User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I dream skis

2013 Lake Powell PWC emissions rules=- any standups qualify?

So, after 2012, I understand that Lake Powell will be banned to PWC's not meeting 2006 emissions requirements:

According to the Code of Federal Regulations Title 36, 7.70(e)(3): After December 31, 2012, no one may operate a PWC that does not meet the 2006 emission standards set by EPA for the manufacturing of two-stroke engines. A person operating a PWC that meets the EPA 2006 emission standards through the use of direct injection two-stroke or four-stroke engines, or the equivalent thereof, is not subject to this prohibition and will be allowed to operate as described in this section.

For more information, visit the Environmental Protection Agency at:
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/marinesi.htm

I also note that this doesn't seem to apply to all those guys running older 2 stroke outboards (sigh).

Anyways, do any standups meet the emissions requirements? The SXR still runs a carb, so it doesn't qualify, right?

If any standups do qualify, which years?
    1992 750SX with mods
    1991 X-2
    1996 SS

I have more skis than friends.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Re: 2013 Lake Powell PWC emissions rules=- any standups qualify?

Mo, where are you?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Smokin'FX-1's Avatar

There is one stand up that is fine....Hydrospace.

My problem with this law is our Rec Area (Lake Mead) had to DOUBLE the prices this year for annual lake passes (both vehicle and watercraft) ;and for the standard week passes (5 day passes) went up in price and are only good for I believe 3 days now. Also they are running less rangers on and around the lake. This tells me they are hurting for revenue. Taking away all the 2 strokes and money generated is going to hurt them even more.

For me when this happens, I'll just drive the extra 25 min to Laughlin or take a little longer and go to Havasu.

These stupid environmentalists are gonna cause more problems for national rec areas with this stuff. Less money is going to be available to fund Rangers and clean up and you'll be left with a bunch of uneducated riders on big couches doing donuts and nobody to police them. Plus I have saved people from drowning as well as many other 2 stroke riders. I see an increase of drownings coming from this as well

****Note I don't hate all couchers, and not all are idiots, but we see a number of Darwin Candidates on them.
    Last edited by Smokin'FX-1; 07-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Paul Newman Stunt Double

I dream skis

What ticks me off is it is a law solely for the purpose of discriminating against PWC's hiding under the guise of enviromentalism.

I can understand the argument that two-strokes are bad for the environment. I don't agree that they contribute a meaningful amount of pollution to the big picture, but I certainly wouldn't want to breathe the exhaust.

But when you ban 2 stroke PWC's, while leaving alone the far larger population of 2 stroke outboards, then its obvious it has absolutely nothing to do with being green. It has to do with the fact that I want to use the lake in a way different than what you feel I should, and you don't want me to.

At least this ban DID NOT carry over to Curecanti NRA in Colorado (Blue Mesa).
    1992 750SX with mods
    1991 X-2
    1996 SS

PWCToday Guru

Any news on this? Really hoping this doesn't happen, as we enjoy our trips to Powell, and they just wouldnt be the same without having my HX, or any of the other skis out there that are actually fun to ride, yet dont meet the emissions "requirements."

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgas's Avatar

it's going to happen:
    http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/advisories.htm
    It seems this is about the right time to enact the policy now that there are very, very few 2T PWCs still in production. As others have said though, there's no mention of 2T outboards. Folks have been trying to ban 2T PWCs for YEARS because of the noise more than anything. All it takes is a group of wealthy, 70' houseboat owners with brand new PWCs and a distaste for the plebeians to set a law like this in motion.

PWCToday Guru

Who should we be contacting to try and fight this? Is it the NPS trying to screw us? Or Lake Powell itself?

PWCToday Newbie

bump

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by Rx1Mountain View Post
    Who should we be contacting to try and fight this? Is it the NPS trying to screw us? Or Lake Powell itself?
    It is all but a done deal.

Blame the Bluewater Network, now Friends of the Earth. If you look at their press release where they sued the NPS over this, you note that the overwhelming majority of their statements are not about pollution, but how they simply don't like jet skis, which is why outboards get a pass. Its not about pollution, it is about them not liking how other people use the lakes.

https://www.earthislandprojects.org/...bluewater.html

In response to the lawsuit, the National Park Service (which includes national recreation areas) drafted rules on where 2 stroke PWC's would be allowed to operate.

The bans themselves are exceptionally arbitrary, and appear to be a "we will act enough for you to shut up for a bit" response. Powell is banned because of supposedly environmental impacts to the Grand Canyon (unlikely, as gasoline floats and evaporates quickly, and thus will not settle to the bottom where all of the water of Powell exits after an extremely LONG impoundment period.

However, Blue Mesa in Colorado has no upcoming ban, even though water leaves the much smaller Blue Mesa Res and flows right into another national park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. What's the difference?
    1992 750SX with mods
    1991 X-2
    1996 SS

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgas's Avatar

"A single jet ski can emit up to 6 gallons of oil and gas in just two hours. The Park Service wouldn't allow a park visitor to dump that much gas and oil into park waters, so why would they allow a jet skier to do it?"

Wait, what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information