Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Top Dog

Re: Tips for winterizing your Aquatrax

Quote Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
    Good post - I propose to augment a couple of items.

The fuel tank need not be filled. There is virtually no air transfer via the vent. Vapor pressure of the fuel pretty much eliminates this as an issue. Therefore there is no condensation. It's a bit of an old wives tale, sort of like "never put your battery directly on a concrete floor" (also not an issue.) There is a good argument for leaving your fuel tank nearly empty though - that gives you a chance to fill with fresh fuel in the spring. Personally, my boats are left about half full and stabilized.

Definitely change your oil at the end of the season. Used oil contains dissolved elements from the combustion process. They combine into all sort of nasty compounds over the winter including things like sulphuric acid!

Everyone has a diffrent view on the topic.......what I have listed I have done for 5 years and never had winterizing issues with the ski, and my battery lasted 5 seasons

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

I have requested this to be a sticky for the winter months
    stickied for you - good idea

I dream skis

The thing I do different is I don't remove my battery. I have a rig fixed up that will hold 4 to 5 gallons of antifreeze and it is hooked to my hose and after a 5 - 10 min warm up I can push in the antifreeze in both skis with the motor running. I wouldn't recommend anyone forcing fluids through the system with the engine off with the exception of gravity like Joey does. Why take a chance on getting fluids in the cylinders. I never fog mine either but I keep mine in a building out of the weather. Good post Fats.

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by M. Cole View Post
    The thing I do different is I don't remove my battery. I have a rig fixed up that will hold 4 to 5 gallons of antifreeze and it is hooked to my hose and after a 5 - 10 min warm up I can push in the antifreeze in both skis with the motor running. I wouldn't recommend anyone forcing fluids through the system with the engine off with the exception of gravity like Joey does. Why take a chance on getting fluids in the cylinders. I never fog mine either but I keep mine in a building out of the weather. Good post Fats.

You also read them bedtime stories, and tuck them in with a blanket......... Maybe you should post your getup for everyone to see how YOU pump your antifreeze in LOL

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by 1fatlazysofarider View Post
    You also read them bedtime stories, and tuck them in with a blanket......... Maybe you should post your getup for everyone to see how YOU pump your antifreeze in LOL
    If your gona ride them hard then a little TLC is in order.

PWCToday Newbie

Hey Joey. Nice thread. It seems I've been lucky for the last 4 years. Haven,t done the antifreeze thing. Went out for first ride of year w/ family yesterday. Noticed our 2006 turbo 12 honda settin to low in water. Found water in hull. Long story short found water coming out of front engine from crack. Water in oil also (oil cooler damaged??) but there was no oil in the water in hull. Downloaded Hondas repair manual to give me an idea of where leak is coming from. Seems to be crack in oil tank cover? Water was shooting forward when I had it on trailer on launch figuring out where water was comin from. It is low and can barely reach dow to feel it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.?? I'm assuming engine has to come out?

Top Dog

I dont believe you have to remove motor, a new cover would be the best option, some have used a JB weld on them, Supermac will know, he's the one who has repaired them on his own ski

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdjames1 View Post
    You need to read up on your fuel recommendations. A PWC is not nearly as bad as a boat but leaving the fuel tank half full on a boat can cause bad problems. Read the extensive research by Boat U.S

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ethanolwinter.asp

I am not trying to bash anyone but I want everyone to know what is best for their ski.
    Me too. And that's Ok - I'm not feeling bashed at all. And yes, this topic has been kicked around for years.

I read that article years ago, along with a plethora of other. That particular article has little in the way of actual studies, but is long on opinion. Further, it is old. We now have at least 5 years of experience now with E-10. I prefer to run with fresh fuel in the spring, and the years have proven the condensation theory to be unfounded. If you have phase separation issues in your e-10 fuel, then you have an issue with water getting in to your fuel from a filler seal or a bad source (but not the vent, which has little to no transfer of air.)

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for reply. Ended up replacing the cover & oil cooler. Plenty of room to access by moving fuel tank forward. Problem solved. Not getting full power though. Posted thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...27#post3598627. Gonna try Supermacs rec's on that issue.

The manual specifies RV type antifreeze vs. green auto type, right? Sorry, don't have manual with me.
    2 x 2007 Honda Aquatrax F12 (1 red, 1 blue)
    1990 Jetstar
    4 x Wetbikes (1987, 1988, 1989, 1989)
    Past PWC:
    1992 Yamaha Superjet 650sx, 1997 Sea-Doo XP and GTX, 2004 Sea-Doo 3D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information