Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgas's Avatar

951 cooling circuit

hi Bill. I'm a little confused about the cooling circuit in my boat after installing a strainer:

The cooling line that runs directly to the exhaust is coming in through a fitting on the starboard side of the transom and the exhaust from the head is exiting through a fitting on the port side of the transom. This leads me to believe that the system has been running in reverse, if it at all according to this image:

Should I start looking for damage since it's been run like this? I'm a bit confused as to why it was reversed, although the previous owner did replace the brass pump with a plastic unit at one time.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

Re: 951 cooling circuit

As long as water was circulating throughout the whole water system, there is no reason to believe the motor was damaged. The type of jet pump is irrevelent as both plastic and brass pumps work exactly the same for sending water to the engine.

Alot of people reversed their water system in belief that it may provide quicker warm up time for the engine, or that the domes in the head recieved cooler lake water before being heated up in the exhaust system. There is a belief that this will provide better detonation control.

If the motor is now back to stock, or close to stock, plumb the motor and exhaust as the water cooling diagram shows.
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 02-15-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Bill O'Neal
    www.watercraftmagic.net
    For repairs and/or parts and appointments only:
    626 914 9509 M-F 10 am to 5 pm PST, ask for Chris.

Always speak your mind because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Now I'm curious. The above diagram is for a 98 boat, but it appears I have both the plastic pump and the newer style plate/wedge:

For the 98 the input hose attaches at the tube the garden hose screws into and on the newer style that tube appears to be unused:

Is that an error in the schematic?

Actually, does that mean that the flush fitting works in reverse to the normal coolant flow?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fastgas View Post
    Now I'm curious. The above diagram is for a 98 boat, but it appears I have both the plastic pump and the newer style plate/wedge:

For the 98 the input hose attaches at the tube the garden hose screws into and on the newer style that tube appears to be unused:

Is that an error in the schematic?
    No, the outlet line attaches to where the screw-in tube is. All inlet water lines orginate at the left side fitting of the top of the jetpumps.

When you flush, the water travels backwards through the whole system to dislodge anything caught in a elbo or fitting.
    Bill O'Neal
    www.watercraftmagic.net
    For repairs and/or parts and appointments only:
    626 914 9509 M-F 10 am to 5 pm PST, ask for Chris.

Always speak your mind because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

PWCToday Guru

Sea-doo also flushes in revearse to cool the pump bearings when you are running on waterhose. Xpl guy you should call me I PM you. If your water lines were backwords you will meltdown the rear exhaust hose and outlet.

Where do they sell Jetnetics Purple RAVE adjustment Knobs?

Quote Originally Posted by jconc003 View Post
    Where do they sell Jetnetics Purple RAVE adjustment Knobs?
    I was going to ask the same
    2004 Rxp Stock Motor with other light mods
    1996 Xp Resurrected july 2014/SOLD 2016
    1991 Kawi 750cc Big pin Twin Carb Sport Cruiser Custom (Resurrected Feb 2015 completed June 2015)
    2000 XP Saved Spring 2016- Resurrected July 2016 as new
    2002 Seadoo ISLANDIA/Sold
    CANDoo Pro system

Thread Information