Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Jet Skis banned in Washington

Hi - I've been trying to get my wife into boating for years. We just rented jet skis in North Carolina on vacation. Turns out she still doesn't like boats but LOVES jet skis! So now I have the green light to entertain the thought of owning a couple jet skis.

I hear jet skis are banned in the San Juans. Is that correct? Are there other places in Washington where jet skis are a no-no? Would like to know this before buying jet skis.

Thanks!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt_E's Avatar

Re: Jet Skis banned in Washington

If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

San Juan County is the only local/state banned area that I'm aware of. There are also National Park restrictions that prohibit personal watercraft on the upper 10 miles (or so) of Lake Chelan. Lake Roosevelt used to have restrictions, but I believe it's now 100% open to PWCs, though you can't ride on the river section above Kettle Falls (I think that's an 8-9 mile stretch still within the NPS boundaries).
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT (sold)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home crab's Avatar

there are a few lakes around also that limit you to a 4 stroke, no pwc ban just no 2 cycle engines allowed.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home rasper99's Avatar

The link to the PDF about the case is a bad link. It may have been a very small area that they were trying to get banned and it was blown out of proportion. It also might have been overturned on appeal.

The references they mention at the bottom for more information includes "The BlueWater network". They are the behind most of the attempted to get PWCs banned all over the place. I suspect that web site has ties to them.

If you would like a pro PWC site about keeping riding places open check out the AWA. They are fighting for our rights:
    http://www.awahq.org/

They have article like about PWCs helping save lives during rescues. I keep forgetting to sign up with those folks and help out.
    Check out the videos of people riding PWCs in the wild Pacific Northwest surf:
    http://www.barry-blanchard.com/

PWCToday Newbie

I just called the San Juan County Sherriff's office today 8/8/2011. Here's the scoop:

1 - Recreational PWCs are banned from the county - 2 stroke, 4 stroke, going fast, going slow - doesn't matter.

2 - PWCs are allowed if you're passing through to international waters (coming from or going to Canada). I guess you shouldn't weave or jump any wakes while you're passing through

3 - PWCs are allowed as tenders to larger vessels. Which kind of means, you can buzz around in a Zodiac inflatable, cigarette boat, whatever - just not on a jet ski

The county ordinance is here:

http://www.mrsc.org/mc/sanjuan/sjcc1...html#10.28.120

The ordinance doesn't specifically permit item #3, but doesn't apply to "A personal watercraft engaged principally in commercial operations constituting an act of interstate or foreign commerce and so long as during such the personal watercraft is operated along the most direct route practicable;"
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rasper99 View Post
    The link to the PDF about the case is a bad link. It may have been a very small area that they were trying to get banned and it was blown out of proportion. It also might have been overturned on appeal.
    The referenced case is the Washington Supreme Court's decision that upheld the San Juan County ordinance. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-suprem...t/1213883.html
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT (sold)

And Lake Crescent near Port Angeles has a ban on pwc also. It's in the Olympic Nat'l Park. Which also means Lake Ozette as well. Lk Sutherland is open to pwc. Should you ever find yourself out on the peninsula.

The Cap'n

Quote Originally Posted by NWDayton View Post
    And Lake Crescent near Port Angeles has a ban on pwc also. It's in the Olympic Nat'l Park. Which also means Lake Ozette as well. Lk Sutherland is open to pwc. Should you ever find yourself out on the peninsula.

The Cap'n
    Lake Cushman is open to PWC as well on the SW border of the NP. It's rather nice, see my profile pic.

Thread Information