Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Talking Puget Sound riding

Thought I'd start a general thread for anyone and everyone interested in riding on Puget Sound.

If you're looking to set up a ride on the Sound, post it here!
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

Re: Puget Sound riding

Based on some discussions in an earlier thread, I think there's some interest in a Tacoma to Port Townsend run this coming weekend? Not sure if anyone's worked out the logistics (launch location(s), fuel stops, etc.)?
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

Is there a tide level at which any Puget Sound boat launches become difficult/unusable? There's an extremely low tide on July 3rd (Sunday) around 1pm - negative 2.4 feet. I have no idea what that'll look like.

Drove by Golden Gardens boat launch yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and there were non-trailering vehicles filling up almost the entire boat launch parking lot. It was after 4pm, and part of the lot is available for non-trailer parking at that time, but I don't think it applies to the whole place. It also took me an hour to drive there from my house, so even though it's 2X the miles, I'd probably opt to drive the extra 20 minutes and launch out of Tacoma (unless anyone can tell me that they enforce the trailer parking in the middle of the day at Golden Gardens).
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

Hey Sam, I wished I could have made it out with you guys last time. I have a chart in front of me, and it looks like about 53 miles to Pt Townsend from Pt Defiance. From edmonds, its about 28. There is gas at the marina in Pt Townsend, I'll call to find out which grade they have and how far to nearest high grade. I haven't had problems with tides at any of the launches, other than Marysville. I'm still up for the ride on Sunday or Monday. Keep me posted.

The Cap'n

There's a good website for approximating distances on a Google basemap. http://www.mapmyrun.com It may have been created to measure runs & bicycle rides, but you can use it on any portion of the map, water included.
    Last edited by Midd1994; 06-28-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Edit link
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

I'm going to suggest Sunday, July 3rd for a Pt Defiance to Port Townsend round-trip, with stops along the way to link up with additional riders and/or eat/rest/refuel.

Current weather prediction for Sunday is sunny skies. The high temperatures for Tacoma/Seattle/Port Townsend are 73/71/65 on Weather.com and 80/79/65 on Accuweather.com. Not sure which site generally provides better long-term forecasts. Of course it's the PNW, so we all know that any forecast beyond 8 hours is suspect!

Based on the distance being traveled, the prediction of good weather, and the 3-day holiday weekend, I would suggest a relatively early departure to avoid any significant launching/parking issues at the boat ramp(s).
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

Pt Townsend sounds like a great ride and I'm up for it as soon as possible. Only problem with 7/3 is 1 or 2 riders want to take passengers that day. May have to suggest south sound again.

Quote Originally Posted by Midd1994 View Post
    Is there a tide level at which any Puget Sound boat launches become difficult/unusable? ...
    Launching PWC at Pt Defiance (with your awd) should be no problem. The problem is minus tide at Day Island where ramp flattens out and ends.

I'm fine with South Sound if that's the consensus. Just trying to get the ball rolling one way or another!

Have a VP Racing jerry can on its way, so this time I'll have extra fuel on board.
    Sam
    2005 Sea Doo RXT

I vote for the longer trip. Here is another idea. Pt Defiance to Poulsbo. Mostly inland waters. If passengers are coming, it's a nice trip. Remember, we don't have to keep it pinned. The time I was in South Sound with Klara, the trip was fine at a nice leisurely 30-35 mph. Makes it better fuel economy too. They would probably ask for a single berth, due to the number of skis, If I can get an estimate, I'll call for an idea on where to park in the marina. Keep me posted.

The Cap'n

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information