Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

Picked Up "New to Me" Ski (bubbles in gel coat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddkageals
    Frequent Poster
    • Jul 2011

Picked Up "New to Me" Ski (bubbles in gel coat)

Well....I finally grew tired of my project F12X and decided to move on! Well sort of.....I still have the project but now I have another running F12X to ride come spring. I drove down to Atlanta and picked up a 2007 F12X. It's blue and has a boarding step. I got it from its original owner who bought it brand new in 2010 (2007 model). It only has two seasons and 50 hours of fresh water use on it. I was a little disappointed to see that it was pretty dirty when I arrived in Atlanta. I brougt it home, washed and polished it and changed the oil. It looks like brand new and runs smooth as silk. The engine looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Now.....if only I could get it out on the lake! I do have a question though......there are what appear to be bubbles in the gel coat on one side of the ski right below the removable panel and some more bubbles on the bottom of the ski. They are small bubbles and appear to be some sort of manufacturing defect. Anybody seen anything like that before on a Honda?
  • hellcat66
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jul 2008

Re: Picked Up "New to Me" Ski (bubbles in gel coat)

they will buff out with a little honda wax...you being a honda owner should know this...if you wax the bottom of the hull, you will pick up an extra 15mph !!!!

Comment

• 1fatlazysofarider
      Top Dog
      • May 2010

Might be a repair?

Comment

• vnm02
        Frequent Poster
        • Aug 2007

Yes its called boat pox, it is caused by moisture geting between the gelcoat and the fibreglass and then reacts with the resin/catalyst causing air bubbles.

Usually it is casued by water sitting in the footwells for a long period of time.

If you leave the ski to dry for a long long period of time they will reduce but not repair themselves.

The other option is grinding them out and then refilling the side of the ski and re gelcoat or paint.
        Just make sure you do all of them and a bit of the sorrounding area or they wil come back.
        Keep the skis footwells dry at all times and this should prevent this.

The resin that is used in the manufacturing is proberly not the best quality

Comment

• toddkageals
          Frequent Poster
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by hellcat66 View Post
          they will buff out with a little honda wax...you being a honda owner should know this...if you wax the bottom of the hull, you will pick up an extra 15mph !!!!
          The bubbles are all the way throught the gel coat. If you were to shear one off, you would down to the "fiberglass". They would have to be ground off. They are in a spot where water would not sit so...........

Comment

• Derk
            Frequent Poster
            • Jul 2011

Glad to hear you bought another f12x. I bought my wifes f12x(black metallic) up near you in Orange, VA. When you say Roanake, are you in VA or NC?
            2006 Honda Aquatrax F12x-Macsboost module,custom intercooler, air filter/breather, H2O plenum, FPR, muffled exhaust, tweaked solas 18/30, 19psi, livorsi boost gauge, modded intake grate and ride plate
            2007 Honda Aquatrax F12x GPS-the wife's, Macsboost module, H2O plenum, and air filter/breather

Comment

• toddkageals
              Frequent Poster
              • Jul 2011

VA. Usually ride on Smith Mountain Lake.

Comment

• JR IN JAX
                • Jun 2003

Just like was said above, the bubbles are where water is absorbed through the gel-coat and it reacts with the resin in the laminate under it. Any hull can have it happen if left in the water long enough. Many times the blisters will generate enough gas pressure to pop of the gel-coat. The best repair is to have a Pro grind them out and then use an epoxy to fill the void before re gel-coating the surface.
                Honda Pilot NAVI
                F150 4x4
                3 '06 F12Xs
                CR250
                2 CR80s
                1 XR100
                2 PW50s
                1 Vento Phantom 150
                1 Honda SHI 150
                '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
                Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
                The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Comment

• M. Cole
                  I dream skis
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hellcat66 View Post
                  Out of the 2544 posts you have made that was most likely your smartest and most original.

Comment

• mastermindpro
                    PWCToday Guru
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by M. Cole View Post
                    Out of the 2544 posts you have made that was most likely your smartest and most original.
                    sigpic

Comment

• wveers98
                      PWCToday Newbie
                      • Jun 2017

My brother left a 2006 unused for 4 yrs with only 17 hrs on the engine. If perfect condition except it has a case of the "boat pox". So glad this forum is here to confirm the cause and it does "happen". It does not affect its use, but I may try some of the remedies recommended, except expecting it to "just be buffed out"

Comment

• wveers98
                        PWCToday Newbie
                        • Jun 2017

One other question for the forum...there is also rust color discoloration in the footwells. I saw youtube videos using toilet bowl cleaner. I am confident it would remove the stains because I have used on rust stained porcelain plates, but will it harm the fiberglass> "The Works" brand is the best, but pretty strong.

Comment

• JR IN JAX
                          • Jun 2003

Home Depot sells a rust remover made by Goop that does a great job of removing rust stains and will not harm the Gel Coat. Be sure to store the ski with the bow up high or the footwells will fill with water and spill over into the engine bay. All hulls should be stored bow up so no water can stand in them and ruin the laminate inside the hull.
                          Honda Pilot NAVI
                          F150 4x4
                          3 '06 F12Xs
                          CR250
                          2 CR80s
                          1 XR100
                          2 PW50s
                          1 Vento Phantom 150
                          1 Honda SHI 150
                          '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
                          Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
                          The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Comment

• AirJunky
                            Frequent Poster
                            • Sep 2015

Google the term "osmosis" sometime..... it happens on a lot of fiberglass boats when left on the water for long periods of time. The small bubbles are not typically any worse than rock chips on your truck. But eventually they can get bigger & this is when the bubbles can pop or crack & let water inside more easily, which will weaken the fiberglass & cause structural damage.
                            -
                            Bill

Current ride is an almost stock 94 550SX
                            Current project is a 92 Super Chicken SC650
                            My JS550 build
                            . - SOLD

Comment

• wveers98
                              PWCToday Newbie
                              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by AirJunky View Post
                              Google the term "osmosis" sometime..... it happens on a lot of fiberglass boats when left on the water for long periods of time. The small bubbles are not typically any worse than rock chips on your truck. But eventually they can get bigger & this is when the bubbles can pop or crack & let water inside more easily, which will weaken the fiberglass & cause structural damage.
                              Thanks gentlemen. I will try the Goop for the rust and be sure if I do not store them in my garage, I will have the front propped to avoid water in the footwells. Just really sad to see this otherwise pristine ski. Of course it is now in the shop getting the Honda tank recall repaired and then started after 4 yrs. Service is saying likely worse case is gummed up fuel pump and/injectors from the old gas sitting in it. I did not try to start it as I wanted all the old gas pulled in the recall to avoid drawing in anymore bad gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X