User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Help titling trailer N.C.

Hopefully someone can help me out...

I bought a repo'd Honda Aquatrax w/ Titan trailer back in '09 from S.C. I've tried different things over the last couple of years to title the trailer with no progress. When I bought it, they wrote the Bill of Sale for the whole package. NC requires a separate Bill of Sale for the trailer (says the DMV). I contacted the guy I bought it from back in '09 when I originally tried to title the trailer, but he's no help now that he has the $$$. What's my options? I pretty much have no proof of ownership of the trailer.

I'm up for any idea's...

Re: Help titling trailer N.C.

In NY state I've registered trailers as homemade. This involves getting the trailer weighed, a few forms and they give you a new VIN that you are supposed to stamp into the trailer. Check with your local DMV office about how to register a homemade trailer. DO NOT say anything about how you got the trailer because that will raise red flags.

resident guru

We register here as home-made as well..

PWCToday Guru

Going to a local license agency may not be best approach, if that is what you did. When I had some problems a few years back, I called the state office and explained the situation. I ended up mailing in a copy of the bill of sale to the state office, with the part concerning the trailer heavily circled for emphasis. This of course assumes the trailer info was actually on the combined bill of sale. Title arrived a couple of weeks later.
    ===
    2005 FX HO Cruiser, 2007 VX Deluxe
    1995 Raider 1100 & 1995 Raider 700

Yeah, local DMV was a no-go. I've been thinking about going the homebuilt route, but you have to have the trailer inspected by the State Highway Patrol. I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference between my clean triton aluminum trailer & a homebuilt. I've also heard about purchasing a bond on the trailer...

Thanks for the help!

If it's not home made you cannot title it that way. A home made trailer must be inspected by DMV, they will issue you a number that you stamp into the axle and then it's inspected. Again, not home made, no home made title, they know the difference.,
    But, in NC you can take your bill of sale to a bonding agent and for about $100 buy a bond that DMV will accept, and then issue a title. Had to tdo this when I bought a boat with trailer in Florida and only received MSO on the boat, because in Florida you buy a package they title a package, not true here in NC because you're dealing with two different agencies, DMV for the trailer, and wildlife commission for the boat.
    Look in the yellow pages under bonds and you good to go.

Thanks for the good info angus1

Thread Information