• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffen
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jun 2011

2000 Ultra 150

My 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150 ran great but was fouling the rear plug after a few hours of use. So I took it to a Kawasaki dealer who took the carbs apart etc. When I got it back it was difficult to start, had no power and had lost top end. A second trip to the same dealer got the same results. I wrote off the $500 charged and took it to a second dealer. Another $400 later it is almost impossible to start and won't run right once started. I now have it with an independent mechanic who pulled the enginge, checked the compression, checked the rear seals, took off the intake manifold and can find nothing wrong. He says everything looks to be in very good shape. This boat has been kept in as new condition so this is VERY frustrating. Any suggestions as to what to look for? Or, can you suggest a knowledgeable mechanic in the area of Corning, NY or around the Finger Lakes/Rochester area that knows these older Ultra 150's and could fix this boat? Help! And, thanks, Steffen

[email protected]
  • hyosung
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Aug 2010

Re: 2000 Ultra 150

ook first of the plug was fouling due to old plugs they need to be replaced after 10 hours ..... second the first dealer fu<ed the carbs when they put them back together ( didnt seal them up properly ) third WHY did you let someone who is not familiar with ultras touch your ski ..... easy fix remove the carbs reseal them as per the manual .....or PM me and i will step by step you thruogh the procedure ..... replace the plugs every 10 hrs with br8es ngk and dont let **** heads touch yous ski as next time it may cost you a whole new engine .... from the lean condition caused when the carbs have NO vacum at high RPM and useing the wrong plugs .....
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• Steffen
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Jun 2011

Hi! And, thanks for the response. Yes, if I could do it again no one would touch that ski. But, I was dumb enough to think that a dealer (two dealers?) should be able to address anything as simple as a fouling plug. By the way, it was always the rear plug that fouled. Would you be willing to share your phone number with me. I am not a mechanic, but I would really appreciate it if you would talk to the guy working on it right now. My e-mail is [email protected] . I am really at wits end with this. Again, Thanks, Steffen

Comment

PWCToday Guru
        • Mar 2010

talk to your local ski'ers and ask who they use, local reputations should play a big part in who has the ability to repair it, most of the time the dealers dont have experienced tech's onhand because of the lack desire to pay a fair wage so the experienced tech becomes independent, find that shop and be honest about the problems and whats been done by who, develope a good working relationship and be patient.
        Mike

Comment

• witness140
          PWCToday Regular
          • Aug 2010

How mechanically inclined are you? If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, are email/internet competent (can take good digital photos, post them correctly, etc) we can help you with a lot of stuff.

Hyosung is in Western Australia, so unless you want to skype him when you should be sleeping or vice versa, I don't see that as practical.

Your base issue was a fouled rear plug. I hear what hyosung is saying, but you should not need to replace plugs on a mandatory basis every 10 hrs to prevent this issue. You need to figure out why you are fouling a rear plug while the other two - I'm assuming - are acceptable. That is step 1. I base this statement on the fact that I've put over 10hrs on a couple Ultras.....and I'm not fouling plugs. Why you are fouling that rear plug would require a lot of other questions. Here's some that come to mind.

-Are you running premix?
          -If you are, why? Did the previous owner do a hack conversion?
          -How do the other 2 plugs look?
          -When is the last time you checked your cooling loops?
          -When is the last time the oil lines were changed?
          -Has anyone checked the oil pump outputs? (there is a service manual procedure for this)

-What are your compressions? Did the dealer at least tell you what they were?
          -How do you use the machine? Do you run her pretty wide open? Or do you just putt around?
          -What kind of plugs are you using right now?
          -Has this been a problem since the day you bought it? Do you know the service history of the machine?
          -How many hours are on the machine?
          -Has there ever been any major work done? Did someone replace the rear cylinder or something odd?

Dealers are like general medicine practicioners. They may know a little about a lot, but they don't know (generally) a lot about a little. Ultras are awesome machines but really understanding them is a bit of a niche. This is why you see Ultras being parted out all over ebay. Because the small niche group doesn't own the vast majority of Ultras! They run great for awhile........and then someone messes them up or the complete lack of attention grenades them.

I have a feeling that what you are dealing with is a bunch of idiots meddling with that machine since the year 2000, and finally - the brigade has finally triggered a problem with stacked up mistakes. A bit like a badly tangled extension cord. For a long time it will still reach what you are working on despite that tangle getting bigger. But eventually, it gets so knotted up - you can't use it anymore.

Personally, I love buying knotted up extension cords and un-tangling them. It's fun!
          Last edited by witness140; 06-08-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• hyosung
            PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
            • Aug 2010

hey witness hows it going PM me ..... could posibly be some clown has some how swiched the rear cylinder oil line and its useing the counter balance line ( not sure what would happen there as iv never done it but on the output test they are not the same ) ..... the 10 hours is as a guide as when the plugs are in my ski over that the performance goes off .... and i know how much some people love maintaining these skis . NOT
            http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

Working...
            X