Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I dream skis

Re: Advice for moving to Florida from NH

Central and North Florida are "country" in some areas... Deltona doesn't have a mall for instance, you would drive to Daytona or Sanford for that... It has been developing recently though and the main strips have more restaurants then they did a few years back as people move from more expensive areas to cheaper ones.

I have a friend who lives in Deltona and was recently told he is now in a flood zone by FEMA maps, and thus higher insurance. However, it is the 100 year flood zone and there has never been a flood in many decades in his area. I've lived in Seminole county since 1997 and I do not recall ever hearing of a flood anywhere in this area outside of the St John's river getting to the top of it's bank so to speak. When that happened, they made the river a no wake zone for a month, but it never actually flooded houses like you see along the Missisippi or any other river you might see on CNN. Not saying it won't happen, but back in 2004 when we had 3 hurricanes in two weeks, we did not flood. Take that for what's it's worth and what would need to happen to actually flood here. Within minutes of a rainstorm, it is dry... one good thing about Florida. Just buy a home that is higher than your neighbors!

If you want more country type living, even in a neighborhood, then Volusia is a good area. Seminole county is more developed but features all of the creature amenities you might want within a few minutes drive. From Deltona to Longwood is about a 15-20 minute drive, so you have plenty of different lifestyles to choose from if you come down and look within that distance. Longwood is about 40 minutes from Ponce Inlet (the best waves) which is a few miles south of Daytona Beach.
    Last edited by Gator88; 12-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SxiPro View Post
    I'd make a few more visits during different times of the year before finalizing your decision. I am from New England as well, and was looking into doing just what you are. But after visiting a few times, it is just too damn unbearably hot down there. I am gonna grab a cheap place near New Smyrna as a part time home for when I get tired of winter up here and need to escape for a couple weeks at a time. I could never live down there full time. Maybe when I am of retirement age and I need the warmth more, but right now I could not survive that kind of heat all the time.
    When people complain about the heat,I tell them thats what air conditioning is for. LOL

Right now its 80 here.
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 12-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I dream skis

Yes, there are no seasons in Florida other than "bikini weather" and "not bikini weather". Call it anything else, but that is what it boils down to here.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Water Worx View Post
    When people complain about the heat,I tell them thats what air conditioning is for. LOLRight now its 80 here.
    Well, that's the thing. I HATE to be inside.

Me too, unless it's in the garage working on the skis

Rad Dudes
    95 chopped and rockered B1 6mil billet ABLE 801
    Superfreak -2" carbon surf built, Riva ported 771
    For sale: X2 hull, SN hull

If you want to be in the Daytona area check out Port Orange. It's close enough to the action you're looking for but, just far enough from S. Daytona/Holly Hill(Not the best hoods). The schools are decent from what my neighbors told me and the police do a good job of keeping trouble off your doorstep. Nice and quiet neighborhood for raising children. It's less than ten minutes to the beach with traffic or not. Also, it's one of the only towns around Daytona where the houses usually have garages and not just a carport. I absolutely love that place and would move back in a heartbeat. Good luck on the hunt.
    2007 Superjet
    1992 Superjet 650

Well I have a buyer for my house and I close on January 26th so after I sign papers I'll be in a moving truck on my way down to Deltona. Ive reserved a hotel for a month and hopefully within that time I can find a house and a job... Wish me luck! I may need it

Rad Dudes

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

If you sold a house in NH, you'll probably be able to pick up 4 houses in FL. Congrats!!

Haha yeah I wish! Thanks though... I hope my pay rate will be relative to housing prices and the cost of living, that's what I'm mostly concerned about... Oh yeah and getting a job in general
    Last edited by ktm434; 12-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Rad Dudes

Hey hit me up i am in deltona, and from VT. originally. i live right on the border of deland and orange city very close to i-4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information