Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Barnegat Bay

Barnegat Bay

Anyone out on the northern portion Saturday (8/13/2011)? I've never been in Barnegat Bay before and wondering if the chop was worse than normal or always like this. Being used to the Navesink, Shrewsbury, Raritan, and Delaware, I got bounced around more than I expected and didn't go half as far as I wanted.

Is it calmer further south? I still want to check out Tices Shoal. I've been in Great Bay a couple of times launching from the Mullica and it was not like riding the Barnegat.
    Last edited by CJ River Rider; 08-15-2011 at 09:42 AM.

I dream skis

Re: Barnegat Bay

Quote Originally Posted by t.zelazny View Post
    Anyone out on the northern portion Saturday (8/13/2011)? I've never been in Barnegat Bay before and wondering if the chop was worse than normal or always like this. Being used to the Navesink, Shrewsbury, Raritan, and Delaware, I got bounced around more than I expected and didn't go half as far as I wanted.

Is it calmer further south? I still want to check out Tices Shoal. I've been in Great Bay a couple of times launching from the Mullica and it was not like riding the Barnegat.
    I`ve seen times when Barnegat was very calm, it is hit or miss, but mostly rough, same for Manahwakin bay, besides to much eel grass...

South:
    Parker`s Run/Parkertown can be just as miserable, watching the tides, weather and time of day will help you choose a good time to ride, in most cases. I have seen conditions change quickly.
    Further south:
    Great Bay, same there, I`ve seen where the water was calm and flat or mild chop and rode out to the inlet and CG station to take advantage of the decent waters. Then there were time`s that it was insane and uncontrollable, thats when you turn around and head back into the river...
    Then there is the Mullica, Wading, and Bass rivers that are pretty decent most of the time. Some wind and boat traffic can really disappoint you in those instances...

when did you ride the Mullica?

"when did you ride the Mullica?"

Not much as I would like, I try to go at least once a year, and last year I never made it. I'd like to get down there this year, maybe in early September. Unfortunately, getting to Crowley's Landing takes me about an hour and a half whether I come down 206 or meander through the pines.

Thanks for the info on the lower bay, the Parkertown ramp at the end of Dock St. is on my list to try out someday. I drove by there last year on the way home from either Cape May or AC, I watched two kids pull out their double trailer skis with the ramp practically under water. The kid told me it was better to launch during low tide? Is that true?

I dream skis

"when did you ride the Mullica?"

Not much as I would like, I try to go at least once a year, and last year I never made it. I'd like to get down there this year, maybe in early September. Unfortunately, getting to Crowley's Landing takes me about an hour and a half whether I come down 206 or meander through the pines.

Thanks for the info on the lower bay, the Parkertown ramp at the end of Dock St. is on my list to try out someday. I drove by there last year on the way home from either Cape May or AC, I watched two kids pull out their double trailer skis with the ramp practically under water. The kid told me it was better to launch during low tide? Is that true?
    pretty much. High tide floods the whole area past the bulkhead and parking area past the ramp on the right. Mid tide is better. Low tide the floating docks almost a ground. High tide has your vehicle under water. I went there one time with my car and had 8" of water easy under the door sill bc the ramp has a shallow incline.,
    I go to Parkertown very often with the family, pooch and have a coffee while we watch the show...lol... At least at Crowleys it`s fresh/brackish and just my rear wheels are wet. When I had the E250 Ford Van, Parkertown was no problem bc that van had plenty of height.
    Best conditions for parkertown are early morning and early evening, that`s when I`ve noticed the calmest conditions. I used to ride from Crowley`s to Parkertown, now I just stay on the Great Bay side of Great Bay Blvd if I run that far out...
    I`ve been spoiled with the Mullica, Wading Rivers and surrounding waters that I rarely go elsewhere unless I make the trek over to the Delaware River out of Bordentown and that`s been a rare occasion at best these days...
    The 15 mile ride to crowleys is def worth it, even tho I`m surrounded by water here...

Man of Steel PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home davidw's Avatar

depends on the wind....i'm there every weekend it's 50/50. I think it's more calm than rough most of the time.. Calm water bores the pizz out of me..
    Last edited by davidw; 08-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGPR View Post
    pretty much. High tide floods the whole area past the bulkhead and parking area past the ramp on the right. Mid tide is better. Low tide the floating docks almost a ground. High tide has your vehicle under water. I went there one time with my car and had 8" of water easy under the door sill bc the ramp has a shallow incline.,
    I go to Parkertown very often with the family, pooch and have a coffee while we watch the show...lol... At least at Crowleys it`s fresh/brackish and just my rear wheels are wet. When I had the E250 Ford Van, Parkertown was no problem bc that van had plenty of height.
    Best conditions for parkertown are early morning and early evening, that`s when I`ve noticed the calmest conditions. I used to ride from Crowley`s to Parkertown, now I just stay on the Great Bay side of Great Bay Blvd if I run that far out...
    I`ve been spoiled with the Mullica, Wading Rivers and surrounding waters that I rarely go elsewhere unless I make the trek over to the Delaware River out of Bordentown and that`s been a rare occasion at best these days...
    The 15 mile ride to crowleys is def worth it, even tho I`m surrounded by water here...
    If you are going to the Delaware, check out the No. Philly ramp on Linden Ave. It's free, plenty of parking, and you can either go north to Bordentown/Trenton or head south to Philly and go by Penn's Landing, battleship NJ, Dave & Buster's, NJ Aquarium, plus the bridges (Ben Franklin, Whitman, etc.). It's also right across from the Rancocas of which you can go as far in as 295/NJ Tpk.

I like your comment about "watching the show" at the ramp. When the Delaware was my main riding area before I started going to the Shrewsbury/Navesink, I used the Trenton ramp a lot. I seen everything put in there from big boats to things I wouldn't put in a kiddie pool! It's pure entertainment down there especially when fisherman are out during the shad run.
    Last edited by CJ River Rider; 08-17-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    depends on the wind....i'm there every weekend it's 50/50. I think it's more calm than rough most of the time.. Calm water bores the pizz out of me..
    where??? I ride up to BL to Poppy`s for ice cream at least once a week!...lol...

If you are going to the Delaware, check out the No. Philly ramp on Linden Ave. It's free, plenty of parking, and you can either go north to Bordentown/Trenton or head south to Philly and go by Penn's Landing, battleship NJ, Dave & Buster's, NJ Aquarium, plus the bridges (Ben Franklin, Whitman, etc.). It's also right across from the Rancocas of which you can go as far in as 295/NJ Tpk.

I like your comment about "watching the show" at the ramp. When the Delaware was my main riding area before I started going to the Shrewsbury/Navesink, I used the Trenton ramp a lot. I seen everything put in there from big boats to things I wouldn't put in a kiddie pool! It's pure entertainment down there especially when fisherman are out during the shad run.
    I`ve used Trenton ramp a few time, I didn`t dig the vagrants freshening up in the porto crappers and sleeping on the park benches. I have seen boats come off the trailer on the ramp before there...lol...
    I also used to use the ramp in Bordentown quite often and make the trip up to Dave and busters, The Art Museum, and a little further south past the USS NJ...
    Since fuel became a concern with premixing I now just ride till one tank is done and call it a day... we have launched out of chester before and made those runs to the art museum. I`m just not a big fan of PA, there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many pennso`s right here where I live! can`t wait till the holiday so they all go home!!!
    BTW @ 7:20PM this evening, Barnegat looked nice...

Man of Steel PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home davidw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGPR View Post
    where??? I ride up to BL to Poppy`s for ice cream at least once a week!...lol...

Sup Andy ?? long time !!! You ever go to Mustache Bills ???

I`ve used Trenton ramp a few time, I didn`t dig the vagrants freshening up in the porto crappers and sleeping on the park benches. I have seen boats come off the trailer on the ramp before there...lol...
    I also used to use the ramp in Bordentown quite often and make the trip up to Dave and busters, The Art Museum, and a little further south past the USS NJ...
    Since fuel became a concern with premixing I now just ride till one tank is done and call it a day... we have launched out of chester before and made those runs to the art museum. I`m just not a big fan of PA, there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many pennso`s right here where I live! can`t wait till the holiday so they all go home!!!
    BTW @ 7:20PM this evening, Barnegat looked nice...
    Pennso's ?? Not nice Pale Rider. LOL...... Ill be at the beach this weekend. Might ride offshore ( if my wife can handle the kids for a freakinf chance ) , The ocean is my friend !

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Pennso's ?? Not nice Pale Rider. LOL...... Ill be at the beach this weekend. Might ride offshore ( if my wife can handle the kids for a freakinf chance ) , The ocean is my friend !
    hahahahah hey David! didn`t you hear that they renamed LBI??? it is now Pennso island!, hahahahahahahaha...
    lemme know when you can ride during the week and come down to the river!...

Thread Information