Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

How do I tell if my motor is locked up?

This might seem like a dumb question, but how do I tell if my motor is locked up?
    I have a 96 GTS with a 717 motor, which ran fine last season.
    I failed to do any maintainance through the winter other than charge the battery which seems to be fine. When I try to start it, your can her the starter gear "hit" the flywheel but the motor dosen't budge. I've taken off the plastic shield over prop shaft behind the motor and tried to turn it by hand and it dosen't budge.
    I've pulled the spark plugs and it's not hydro-locked.

So do I pull the motor and start disassembling it to find the problem, or is there another way to free up this motor?

Re: How do I tell if my motor is locked up?

If you didn't winterize it and it was exposed to freezing temps. you are probably going to have some motor work to do. Sounds like since you didn't fog your engine before winter the crank bearings may be rusted up or the pistons stuck in the cylinder. The way to tell if it is locked up is what you tried. If it won't turn over it is locked up.
    Last edited by btodd29; 04-25-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Take the head off spray some "pb" penetrating catalyst in the cylinders nd wait about a day. That should free it up but it probably wont run for long or right
    95 xp800 lots of good stuff
    1973 Monza boat 19' 391 stroker pushin 625hp MEAN MACHINE

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Northshorerider View Post
    Take the head off spray some "pb" penetrating catalyst in the cylinders nd wait about a day. That should free it up but it probably wont run for long or right
    You don't really have to take the head off. Just remove the spark plugs and spray that PB Blaster down into the cylinder and wait a day like North says.

I did this same thing with one of the two 96 XPs that I bought in January. One was locked up and wouldn't budge even with a pair of vise grips on the output shaft. PB Blaster freed it up and the ski actually has good compression and runs well! Haven't had it on the water yet, though.
    1994 Waveraider, 1997 GP1200
    2 X 1996 Sea Doo XP

PWCToday Newbie

Pulled the head last night, and one of the pistons had a nice rust bloom around it. soaked it with some penitrating oil for a while and tapped on it with a wooden hammer. It worked free and the bore looks fine.
    This could have been a hard lesson to learn.

Thanks for all the advice.

resident guru

Just as an FYI, a lot of people don't realize that the exhaust system in a Sea Doo engine is always at 100% relative humidity when sitting. On a two stroke, 2 cylinder engine, you will always have one cylinder totally exposed to 100% humidity, since the port will be uncovered. And if the engine is sitting just right, you could have both cylinders exposed.

This is why fogging is absolutely required on these engines for storage.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

FYI, A rusty impellor shaft inside the jetpump can be the cause of such a problem too, so before you or anyone else pulls the motor out for repair, the jetpump need to be eliminated as a possible reason that the motor will not turn over.

On models with bearing carriers instead of carbon ring driveshaft seals, the bearing can be rusted to the driveshaft, also causing a motor to be unturnable.
    Bill O'Neal
    www.watercraftmagic.net
    For repairs and/or parts and appointments only:
    626 914 9509 M-F 10 am to 5 pm PST, ask for Chris.

Always speak your mind because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
    Just as an FYI, a lot of people don't realize that the exhaust system in a Sea Doo engine is always at 100% relative humidity when sitting. On a two stroke, 2 cylinder engine, you will always have one cylinder totally exposed to 100% humidity, since the port will be uncovered. And if the engine is sitting just right, you could have both cylinders exposed.

This is why fogging is absolutely required on these engines for storage.
    That is some of the best advice one can get about storing two strokes with wet exhaust systems.
    Bill O'Neal
    www.watercraftmagic.net
    For repairs and/or parts and appointments only:
    626 914 9509 M-F 10 am to 5 pm PST, ask for Chris.

Always speak your mind because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I started fogging my motor after every ride. Seadoo's are to hard to work on, not to mention the expense of fixing them. Fogging the motor is one of the easier things to do to a Seadoo. It is also one of the most important part of owning a ski.

PWCToday Newbie

What do you use to fog your motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information