Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Js550 spark problems

the year of the jetski? or year of multimeter? and test those wires with the multimeter right?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Year of the ski is only curiousity. When you changed the CDI you changed it with a like CDI correct? (same color wires)

Remove the ebox, disconnect the black and blue wires coming from the start stop switch, with your meter on OHM test for continuity between the wires. The circuit should be open, until the red button is pressed.
    Next remove the two 10mm bolt that hold on the cap were the stator wires enter the ebox, disconnect the molex plug.
    - Test the resistance between the Excitor coil wire colors red and black. You should get a reading in the 112-168 OHM range.
    - While you are there also test between the pulser coil wire colors red and gray. You should get a reading in the 14.4 - 21.6 OHM range

Attched is the testing values and steps for the stopper module.

Oh, and I am positive Tom will chime in any minute!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 02-24-2012 at 11:58 PM.

I thought it was the cdi the whole time so i went and bought a whole new/ used ebox. Yes they are like cdi units. watch it be the stator thats the problem. Its an 1988. Thank you so much you have no idea how much i appreciate it. tomarrow i will run these tests and let you know how it goes. hopefully its just a shortened stop switch relay, how much would a new stop switch relay cost and how much would a new stator cost?

New or new used?
    If its a stopper or the stop switch I will send you one for free, just cover the shipping. A good used stator will run you in the $70 area, however you can buy just the coil brand new and install and solder it into the harness if it is faulty. A new stator assy is going to be several hundred dollars, and its very likely you do not need a assy.

Where did you get the ebox? The CDI/Coil can be tested as well. .
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 02-25-2012 at 12:12 AM.

i got it used. Ok thank you so much i will let you know forsure. Ok i hope not. Like i said i was just riding and all of a sudden it got like sluggish then just died and wouldnt start up again and had no spark. I got the ebox off ebay. im sorry to ask this but im just soaking all the help up i can i really like working on this ski and would love for it to run again. Stand ups are so much fun. how would i go about testing the cdi/coil?

I will have to scan and upload the CDI/Coil doc for you. Post here if the other tests dont find the culprit.

How long ago did you buy the box?

if you got a new box, and still no spark, it's probably something outside of the box (stator, start/stop switch, or ground wire). Just my thoughts....

Thanks, i will, I bought the box about 3weeks ago. And by the ground wire you mean the wire from the battery to the engine block or one of the grounds in the ebox. And if in the ebox which ground wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetski61 View Post
    Thanks, i will, I bought the box about 3weeks ago. And by the ground wire you mean the wire from the battery to the engine block or one of the grounds in the ebox. And if in the ebox which ground wire?
    You should have a ground wire from the e-box to the engine. Can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. This one loose or missing wire can drive you nuts swapping other good working parts to try and figure out why it's not getting spark.

wait is this wire like small like the wires in side the ebox? and does it go from like the outside of the ebox attached to a bolt to a bolt on the intake persay? And would that wire not be causing it to spark?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information