User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Thread: blown up sxr

blown up sxr

IMAG0200.jpgmy sxr was running poorly so i pulled the plugs and found that oil was oil soake and the other wasnt. so i pulled the heads and saw whats in the pic. can i get away with piston, rings, and hone the cyl or what do i need to replace to get me back on the water.
    Last edited by mikewolfram87; 05-07-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Re: blown up sxr

Quote Originally Posted by mikewolfram87 View Post
    IMAG0200.jpgmy sxr was running poorly so i pulled the plugs and found that oil was oil soake and the other wasnt. so i pulled the heads and saw whats in the pic. can i get away with piston, rings, and hone the cyl or what do i need to replace to get me back on the water.

out of curisoity. what mods were you running? take some detailed pics after you pull the cylinder. there is no way of know until you pull the cyl off and inspect the crank, bearings, cases, etc.....

we'll go from there.

like inchadeboca said pull the cylinder . check for grooves and scoring in the cylinder as well . what oil do you run what mix and what Jetting?check you base gasket for leaks. the stock sxr base gaskets are junk.what year is it? check that you didn't completely loose air air screw on your carb .your way off somewhere in jetting or a possible intake leak. use can use a metal base gasket on install and save your self some grief later .
    2006 SXR superstock

any updates

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

You should check the wear limits on the cylinder and the pistons since you have the motor apart. That clean top piston is clean because of a water leak (possible had gasket failure) or a warped head/cylinder. Were all of the nuts on the head evenly tight, disassembly is almost like a CSI job trying to find and remember the things that you found during the removal.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thanks to these companies for their great products and services.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Get that cylinder off to let the water evaporate out of the bottom end before you rust some main and lower rod bearings. Take your measurements to see what needs to be done and go from there.

Home of Newmiller Machine

i did remove the cyl and ran a hone threw it and some of the groves seemed to deep. i am an auto tech but havent meed with these thing too much. i took it to a guy who has a shop localy to see what he thinks i should do and he said he can bore the cyl out and put a little bigger piston in. but i also brought the head to him cuz i could tell that something had let go in the engine from the guy who owned it before me. i guess he had milled the head down soo much that the domes seemd like they were almost gone, prob to get higher comp. so im gonna have that one guy do the machine work for me and im gonna get a new head for it. but how often should i be doing a top end rebuild on these engines. i ride pertty much year round and every weekend all day during the summer? also when i get the cyl and piston back and get this thing back to life dose any one have any pinoters on tuning the carbs? and whats a good break in ride for it?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

If it were me... I would replace both pistons and go no bigger than necessary to clean the bore up. WSM and Pro-X sell pistons in .25mm increments.
    With pump gas compression you should easily see 400-500 hours from a top end or more even. Do a search on here for break in procedure and use which ever one you want,
    however, don't baby it and use petroleum based oil for the fist 5-10 gallons of gas and then switch to a name brand full synthetic pre-mix oil.
    Do another search or start a thread listing your engine mods and asking for help with the carbs. Yo will also need to verify that the ignition timing has not been advanced with
    a jumper or an advance plate.
    I am having a hard time with your posts, please try to clean up the grammar and spelling as it is very difficult to read/understand them.

Home of Newmiller Machine

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Bigger pictures please

Stick with the Pro-X pistons over the WSM. When you get it back and running call me. I would like to ride at folsom. If you really want to get some kick out of it get in touch with www.wcporting.com WaterWoody Kevin. He has done some fast SXR's.
    Save up to 30% by becoming an AMSOIL Preferred Customer

Prices listed are Retail. E-mail or Call me for a price quote.
    http://www.TrySyntheticOil.com
    Kevin Stubaus AMSOIL Dealer for over 20 years
    Kevin@TrySyntheticOil.com
    1-800-AMSOIL-4U (267-6454)

Yamaha 2001 GP1200R W/RXPX Engine in it
    Polaris 785 Pro Super Stock
    2000 Polaris Pro 1200 Super Stock
    Kawi 550 Mod, Stroker Reed Motor

Thread Information