photo on the trailer was taken in the late 80's at a local IJSBA race. The other pictures are of me warming up on the course before the race... I did'nt do well that day in closed course, but I did do well in slalom and freestyle. The other pictures were taken in the late 80's at a local lake. That ski eventually became my favorite ski at the time. I used to ride it in the Great Lakes a lot..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JSNate; 06-02-2012 at 04:12 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Sweet Jeepster Nate!
    Looking pretty swoll bro, lol.
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 06-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

Nate, what did you have done to the red ski in the pics?? looks like it ran very well
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Quote Originally Posted by PrickofMisery View Post
    Sweet Jeepster Nate!
    Looking pretty swoll bro, lol.
    That was a 1967 Jeepster freshly restored/customized painted to match a 1972 Ski Natique. Both were painted in Coca-Cola red with tuck and roll interiors... It belonged to a good friend of mine pictured driving the Jeepster.. It was a cool way to show up at a race.

Quote Originally Posted by fastgtfairlane View Post
    Nate, what did you have done to the red ski in the pics?? looks like it ran very well
    That ski was a 1986 JS550 PP that went through stages of engine and pump mods. At that time it had an aftermarket pipe, milled head with a reshaped squish, waterbox, bored, Extrude Hone pump with a bored stock nozzle. And I think I was running a 15.5* or 16* impeller... Butch's did the cylinder head and most of the parts came from them or Proffer Kawasaki. It ran real well but it was not my fastest ski at the time.. I wanted this ski to have a lot of low end to ride the waves in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. I also preferred this ski for freestyle and slalom.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information