Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

New Stand up Rider looking for others in Indian River and surrounding

I just got a '89 Kawi 650 SX from a friend and am trying to find others in this area that have skis. I dont mind if its a Stand up or not. just want to see who else is around that rides and wrenches these addicting little things too... I have a feeling I have started a life long hobby. I love the small engine tinkering and cant wait to get out and ride more!!

Looking forward to hearing from any and all who this applies to.

Joel

Re: New Stand up Rider looking for others in Indian River and surrounding

I'm way north in the Indian by titusville or Merritt island area, but there is a group that ride in Sebastian often too in the surf. We have some superjets and X2's that go out
    1989 Kawasaki X2
    2005 Yamaha XLT1200
    2008 Water Craft Factory hull

Truck Bed Launch System - http://www.pwctoday.com/f26/mr-bojan...ml#post2683099

PWCToday Newbie

Awesome.

How often? Weekends?

Thanks for the quick response!! Look forward to meeting you and learning a few things!!

Until then, Take care and lmk when and where u all will be riding!

Joel

we might be heading to fox lake tomorrow afternoon after 5ish to test out the new impeller we put in the X2, but that will be a quick trip, and if your afraid of gators and tend to fall alot, that might not be your cut of tea with the gators. But this weekend myself and another superjet might be heading to ride in the surf. I dont know how comfortable you are hitting the waves yet, but they are there
    1989 Kawasaki X2
    2005 Yamaha XLT1200

PWCToday Newbie

I am getting the carb rebuilt on my 650 and actually looking at another 650 or SJ to have so I can take a buddy out now and then. If I have mine fixed by weekend Ill hit you up. Id love to get out there and ride with you all!!

My ski is mostly stock, (except Premix) but the carb needs rebuilt and then tuned so it will idle properly.

I am hoping to get it done before the weekend and Ill be in touch about getting out there with you all.

Thanks for the invite. Ill be in touch!

PWCToday Newbie

Mr. Bo,

Got another ski so Im gna see if I can make this weekend. lmk the plans.

-JamJr

it got a bit messed up, but we might head to the port, but we are going to try again to go to sebastian inlet next weekend. What ski did you get now?
    1989 Kawasaki X2
    2005 Yamaha XLT1200

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
    it got a bit messed up, but we might head to the port, but we are going to try again to go to sebastian inlet next weekend. What ski did you get now?

Keep me posted on the inlet plans. I need to get the skis running right.

I had an 89 650 already and just got a 89 550

Yesterday I rebuilt the carb on the 650 and took it to boat ramp to test operation in h20. Engine is starting and running fine, idle is a touch high, but the real problem right now is that whenever I try to throttle it up past about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way it bogs down and stalls. I have tried adjusting the carb a bit with no luck yet. I started at 1 high and 5/8 low like some of the threads have instructed and went 1/4 turn out on the high until 2 1/2 and the same thing happens. I tried going out to 1 on the low as well and there was no change there either.

The odd part of the 650 is that I took it home and stuck the hose on it to flush and put away and it didnt start right away and then when it did, it would rev up high with no problems at all... Its a little confusing. Idk if because theres no h20 in the pump, etc that its got less friction and the motor is acting different or b/c it was warmed up 30 min before that and it was just being temperamental... Just some history on this ski, It has been in storage since 1995 and taken out of storage about a month ago. I cleaned the gas tank and added fresh fuel/oil mixed 40:1 and then couldnt get it to idle so decided to rebuild carb. (did that yesterday) The carb really wasnt dirty, but on of the gaskets was a little rough so it prob good that I did it just to eliminate that as a potential problem.

I dont know exactly what to try next. any pointers?? maybe theres a thread I havent seen yet. Ive been looking.

Thanks all!!

The ski will run great out of water because there is no load on the pump, once your in the water it is a different story. When tuning a carb is is best to strap it down to the trailer and leave the hood off and make your adjustments there. Dieing when you give it gas at 1/4 could be that the needle and spring may be shot, not letting any fuel in, or flooding the motor. A easy way to test is to have some premix ready, and when the motor is about to die, pour some in and if it dies, your too rich, if it goes your too lean. Installing a primer will help with this test.

As far as sebastian, I don't know how much stand up riding you have done, but Sebastian is all riding in heavy surf, and if you are having ski problems, being towed in from the surf is no fun. You should join us at the river we go to in titusville normally, is a good ride that is ski friendly (no manatee zones) and its easy to work the bugs out there instead of having a wave beat you down. I dont wont to discourage you, but learning to ride is the fun part, and if you have never ridden a 550 hull, your in for a treat!
    1989 Kawasaki X2
    2005 Yamaha XLT1200

PWCToday Newbie

I had it in h20 at ramp after carb rebuild. I replaced spring and needle. I think I might have mixed up the settings for the carb. hi should be 5/8 and lo should be 1. I need to try that. I am going to try that this week and see if I can get a couple good rides in this week. keep me posted for next weekend.

Ill keep you posted on progress and such with skis.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information