Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Frequent Poster

3rd Annual Tour De Virginia Ride September 10, 2011

3rd Annual Tour De Virginia Ride September 10, 2011

125 mile ride from the Willoughby Boat Ramp (near the Hampton Bridge/Tunnel), heading west by the Naval Base, south down the Elizabeth River to Downtown Norfolk, southeast to the Great Bridge Lock, east through the intracoastal waterway (ICW), then south again to the VA/NC stateline. From there another 20 miles south via Currituck Sound to the Coinjock Marina & Restaurant (http://www.coinjockmarina.com/restaurant.php) for gas and lunch, then return. There's plenty of pier parking for the skis just feet from the restaurant.

0730 Start of ride (needs to be early to secure first come/first serve weekend parking at Willoughby Boat Ramp and make a timely Great Bridge Lock opening)
    0930 Arrive Great Bridge Lock (GBL) for bottom-of-the-hour opening
    100 Depart GBL 1100 Arrive Coinjock NC (lunch & fuel at Coinjock Marina & Restaurant)
    1300 Depart Coinjock NC
    1500 Arrive GBL for top-of-the-hour opening
    1530 Depart GBL
    1700 End of Ride

If you would like to join us for this ride please post a reply here or send an email to info@easternpariverrunners.org by Tuesday September 6, 2011

Thanks and we hope to see everyone again this year

Last edited by EasternPARiverRunners; 07-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    Eastern PA River Runners
    "Believing In The FREEDOM TO RIDE!"

Re: 3rd Annual Tour De Virginia Ride September 10, 2011

Hey Watts, I'm thinking I might be able to make this, however, I'll have my daughter with me (9 yrs old). Is anyone else going to be riding double or is everyone riding singles? I don't want to hold up the group. What's your comfortable cruising speed for the group? ~Brad

http://www.meetup.com/marylandtrailriders
    2006 Aquatrax F12
    2015 Can Am Outlander 1000XT

Frequent Poster

Hey Brad

We usually have a few that double team. It is a fairly smooth ride, there are a few large no wake zones going thru the naval base and downtown Norfolk. The average speed will be around 40 don't worry you won't be holding anyone back. There is a lot to see. It is more of a timed controlled ride so we can get to the lock in a reasonable amount of time.just let me know

Watts
    Eastern PA River Runners
    "Believing In The FREEDOM TO RIDE!"

Thanks Watts. I just looked at the ride and it looks pretty nice. I used to fish through some of that river many years ago in the late '90's. Once we get out of the Naval Station area, the chop should be pretty minimal I would anticipate. I'm thinking of having my wife drive down and meet us 'cause I don't think the kids would last for the 'round trip'. I'm showing it to her and should be able to give you a definite yes by the end of this weekend, will keep you posted.

http://www.meetup.com/marylandtrailriders
    2006 Aquatrax F12
    2015 Can Am Outlander 1000XT

Thread Information