Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    PWCToday Guru

Re: is this a dead battery?

oh yea, didnt realize I didnt update this thread. I did swap batteries...still no signs of life with the good battery in the dead ski. Swapped between the old and new relays with that good battery in the dead ski too...no beeps..

PWCToday Guru

if i pick up a multimeter is there some sequence of testing I could do to determine where the problem is? could it be the dash/display? I thought i read that those went bad sometimes but i dont know if the lanyard would still at least beep...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Take a DVM set to VDC and take a reading from the negative terminal on the battery [- terminal] to the engine block. If there is any SIGNIFICANT differential between them, the grounding system on your 'ski is bad.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

PWCToday Guru

I assume DVM is digital voltmeter? What is VDC? I will pick one up tonight and do what I can.

You mean to put the + from the DVM on the +battery terminal and then put the - from the DVM to the negative battery terminal and compare this reading with the reading I get when I have + on DVM connected to +battery terminal with -DVM connected to...the block itself?

If the grounding system in my ski is bad what does that imply? Just trying to get a handle on what parts (if any) I might need to be ordering and what I can do to get this backin the water ASAP (I am traveling for a lot of september so I only have a limited number of weekends left in the season unless we have another warm october)

thanks!

also JR: does this sound like a bad main relay or something different? you think the one I got was a dud?
    Last edited by slug420; 08-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.

PWCToday Guru

picked up a multimeter and set it to dc volts (i assume thats what VDC is?)...put + from meter on + battery (installed in ski) and - from meter on - battery and got 13v, then put the + meter on + battery (installed in ski) and - meter on the engine...at first it was low but after a second it went up to 13..bounced down to 11 a couple times but was basically at 13.

what does this tell us? where can i look next?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by slug420 View Post
    if i pick up a multimeter is there some sequence of testing I could do to determine where the problem is? could it be the dash/display? I thought i read that those went bad sometimes but i dont know if the lanyard would still at least beep...
    Remove the storage box up front and unplug the 10pin blue connector for the dash. With the multimeter check the wires on the opposite side of the dash. The wires going to the ECM. Check the green wire and make sure it is getting ground signal.
    BACK-UP VOLTAGE LINE
    Measure the voltage between the Red/green (+) and
    Green () wire terminals.
    There should be battery voltage at all times.
    If there is no voltage, check the following:
    open circuit in the Red/green wire between the
    combination meter connector and sub-fuse E
    blown sub-fuse E (5 A)
    open circuit in the Red/white wire between subfuse
    E and main fuse
    blown main fuse (30 A)
    open circuit in the Red wire between the main fuse and battery.
    With the lanyard connected check to see if you get 12v at the red/blue wire.
    If your power and grounds are all good. Then swap out the dash with a good one to confirm.

Also a bad dash will not beep with lanyard plugged in...
    Last edited by Bakemono 415; 08-09-2012 at 03:01 AM.
    2004 Aqua trax R-12X
    Macsboost 31
    2004 Honda CBR600RR

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bakemono 415 View Post
    Remove the storage box up front and unplug the 10pin blue connector for the dash. With the multimeter check the wires on the opposite side of the dash. The wires going to the ECM. Check the green wire and make sure it is getting ground signal.

BACK-UP VOLTAGE LINE
    Measure the voltage between the Red/green (+) and
    Green () wire terminals.
    There should be battery voltage at all times.
    If there is no voltage, check the following:
    open circuit in the Red/green wire between the combination meter connector and sub-fuse E
    blown sub-fuse E (5 A)
    open circuit in the Red/white wire between subfuse E and main fuse
    blown main fuse (30 A)
    open circuit in the Red wire between the main fuse and battery.
    With the lanyard connected check to see if you get 12v at the red/blue wire.
    If your power and grounds are all good. Then swap out the dash with a good one to confirm.

Also a bad dash will not beep with lanyard plugged in...
    Thanks for your help. Are all of the fuses you are referring to in that little panel in the back by the battery? I have checked all those a number of times. Also what do you mean by "open circuit in the _____", im just not clear on what I should be doing for that test.

If I have voltage when I check the red/green in the blue plug then I need a new dash? (holy crap...500 dollar part...ouch) but if I dont have voltage then the issue is somewhere between the battery and that plug?

this sucks...first time my honda has had to sit in the garage on a summer weekend with great weather

PWCToday Guru

so I did + on red/green to - on green (green was the top middle pin on the connector and the red/green was bottom right?) and had 12v

attached lanyard and got 12v with + on red/blue (bottom left pin) and - on green (top middle)

Does this mean its my dash?
    37100-HW3-671 METER, COMBINATION

What is your level of confidence this is the problem before I spend 500 on the part
    Last edited by slug420; 08-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

You should try swapping out the dash with your other ski if its the same part. I recently blew out my dash when i hooked up a battery charger to my dead battery. And tried starting the ski with the battery tender still hooked up. Looked at the wiring diagram and check all my power and grounds to the dash which were all good. I didnt have a spare dash to test so i just ordered one.
    2004 Aqua trax R-12X
    Macsboost 31
    2004 Honda CBR600RR

Anything new on what happend? I just had this same thing happen to me a few hours ago. New battery and nothing, no beeps, just dead. Hopefully you have it figured out so it will help me out, too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information