Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Scottie Mac's Avatar

Proposed Sport Open Spec Class

I have been getting so many inquiries of this class that I decided to post up the rules that we have come up with so far. Please understand, as of yet, THIS CLASS HAS NOT BEEN SANCTIONED BY THE IJSBA.

Our thoughts on this class are this. Sport mod is all but dead in the US. But, there are a handful of people who continue to race the class, so who are we to say they should have to change? Plus, we don't want to alienate anyone. Through our testing of 951s, 1100 kawis, 1100 and 1200 Yamahas, we believe that it is possible to make a set of rules that are fair to the current crop of 800 mods as well as allowing racers to build new spec open skis. These spec open skis will be cheaper to build and maintain, thus helping the class grow. In addition, if a current mod 800 wants to convert his or her ski to an open spec, it is a simple matter of selling off the 800 stuff and adding the big bore stuff. I can tell you that from the testing we have done with the 951 based blaster and 1100 based SXR, the skis will be very close in terms of power.

I am posting this up here to get feedback to take to Scott Frazier. In working with him over the years, I have found him to be very understanding as long as you can make your case. In my eyes, we either do something now to save the class or it is going to be dropped. With what we learned working with sport spec, I believe we can create this class that gives racers yet another low cost option to go racing, not only in terms of the initial build, but also in the upkeep and maintenance.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me at anytime. Again, this has not been approved, this is simply a feeling out process to see if the class is a viable option in the future.

Sincerely,
    Scottie McKenna
    smckenna12@aol.com

Rules as Proposed:

Overview of Proposed IJSBA Pro Am Sport GP/Open-Spec

The goal of the Sport GP/Open-Spec class is to revive interest in the Sport Mod Class while offering a lower cost solution to build competitive skis.

Eligible Models: Yamaha Waveblaster, SeaDoo HX, Polaris Hurricane, Old and New Style Kawasaki X2

In order to be in compliance to race this class, riders will have two options to choose from - 830cc and below and 831cc and above. If a rider chooses 830ccs and below, the current IJSBA MOD class rules will be enforced. This is to keep the current modified sport craft eligible without having to invest money to upgrade. (See the IJSBA Rule Book for Modified Rules)

831cc and above will run a Spec style system of rules. Hybrids WILL be allowed – example: riders are not required to retain the OEM motor OR the same manufacturer motor. Eligible motors will be the SeaDoo 951, Kawasaki 1100, Yamaha 1100/1200 and Polaris 1050/1200. Motors will be limited to 1200cc. Aftermarket hulls may be used, but must meet IJSBA specs for modified class. In an effort to keep the costs of the class down, compression and timing will be limited to urge riders to utilize 93-octane pump fuel.

PWC utilizing the SeaDoo 951 motor will be allowed the following mods:
    -MAX of 2.0 oversize pistons, rings
    -Single Aftermarket Exhaust Systems (with or without water injection)
    -Aftermarket Waterboxes
    -Aftermarket or Modifed OEM heads with 175lbs of compression or below
    -Aftermarket head squish must not go below .50 thou. Squish
    -Aftermarket carbs, reeds, intake and flame arrestors
    -Non Programmable CDIs such as enhancers
    -Aftermarket Fuel Pumps
    -Aftermarket pump nozzles, driveshafts, impellers, drop nozzle systems
    -Aftermarket steering, handlebars, grips, throttles, seat covers, turf
    -Aftermarket ride plates, intakes, sponsons (max of 2 sets)
    -Paint, graphics, rail trim/bumpers

***951 Timing may NOT be advanced at the stator plate, with flywheel or with offset woodruff keys. No ‘twin’ pipes allowed. Stock non-lightened Flyweel and stator must be retained.

PWC utilizing the Kawasaki/Yamaha 1100/1200 or Polaris 1050/1200 motors will be allowed the following mods:

-MAX of 2.0 oversize pistons, rings (must not exceed 1200ccs total)
    -Stock Exhaust (may be 'dried out')
    -Water Routing modifications / Jetworx Valves
    -Aftermarket Waterboxes
    -Aftermarket or Modifed OEM heads with 165lbs of compression or below
    -Aftermarket head squish must not go below .45 thou. Squish
    -Aftermarket carbs, reeds, intake and flame arrestors
    -Non Programmable CDIs such as enhancers
    -Timing Advance (no more than 9 degrees with jumper and/or plate)
    -Aftermarket Fuel Pumps
    -Aftermarket Pump nozzles, driveshafts, impellers, drop nozzle systems
    -Aftermarket steering, handlebars, grips, throttles, seat covers, turf
    -Aftermarket ride plates, intakes, sponsons (max of 2 sets)
    -Paint, graphics, rail trim/bumpers

**** All triple cylinder motors must retain stock non-lightened flyweel, stator, exhaust (other than water routing changes)

With these rules, we believe that the current modified 800cc sport racers will have an ‘off the line’ advantage. The larger 831cc and above skis will be competitive, without having to spend a ton of money to build true ‘modified’ skis. These rules also open up the class to the hybrid style skis. It is our hope that these rules will bring new blood to the class while allowing current riders the ability to stay competitive. If a current 800cc mod rider wants the option to go to an open style (831cc and above) motor, the costs will also be negligible.
    Last edited by Scottie Mac; 07-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

Best career accomplishment: Fatherhood

Proud Member of TEAM TFP!

Support those who support the sport!!!
    JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    www.ipdjetskigraphics.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Mmm........ a pizza sounds good right about now!

Re: Proposed Sport Open Spec Class

If you believe this class is something you are interested in, please email Scott Frazier: scott@ijsba.com

If we can get enough interest in this class, I believe he will be more than willing to accommodate.

Scottie
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

I dream skis IPD Graphics, Inc.'s Avatar

I love it!!! ...I know I would race the class if it comes available, the current Sport Mod class is a joke, who wants to build a $20,000 sport mod boat that blows up all the time?!?!

There was only 2 real mod boats that raced "Sport Mod" last year, and the rest were Spec Class guys that wanted to race 2 classes. I know a LOT of WaveBlaster racers that would build boats if the class comes available, and a bunch that are currently building 1100 Blasters that will definitely want to race this class...here's some of them right here:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f101/1100-ka...te-330760.html

Scottie...what about mod hulls, are mod hulls for any of the models allowed to run the "big motor" setup? ...considering the lack of availability and cost seems like this would change the fairness of the class, it would be easiest if people were limited to stock hulls if their going to run the big motors. What are your rules going to reflect on this???

Nice work with another well-though out class option Scottie...this should definitely bring out more racers and hopefully resuscitate the Sport Mod class...can't see any reason why Frazier wouldn't be 100% on board!
    IPD Graphics, Inc.

Honestly, I hadn't given much thought to the mod hulls. I see what you are saying. Perhaps it is best to make it mod hulls only on the 830 and below? The weight loss of a mod hull would also give the current mods an advantage that IMO they should keep. If it looks like the mods eventually all go to open rules, then we can revisit the issue in the future.

I am hoping this class will do for Mod what spec did - again - give a low cost option to riders who want to race, but don't want to spend a ton to do so. If it does, it is only going to be good for everyone involved. It will bring out more riders, which we all want, but it will also help the promoters who are struggling to find entries.

Scottie

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

I dream skis IPD Graphics, Inc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Mac View Post
    Honestly, I hadn't given much thought to the mod hulls. I see what you are saying. Perhaps it is best to make it mod hulls only on the 830 and below? The weight loss of a mod hull would also give the current mods an advantage that IMO they should keep. If it looks like the mods eventually all go to open rules, then we can revisit the issue in the future.

I am hoping this class will do for Mod what spec did - again - give a low cost option to riders who want to race, but don't want to spend a ton to do so. If it does, it is only going to be good for everyone involved. It will bring out more riders, which we all want, but it will also help the promoters who are struggling to find entries.

Scottie
    Totally agree! ...hopefully Frazier does as well.
    IPD Graphics, Inc.

What about pumps? I can't imagine running a 1100-1200 blaster without a Mag pump. Can run 144 or 155mm pumps? No issue with the larger pumps?

I was thinking about running a 1100 blaster with a 144mm non setback mag pump. Reeds, spacer, carbs, Riva CDI, FA's, dried pipe & shaved head.

The stock pump will work fine with an 1100 conversion. We tried Joe's Blasterdoo951 with both stock and mag pumps. There was little to no difference between the two. Norm (Yamabooey) bought that ski, he can describe how well that ski works with a stock pump. The reason the mag is such an advantage on a mod is they help keep the ski hooked up. With the big bore skis, you are adding 20+ lbs to the middle of the ski, this helps more with hook up than the mag does on an 800 mod. The idea of the open spec class is to be cheap, mag pumps aren't cheap. I say no, but lets see what other people think.

Everything else on your build looks fine as long as the riva CDI isn't programmable. That set up in a blaster hull should be a near 60mph blaster with very little investment. Just what we were thinking.

Scottie
    Last edited by Scottie Mac; 07-08-2011 at 10:11 PM.

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ko2's Avatar

I love the idea of this class ... & I bet that all the sport racers in our group ( Jimmy, Wayne, Scott, Pat, TJ, Jody, Lacey, etc ) will feel the same way ...!!!

Guess I'm going to have a 760 motor & a speedwerx dry pipe for sale soon ... & will be looking for another zxi or stx 11 ...!!!
    Last edited by ko2; 07-08-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    LIVE Jet Ski RADIO - every Wednesday at 7:00pm eastern standard time.

Link: www.mixlr.com/watercraft-network

It's just a Riva CDI with adjustable dip switches for rev limiter. Not sure if it has any timing advantage. My guess is no.

Whats a good prop for a 1100 blaster? I have all the parts, I just need a Hull with midshaft, pump, gas tank and I am good togo. I know the Mags aren't cheap but I want to have as much control as possible. They can be found for a grand.

I am still kicking around the idea of building this ski. Parts are collecting dust. Engine is pickled collecting dust. I would pay someone to glass in the front engine mounts. I have no interest in taking on that part of the build.
    Last edited by Lakeside518; 07-08-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Talk to Norm. He has two 1100 blasters. His builds are very nice. Also, there is a guy on X-h20 named steve pwc, he did a really nice detailed build of his 1100. He is in NY, might want to take to him.

As for the prop, call Dave at Impros, you are going to want a swirl 15/21 or so. That will keep the power to the water. I am going to run this same prop in mine.

Scottie

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information