Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Low idle on a 04 RFI Question

I have and 04 GTI RFI and I have always had a low idle issue with this thing. Seemed to work ok otherwise but always had a hard time hitting 6600 WO. I have virtually swapped or replaced everything related to the ignition system trying to fix this thing, including the entire MPEM unit. Without going into to much detail at this time does anyone know as a “quick check” on where the 2 missing teeth on the ring gear should be in relation to TDC of the mag or pto cylinder looking through the CPS opening? I have the “open window” of the 2 missing teeth when both mag and pto pistons are at there mid points, to be exact 90 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke of the mag cylinder, is this right? I bought this ski with a “new” motor put in by a “wana be” boat repair shop arranged through the previous owner and it’s never been right for the two years I’ve owned it. I replaced the motor since then and noticed the bolts that hold the stator magnets and ring gear have been removed by the shop and “possibly” reinstalled in the wrong location. Could this be why my timing is bouncing all over the place at a 1000rpm’s? Once the RPM’s come up to about 1800 – 2000 as seen with a timing light it hits steady on the .040” mark setup for static timing. Yes I know it needs to be locked by BUDS to make it spot on but I’m trying to avoid the dealer for another expensive bill for now. I’m speculating the computer is somehow trying to compensate because at the low idle and it will jump to 1300 to 1400 for a split second then return to 1000 and sometimes will stall, maybe I’m all wrong. Hope this makes some sense! BTW the TPS has been reset by the dealer.

Bob

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Low idle on a 04 RFI Question

A friend of mine just called me and he’s pretty sure the ring is welded to the flywheel and is not removable. The magnets can be removed but not the ring, so there goes that theory. Anybody have any ideas on why the timing would jump all over the place and clean up about 1800rpm’s? I can watch the mark jump all over and sometimes the strobe would miss on occasion. I’ve tried another coil, CPS, APS, ATS, WTS and rectifier. Verified fuel pressure under load too. You get this out on the lake and run for a bit and back off the throttle and it idles for about 5 to10 seconds at 1500 or so then drops to 1000 -1100 with and occasional 900 rpm or shut down. You can hear the engine loping with a quick 1400 showing up on the gauge. It almost sounds like my old Ford wagon dieseling when you tried to shut the car off back in the day!

Bob

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I hate to tell you this but those cut one injector at idle, that right it runs off of one cylinder and it swaps the cylinder it cuts every time it goes back to idle, call Scooby Doo ,the mystery has been solved.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

Did they back the idle screw all the way out before they reset the TPS. I've seen and heard that happen first hand. Also you should be hitting right at 6800 WOT depending on the weather and your idle should be 1400 rpms plus or minus 50 rpm. Have you checked your rectifier? When mine quit I would only get around 6600 rpms and my idle was low aswell. If your tps has been reset and it was reset correct you should be able to screw the throttle stop in without effecting anything to achieve the desired idle rpm.
    12 Sea-Doo Wake 210 430hp
    08 RXP-X
    96 XP
    85 JS550

PWCToday Newbie

I know it drops to one cylinder at idle, wish they didn’t make them this way.

As stated above I have changed the rectifier plus a whole bunch other things, maybe the new one is bad, could try another I guess.

The idle screw is un-adjustable on the 04’s, tamper resistant. I even tried another throttle body.

I took plug 4 that plugs into the MPEM all apart to check all the crimps. Ohm’d out the terminals per service manual back to the sensors and wiggled the connectors to, no values found outside of that indicated in the service manual. In defense of trying another MPEM that was out of my brothers machine I didn’t reset the TPS with his because I didn’t want to mess his up. With his installed it idled a bit longer at 1450 till it dropped down to 1000, maybe a solid 10 seconds. Maybe I am looking at another ECU in the future!

Tried a brand new injector in the mag cylinder and then swapped between the pto and the old mag injector.

Rotary valve timing has been triple checked. Clearance in right on the fence of the upper limit or .014” using the solder wire method so I’m good there.

Compression is 150 - 155 depending on the barometric pressure for that day, I check it about every other time I take it out.

When I first got the ski I was thinking it was and exhaust related issue so I took the entire system apart. Everything was clean on all the baffles, nothing appeared to be plugged. Could I have a bum waterbox?

This just keeps dragging on and on, I’m tired of this.

PWCToday Newbie

I know this is an old post but I keep hearing that the RFI idles on one cylinder. The DI idles on one cylinder NOT the RFI.

PWCToday Newbie

Yes the RFI DOES idle on the MAG cylinder only. The DI idles on Both. I cured my dilemma (OCD didn't like the one cylinder thing) by removing the tamper proof cap on the TB, buying a new fuel controller like out of a 02 or 03 to replace the POS inside my MPEM and adjusted the idle per 02 or 03 service manual. Problem solved. I chased that idle problem (OMG this brings back nightmares) for a couple years and many $$ till I smartened up and started thinking outside the box. Tried two 04 MPEM's with their associated fuel controllers and TB's etc. with no luck till I did as in above. I still have the original entire 04 MPEM & fuel controller and TB if you are looking for one, nothing wrong with it.

PWCToday Newbie

I think you have the 2 confused. I've been working on PWCs for 25 years or more. My RFI along with my cousins, Idles on both cylinders. I pulled one plug wire off connected it to ground, fired it up and it ran hands off the throttle. Switched cylinders and fired it up again. That's the only 2 times mine has idled on one cylinder.
    The DI is a 951 and the RFI is a 787. I've worked on enough DIs to know that they idle on one cylinder for sure. They rattle and sound like crap when they idle.

PWCToday Newbie

No pissing match intended here for sure. I didn't realize you brought this old post out of the dust to tell me/we have it all wrong out here in PWC Today land. I thought perhaps by the way you worded your response you were trying to get something straight in your head on the “strange” idle these 04’s have. The ski I was having issues with is long gone and I only have my brothers 04 to deal with that has been behaving itself flawlessly, till now that I said something. In all honesty I have little experience working on a DI to say I know much of anything about them. I ‘m "assuming" the service manual I purchased in 2005 specifically for the 2004 model year directly from a BRP dealer in paperback form part number 219-100-192 to be correct. Below is a direct quote out of the 04 service manual (electronic version I’ve since obtained as they became available) page 298, section 6, engine management. I always got a chuckle out of the statement they make "-improved Idling"

NOTE: To reduce emissions, the RFI engine runs
    on one cylinder only (MAG side) at idle speed.
    This system delivers the following benefits:
    - easier cold engine starting (no choke)
    - easier hot engine starting
    - improved idling
    - better throttle response
    - better fuel economy

PWCToday Newbie

Okay, I thought all RFI's were about the same but you're speaking of 04' and newer. I think all 04' and newer 2 stroke fuel injected seadoos idle on one cylinder. Mine is a 2002 and safely saying I've never worked on a RFI any later than 03.
    I would have done the same conversion if mine done that.
    Sorry for the slight drama I have caused. As I was reading to try and see whats was wrong with mine, I kept reading RFI's idle on one cylinder and I knew mine and no other ones that I've seen did. Perhaps I've learned-ed something here. LoL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information