• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquaman222
    PWCToday Regular
    • May 2006

Substitute for Loctite 518 and Loctite 592

I can't find two products I need to rebuild the pump on my 1996 XP. Loctite 518 Gasket Eliminator and Loctite 592 Pipe Sealant with Teflon.

What is a readily available substitute at a local Autozone, Advance or Oreilly autoparts stores?

518 is referred to on Page 217 of the shop manual for the seal housing and seat.
    592 is referred to on Page 220 of the shop manual "apply loctite 592 on threads of the fitting tool. I believe this only refers to pressurizing the pump to test for leaks, but if it is completely rebuilt, I should not have any leaks.

I'm driving you guys crazy, but this is my first time having to work on a ski and I'm doing ok for a novice, but I just can't afford to screw anything up. I've already spent more than I planned on this ski and the wife is going to hang me if it doesn't get on the water soon.

You've all been a big help, especially Mr. Bill. I wish I could just download his brain. Thanks for everything.
  • smoofers
    Resident Guru
    • Jul 2006

Re: Substitute for Loctite 518 and Loctite 592

Check and see if you have a Fastenal in your area. They regularly stock both.
    SAC Racing
    2010 R5 Water X Racing - Rider of the Year

2011 R5 Water X Racing Beer Pong Tournament Co-Champion

Comment

• aquaman222
      PWCToday Regular
      • May 2006

Is that a store or a brand? And what version of Fastenal if its a brand?

Comment

• smoofers
        Resident Guru
        • Jul 2006

It is a store, they sell industrial supplies, hardware etc.

SAC Racing
        2010 R5 Water X Racing - Rider of the Year

2011 R5 Water X Racing Beer Pong Tournament Co-Champion

Comment

• jerrspud
          PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
          • Aug 2008

try a dealer if you want the exact stuff. I got some 517 (about the same as 518) from Tacoma Screw
          Jerr
          SeaDoo FAQs
          Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
          90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
          96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
          88 JS550
          pile of parts, but it's all there

Originally posted by JetDreams
          your finger is the trigger to success...

Comment

• seadoo_newby
            PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
            • Oct 2008

You should be able to pick up the permatex brand of 518 and or 592 at Autozone or Advance Auto. The 518 is an anaerobic thread sealant used for the pump cone mating surfaces and the oring, where as the 592 is used for the pump cone plug, as it is a high temperature sealant. I believe the 592 comes in a white tube. I hope this helps.
            Last edited by seadoo_newby; 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM.

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

sigpic God Bless The United States of America

Comment

• phoenix02
              PWCToday Newbie
              • Jun 2011

I read that Permatex bought Loctite out several years ago. We should have a cross reference for our old service manual directions to the new readily available Permatex number - especially the 242, 572, 592's.

Comment

• Jeffw5555
                Resident Guru
                • Aug 2008

I quit using Loctite 518 for everything because it is ****, and Sea Doo knows that as well, as they quit using it too. For both of these applications, you can use a good sealer like Threebond 1211.

Loctite 518 was used for a number of things on the old skis, like crankcase mating halves, and pump mounts. Problem is that it degrades over time and crumbles and you have leaks all over. The silicone-based sealants never go bad.

Comment

• outlaw55
                  Frequent Poster
                  • Jul 2010

The above posts are correct. Use Permatex, if you look they will have the same number. You can get them at any auto parts store.

Comment

Working...
                  X