Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Turbo Fan Locked Up

Hoping this will help someone out there who isn't mechanically inclined.

Issue: Honda Aquatrax F12X would not go over 30 MPH and was very very slow to get up on plane.

Known Problem: Turbo fan locking up or waste gate stuck.

Resolution: Pulled the main intake line, cranked the ski and confirmed the fan was not spinning. Because of the tight angles, the only way I was able to confirm this was to stick my iphone down in front of the opening of the hose and record a video while the ski was running. This has been covered many of times on the forum already, but I never really saw any pictures. This brings me to the purpose of this post, which I hope these pictures will help.

There is also a video that shows the fans spinning first, and then not spinning.

Note that this was a 20 minute fix once I confirmed this was the issue. Please take special note that these blades are very sharp and very fragile.

1. I first covered the fan with PB Blaster, and let it sit for a few minutes.
    2. After trying to move the fan back and forth with a rag over my fingers so I didn't cut myself, it still wasn't budging.
    3. I remembered JR IN JAX's post stating there is a very small nut on the very middle of the fan that can be turned to help break the fan lose. Getting aggravated, I decided to give it a shot. It still took a few minutes to break it free using vice grips, but finally I was able to turn it. If you choose to use tools to turn the fan, please do so with extreme caution. The nut is very small and if the tool slips and hits one of the fan blades, you are sure to break it off. (See pictures below so you will know what you are trying to grab).
    4. Once I was able to break the fan free, I started it up and of course the fans were spinning again. After putting it into the water, ski is back to working as normal.

Uploaded Video On YouTube to show Ski cranked and fan not spinning:
    http://youtu.be/ukh4z3ARcjU

A decent picture on what the fan looks like, showing how small the nut in the middle is:
    IMG_0078.jpg

Uploaded video on YouTube to show Ski cranked and fan spinning:
    http://youtu.be/R8P4y-xk2ng

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Turbo Fan Locked Up

Very Helpful post, thanks much!
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Top Dog

You need to keep more spray on that turbo......... i see alot of saltwater deposits on compressor wheel and housing

My biggest fear would be, if it took a few minutes with a pair of vise grips and was locked that bad, it's just a matter of time now. I'd hate for it to stick period and one easy to move stick I could get over but if it locked, i'd be hunting for a back up. I'm just saying.
    07 Honda F12X Saphire Blue
    MacBoost, Large intercooler, solas intake grate and impeller.

03 Honda F12X Red

Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

05 SeaDoo GTX 4-tec Supercharged

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X,

Need to have:
    F15X

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spatera View Post
    My biggest fear would be, if it took a few minutes with a pair of vise grips and was locked that bad, it's just a matter of time now. I'd hate for it to stick period and one easy to move stick I could get over but if it locked, i'd be hunting for a back up. I'm just saying.
    Not to hijack this thread but....

Steve,
    How is the water level in the Suwannee right now?
    We are taking the boat to Silver Glenn this Saturday.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Low, low, low. 4.6' above sea level at Rock Bluff station. We need some rain up north to fill us up. If you watch the AX men on tv it looks like 20' but a lot of that is shot under the boat sitting at Sandy Point. You could get lost in the cave's by the Ghost boats while the camera man shoots the whole thing. How stupid.

03 Honda F12X Red

Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:

Need to have:
    F15X

PWCToday Regular

same thing happened to me last summer I broke it free while I was at the dock very carefully it was fine after that its a common issue after a long hard winter

I agree. I've seen it and we hear about it all the time but when it's stuck so hard and takes a pair of pliers to move, that can't be good. At over 100,000 rpm, it don't take much.

03 Honda F12X Red

Used to have:

Need to have:
    F15X

My turbo stuck twice this winter. I pulled the ski in the shop twice to do some work and i wanted to make sure it was ok. It was locked up both times. My wife's was fine which is strange. Both skis have only been in fresh water and literally no signs of rust on any components on the ski. I just spray some penetrant on it and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then i can spin it by hand(fingers) easily.
    2006 Honda Aquatrax F12x-Macsboost module,custom intercooler, air filter/breather, H2O plenum, FPR, muffled exhaust, tweaked solas 18/30, 19psi, livorsi boost gauge, modded intake grate and ride plate
    2007 Honda Aquatrax F12x GPS-the wife's, Macsboost module, H2O plenum, and air filter/breather

Frequent Poster

Would you spray on the turbo fan every ride like you would with the wastegate acuator ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information