Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

SLT 700 - Steering question

Pulled out the SLT 700s to get out on the lake for the summer, and one of the skis has an issue with the steering.

I can only turn right. After looking it over I noticed the following:

Back by the nozzle, there's a black rubber accordion cover that had a bow in it. took the rubber cover off, and there's a metal tube that looks like it should be connected to the white plastic nut where the steering cable goes back through the hull

Questions:
    How is that metal tube supposed to be connected? Simple crimp, compressed into the metal nipple coming out of the plastic nut?

Can you just buy a replacement metal tube and the plastic nut, or can I fix what is already there?

Thanks in advance for your time,
    Elk Laker

PWCToday Newbie

Re: SLT 700 - Steering question

if it helps, here's a schematic and I've highlighted the part in question.

thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

your steering cable kinked and needs replaced
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for that follow up ZMann. I ordered a used one from John Zigler with Rock County Jet Ski.

Is there a step by step on replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleElkLake View Post
    Thanks for that follow up ZMann. I ordered a used one from John Zigler with Rock County Jet Ski.

Is there a step by step on replacement?
    Well I can tell u how I did my SL 900 which is alike.
    1st start by disconneting the cable the pump nozzle
    2nd unscrew the plastic nut from the hull, saving the nut and rubber gasket now lets head up to the front of the hull
    3rd unscrew the cable from the steering column ( hang on to the hardware you will need it for the new cable) there is a nut that holds the cable to the hull that will be tricky to remove,I can send pictures if you need.
    Now you should have all the hardware off, pull the cable out from the back of the hull.
    You may have to position the cable as flat as you can in the hull for easier removal.
    The cable goes under the engine and can be a pain to get out. PS I did not put my cable back under the engine I went beside the engine and made it much easier on me.

Place new cable in the hull from the back making sure that the nut and rubber gasket is already on the cable, or you have to remove the cable costing you time.
    Pull the cable threw the hull near the steering column putting the nut back on and tightening back down.
    Tighten the plastic nut and gasket down and place rear steering hardware on the cable and place nut and bolt back on nozzle. I used a little thread lock when I say little like "a little more then a drop" ( use loctite 242 not 271," to remove 271 it may require heat.")
    Attach the cable to the steering column and check were the center should be for the nozzle. If it needs adjustment move the nut on the front of the hull that the cable runs threw. Move that nut up or down to adjust your steering. I will leave u my personal number in your PM if you have any questions..
    Last edited by hungoverracer; 06-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    Southern Gypsy
    president of his own one man club.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    your steering cable kinked and needs replaced

Zman can you send me a bigger pic of your blue and white polaris would like to get a bigger pic
    Southern Gypsy
    president of his own one man club.

Thread Information