Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anyone ever use a Hydro trailer?

I now remember I bought the "butterfly" mount from HT and now that the season is here and reading your post, maybe now is the time to take it for a ride. I can't remember what I did with the mount and i recall it cost about a hundred bucks. I gotta find that darn thing. I recall I did not want to bore any holes in my 1100 STX and got to thinking under rough water, the hinge would damage my rear end, thus the reason I thought about using the heavy gauged PVC. I would rather break the PVC than damage my STX.

If I had a Sea Doo, I wouldn't care since most pre 2000 Doo's are used for HT's. lol

If I was on the SD Forum I know heavy duty flack would be incoming with that comment.

How does a hinge hurt the ski once its mounted? As for the ski mount, go to ace hardware, buy a gate hinge for $10, knock the connecting pin out and tada! You have a hydrotrailor mount.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Wife's ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, protec pipe, H2o designs waterbox, Newmiller head 175psi w/girdle, protec ride plate, Protec mod'd cdi, UMI grate, RN pole -4", rev footholds, solas prop, sweet green turf+wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

B&S, to my way of thinking, drilling holes on the back deck of my Kawi to attach the HT mount would expose the rear deck to be torn at the mounting site should the Kawi encounter turbulent water. The bopping up and down of both crafts would put stress on the HT mount attached to the deck.

That is just my theory, thus the reason I never used the mount. I know I bought the mount, but maybe I returned it, or maybe it is somewhere in my garage????

PWCToday Newbie

This is a general response to the comments/questions about the Quadel Hydro Trailer. It seems as though what's missing is someone who has actually owned and used a hydro trailer on the water. I've had mine since 2003 and have used it on a fairly challenging body of water--Lake Powell. I've been to Powell twice and have navigated the entire length (150 miles approx.). on a 2001 Sea Doo GTX-DI. I used my hydro trailer on the 2nd trip along with my brother (who also owns one). We put in at Bullfrog and took them down to Wahweap near Paige, AZ. I had installed the hitch on the rear deck of my GTX-DI without a problem; however, I had incorrectly connected the towbar. Unfortunately, the towbar broke about 1/2 way down the lake and I had to tow the trailer with a rope instead. I was concerned about towing it by rope and the length of time it would take to get to Wahweap. I decided to put it to the test and I gradually increased my speed until I was at a comfortable 40mph with a planed-out hydro trailer. It performed very well and wasn't "squirrely". I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up taking a shuttle into Paige and found a boat shop that had a hydro trailer on display. They were kind enough to let me take the towbar with me to complete our trip, and I purchased/sent them a replacement after I returned home to Colorado.

Some observations/comments: The hinge didn't damage the Sea Doo during use; however, you must realize that there is a pin that is inserted through rubber grommets on the hitch mounted to the Sea Doo. The pin is attached to the tow bar with braided wire, and is secured with a cotter pin. The system works fine, and I would advise against using a door hinge as someone suggested. There is no "give" in a door hinge, and I would be concerned that it would stress and crack the rear deck of the PWC.

Overall, I think the hydro trailer worked well. We stocked it (and the Sea Doos) full of sleeping bags, clothing, food, gas cans, water skis, etc. It's a great way to camp and enjoy PWC's at the same time. Let me know if you have any questions with which I can help.
    "

Interesting post Biker. My HT has been sitting in the back of my garage since I bought it for the reason expressed earlier; I am very concerned about the mounting plate damaging the rear of my Jet Skin in turbulent waters. The JS is made of fiberglass-not steel.

I am in Parker, AZ this week on the River and when I get home I think I am going to tinker with figuring out a different way to tow it.

If I can tow a fully loaded hydrotrailor behind a 650sx standup then you guys can tow it fine with a sitdown. And I've done that multible times. Even got a good jump off a wave once, landing wasn't pretty though lol. I feel it would take some seriously messed up water conditions and alot of time pounding the ski to do any damage.
    Last edited by bored&stroked; 07-20-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Wife's ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, protec pipe, H2o designs waterbox, Newmiller head 175psi w/girdle, protec ride plate, Protec mod'd cdi, UMI grate, RN pole -4", rev footholds, solas prop, sweet green turf+wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

PWCToday Newbie

As I mentioned, I've towed a hydro trailer on Lake Powell where the main channel can get very choppy--especially if you're following one of the tourist boats. I drilled my fiberglass deck on my Sea Doo GTX and didn't have any damage after towing it up and down the lake. I understand the concern, since I had the same concern before I installed my hitch. If someone comes up with a better way to attach the hitch, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, consider using a tow rope as I did for part of my trip--it worked well at speeds up to 40mph.

I didn't want to drill any holes in my ski either so this is what I came up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Newbie

I made tow whips and moved the hydro away from jetwash. works perfect 34480_1498487907454_2926938_n.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

Please provide some more details of what you made and a few pictures.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information