Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

Re: waterbox what does it do

No one answered the question....what is the specific purpose of a water box? Muffler, stop gap for water intrusion, back pressure on a 2 cycle???? I have installed a 760 Yamaha in my 1992 Boston Whaler RAGE which has left "little" space for a water box. The original exhaust manifold has been retained as THAT is important to the overall performance of a 2 cycle. Certainly one can "dial in" top performance with baffles. Something I used to do on my sons 360 4 wheeler when we raced. I can fab a "chambered" pipe if that is important. So, someone out there smart enough to accurately answer the question?
    Last edited by Outside The Box; 02-14-2020 at 08:00 PM.

A water box is a sound reducer (aka muffler) that keeps personal watercraft from being banned from rivers, lakes, and oceans because they are ridiculously loud without them. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the response. If the specific purpose is noise then I can design a muffler accordingly. On this Forum and other sites the purpose varies. That is the reason for my inquiry. Example, required back pressure for proper operation. Having lived on the Golden Gate Canal in Naples I have experienced the political push against PWC's in waterways as they are now illegal to operate (I owned two at that time). Not due to noise but inappropriate operation on the part of the operators ...which comes down to respect for others. Back to my initial question, what is the full purpose of a water box?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information