yes
    XPL Resto-Mod Thread
    HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• duckman1
      Top Dog
      • Sep 2002

Re: 98 SeaDoo XPL Resto-Mod

"Still waiting on my new rave knobs (due in tomorrow). I'm going to break the motor in this weekend using the OE head. No sense wasting premium fuel putting around. "

Hmm..just a thought. You do realize you will need to check/correct squish when you install another head. The dime extra for premium fuel is pretty cheap in comparison to a rebuild. Even if you have you use say 50/50av or race fuel it's still pretty cheap. Each to his own, but I would have personally set it up the way I was going to have it intially rather than go back and have to possibly pull off the top end to correct squish.

Steve

Comment

• fastgas
        PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by duckman1 View Post
        "Still waiting on my new rave knobs (due in tomorrow). I'm going to break the motor in this weekend using the OE head. No sense wasting premium fuel putting around. "

Hmm..just a thought. You do realize you will need to check/correct squish when you install another head. The dime extra for premium fuel is pretty cheap in comparison to a rebuild. Even if you have you use say 50/50av or race fuel it's still pretty cheap. Each to his own, but I would have personally set it up the way I was going to have it intially rather than go back and have to possibly pull off the top end to correct squish.

Steve
        I'm aware, and I'm not too worried, the winters in Utah are long, plenty of time to correct and adjust as needed. I had it out today for a few hours and I'm quite pleased.
        XPL Resto-Mod Thread
        HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• 97superjet
          PWCToday Guru
          • Mar 2011

Nice build! Turned out really nice!
          1997 Yamaha Superjet- Limited B pipe and T3 tuned! Also other parts that have yet to go on the ski..

Comment

• fastgas
            • Sep 2007

Lake powell was a smashing success:

Both boats did great and we had a lot of fun. The XPL wasn't able to pull the 7200rpm I was hoping for at WOT. It was only able to produce 6550rpm @ 56mph, which really makes me think the prop is too tall for the altitude/mods. I'll be sending it out to impros for their repitch/polish service over the winter. I also didn't waste any time and pulled off all the hideous purple/green/yellow graphics this evening:

With all the old graphics off I can proceed to finish wet-sanding/buffing/polishing the gelcoat. I'm going to pick up an orbital polisher and go to town over the next few weeks. Once that's complete I'll have to decide if I want to do more than just silver/gray seadoo logos on the lower hull.
            Last edited by fastgas; 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM.
            XPL Resto-Mod Thread
            HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
              • Sep 2007

here's one of my pathetic attempts at a graphics scheme:
              Last edited by fastgas; 09-19-2011, 09:49 PM.
              XPL Resto-Mod Thread
              HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
                • Sep 2007

and the head a wires to go on:
                XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• erg69
                  I dream skis
                  • Mar 2011

What a beautiful lake, powell is. We drove all the way from Kansas with our boats and sea doos for that view. Too bad its down like 100 feet from the last time we were there. Hope they find more water in that desert....
                  I feel sorry for people who don't drink.....when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they will feel all day.

Comment

• fastgas
                    • Sep 2007

actually the water was very high this year, about 30' shy of the high-water mark.
                    XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                    HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
                      • Sep 2007

I've got my 48cc domes on order for the head, a set of Danny's sponsons, and a jetwerks ECWI kit on order. I also gave one of the main rider-ski interaction points a much needed facelift:

I'm going to dig into the steering system this weekend to eliminate the squeaks and squawks due to lack of grease.
                      XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                      HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
                        • Sep 2007

Still tinkering a little here and there. I fashioned a set of air tube block-offs out of a set of 2" PVC caps and some gasket maker:

These should ensure the hull remains dry when the nose is buried. These holes/tubes were removed in later model years due to water intrusion.
                        XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                        HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
                          • Sep 2007

I've been super busy lately but I found a few minutes today to do a few quick things:
                          I'm replacing all the water/vacuum lines with purple silicon hoses. I started with the rave valves:

I'm waiting on some slick purple zip ties to dig into the rest. It should look nice, especially with the purple 8.5mm taylor wires.
                          I had some custom vinyl made for both skis in regards to their premix-only status:

all the decals are removed and I really need to kick myself into gear and start buffing so I can apply the new "seadoo" lower hull decals:

I've got a lot more to do over the winter. I'm going to be pull the exhaust to install the jetworks water injection system and I'm going to pull the engine to check it over and install the head with 48mm domes. I also need to get the new sponsons on but I'm planning on removing the OEM units and buffing the whole lower hull before installing the new ones.
                          XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                          HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• fastgas
                            • Sep 2007

I added some 1/4 mousse weather stripping to further prevent water intrusion. I put it on the hull as opposed to the bottom of the tray as I run without the tray when testing/tuning. It seals TIGHT. I noticed water will enter the engine bay with ease when lightly spraying the area with a hose.

I'm also going to stick a sham-wow to the bottom of the hull, under the motor once I get the exhaust off to install the jetworks kit. I'm going to use some 3M spray adhesive just like I did with the hydroturf. I was initially concerned about how combustible the stuff is however I tried unsuccessfully to get it to catch fire with several matches. It took exposure to a propane torch for several seconds to get it to burn and once the torch was removed it extinguished.
                            XPL Resto-Mod Thread
                            HX920 Resto-Mod Thread

Comment

• gto0209
                              • Dec 2009

Wow, looks really good. I would advise against the shamwow under the motor, it will just soak up water and hold it, making everything moist under the hood whenever it's shut. Where did you get the foam for the hood seal? I would like to do something like that to my 96 xp.
                              Last edited by gto0209; 10-27-2011, 12:48 PM.
                              Charlie
                              95 sc yami 760
                              94 blaster 1100
                              97 sj

Looking for a complete coffmans sc pipe and waterbox, pm me if you have one
                              sigpic

Comment

• gto0209
                                • Dec 2009

I like it without the graphics too.
                                Charlie
                                95 sc yami 760
                                94 blaster 1100
                                97 sj

Looking for a complete coffmans sc pipe and waterbox, pm me if you have one
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X