Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: X2 Death Roll WTF?

Bringing this back to life lol....I just got mine built and around 47mph it rolls left hard & fast and I eat s***. Done it 4 times and each time I tried different techniques to try to stay out of it, but no luck. Left side of ski just rolls hard to left and I lean hard to right but cant bring it back up. Anyone got some riding techniques for this? I'm far back on tray, leaning low with butt back and low as far as I can stretch, and pulling back on bars.
    Last edited by TexomaMan_X2; 07-13-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Let the good times roll

Never read this death roll thread, but my first thought was holly sh$t I finally found the answer!

When the x2 came out in 86' I was on a 440 and a GF had a brand new x2, fell in love with the thing, the ski also, I had to have one, but couldn't swing it till 89' when I picked one up from Temple City Power Sports, (RIP sorta) Still have it. Then in 93' bought another one new from Dana Point Jet Ski (RIP) Still have this one also.

So I have been riding x2's for 33 years straight, all year long. Not a racer, nor am I a subject matter expert. But I swear for the life of me the 89' with its funky straight arm steering, verse the 93' with its squirrel cage, I always thought the "death roll" was becasue of the little jap gremlin in my 89'. That ski has thrown me and just about everyone thats ever rode it. We finally replaced the wimpy OEM rod with an aftermarket one and the problem is 99% gone bye-bye. The 93' never has done it to anyone.

But until I read this thread I always thought the death roll was steering related to the non-squirrel type. hmmmmm.....
    MAGA 2024

update (long overdue) I changed the ride plate and the problem went away. I threw that plate in the trash it had to be tweaked or something
    90 X2 (750), 92 X2 (750), 93 X2 (750),93 X2 (750), 99 Ultra 150(sold) 1995 Waveblaster 1

Frequent Poster

hooka-2 - can I ask you what ride plate you had originally when you didn't have the problem. What ride plate did you have when you DID have the problem. And what ride plate you put on now?
    A friend had a 91 X2 years ago that did this exact same thing and it had a shredmaster on it. We are not sure if that caused it because it's the only ride plate that was even on that ski.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Keihin42 View Post
    hooka-2 - can I ask you what ride plate you had originally when you didn't have the problem. What ride plate did you have when you DID have the problem. And what ride plate you put on now?
    A friend had a 91 X2 years ago that did this exact same thing and it had a shredmaster on it. We are not sure if that caused it because it's the only ride plate that was even on that ski.

Thank you!
    It was a PJS. I have run PJS on my other skis without issue, just not this particular plate. I now run Jet Dynamics concave with no issues.
    90 X2 (750), 92 X2 (750), 93 X2 (750),93 X2 (750), 99 Ultra 150(sold) 1995 Waveblaster 1

Frequent Poster

Thanks for the response. Out of curiousity, was it just a flat, extended PJS plate or did it have skegs like this one?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-65...wAAOSwwKZdFxGI

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Out of curiousity, was it just a flat, extended PJS plate or did it have skegs like this one?

Thanks!
    No skegs just a flat plate I don't think it was extended looked like normal length

Thanks!
    yes it was just like the one in the ad. But like I said I have run these plates on my other X2s and they performed well.

Interesting. My HX did the exact same thing to me. Pretty sure I had the nozzle trim too low for long high speed runs and when I got into a cove with glassy water she hooked right and rag dolled me. Stable as a battleship in chop with nose down, I bet smooth water has something to do with what's happening here (X2 and HX).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cudaben's Avatar

I have had 2 skis do this as well. I think it is in the hulls though. My logic behind this is my JD rideplate didnt fit them all the same. On my last hull the plate is squeezed in tight to align with the bolt holes, causing it to crack. That ski did it, my latest ski even with a crack in the same rideplate there is no death roll.
    I think it comes down to slight hull variations.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is".

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error"
    - John Kenneth Galbraith

Best x2 so far- 91 x2, 750 small pin 750, lightened stock flywheel. Msd enchancer, Coffman pipe, 8/16 c75 prop, tbm stuffer pjs RIP turn nozzle, 7400 rpms. GPS 54 MPH

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information