Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Beyond 10 hours on the f-15x

So I this past weekend I finally got to take my new F15X out on the water and Im loving it.

Per the manual I spent the first several minutes of the engines life just idling around letting it get good and warm. My plan for this ride was to keep it short and basically just do a full heat cycle. Withing about 10 seconds of getting on plane it was obvious that I was on a totally different hull than my previous F12x. This thing rides high and dry. Being late in the day there was no traffic on the lake so of course the ride was smooth, with this hull however it was almost to smooth to describe. The foot wells stayed totally dry which was also a nice change since it was rather cool out. Another thing I liked is that, at idle, this thing sounds like Civic with a lightly modded exhaust. Basically sounds like the 12's under load though. Within about 20-25 minutes of pottering around under 5k rpm I returned to the dock for the night very please with the ride.

Friday morning I headed out once again bound for the farthest reaches of the lakes 22,000 acres. This day brought significant wind chop but it was a non issue for the 15. Keeping the r's low for an entire tank was a serious challenge but I managed to do it for the majority of the ride. As the fuel dropped I started to push the rpms farther and farther also increasing the rate of acceleration to load the engine a little. It took nearly 6 hours to get down to the last bar of fuel. On my way back to the dock I gave it a full pull on and DAMN 69mph! Now, I noticed that while the numbers ramped up the rate seemed to stumble or stick around the upper 50's and then jump into the mid 60's. This of course had me reaching for the gps. So on my approach to the dock I gave it one more quick full pull. I didnt leave it open long but the GPS did show 64.7mph and I believe the speedo read 66 on that pull. I have read that there may be some flashing on the ride plate near the speed sensor that needs attention so I'll be looking into that.

Saturday, with the break-in tank out of the way, I headed back out this time with my woman on board. She quickly commented on the dry foot wells and "higher" ride. We cruised around for a while and then met up with friends who wanted me to tow them on a trick tube. So we spend the next couple hours towing riders ranging from 125# - 280#. Theres no comparison between the 12's and the 15's when it comes to towing. With the 15 theres no climbing on plane even with the 280# rider on the tube as the 15 snaps itself and the tube instantly to the top using only maybe 30% throttle. Here's a key note that really impressed me. Even having pulled multiple riders for roughly half the time on the water, my gas mileage for the day was still 6.2mpg. I'll take that any day. Pulling tubes is not at all my gig but its nice to know you can if you want to.

By Sundays ride the holiday boat traffic and 20 mph wind was in full effect. What better way to shake down this new ride since it supposed to be a rough water beast. I must say it delivered! Even in the worst slop I could grab a fist full of throttle and blast off with all the confidence one could ask for and it would stay hooked every time. Mid afternoon while hanging out in a swim area a RXT215 (not wake ed) showed up and well you can guess what that lead to. Luckily for him we were in a narrower section of the lake so there was only a very minimal amount of waves. First race I leaped so far ahead that we stopped as I thought maybe I jumped the start. Second attempt even laches but again I instantly pulled ahead and we let out with the Honda about 8-9 lengths ahead. As we turned around and headed back he was on the inside so as we straightened up he was maybe 10-11 lengths ahead and I took it upon myself to try and run him down we must have had nearly equal top speed as It took forever to get back even with him before we let out. A third and final race yielded the same results of roughly 8 lengths advantage Honda. The guy said he though he had impeller issues that affected his acceleration, but hey wining is wining so I just thanked him for the race. After the race I just went out and did some thrashing around through corners both high and low speed. I t be came real obvious real quick that this thing is nowhere near as flickable as the f12s. It is however much more consistent through hard turns as the back end stays stuck very well. I have read were that some feel that is slides out like the 12's but just did not feel it. Maybe after Im more comfortable with it and pushing it harder this will show up. We finished off the day by running a few miles up a flooded creek channel and then returned to the dock having only burned less than a half tank of fuel in 6 hours on the water!

Today after getting the ski back home I went ahead and did the full 10 hour service and all was well. I can hardly wait to get it back out and of course to do a few things to it. First on the list is a custom Jettrim seat because the big silver blob is not doing it for me. Next of course the go-fast-goodies Intercooler, Intake, FP reg, Boost Controller, BOV, and Custom Exhaust, all from H20Extreme.
    I see a Ultra 300x in my future.

Re: 10 Hours On the F15x

Great write-up.....So glad you are in awe with your 15, cause your 12 has big plans in the near future, as soon as I get time to take it to Ramon.... And that of coarse means no trade-backs !!! It is definitely a sleeper....I can suck an RXT into my game every time....and leave them scratching their head wondering what just happened ??? Funny thing is....they always "have a bad impeller"......

'08 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO (FOR SALE)
    '09 Sea Doo GTX 215
    '10 Yamaha SX240
    '06 Honda F-12X (SOLD)
    '07 Honda F-12X (keeper)

For those that understand...no explanation is needed; For those who don't understand...no explanation is possible !!!

PWCToday Guru

What kinda of device do you use to check your speed with GPS? is it waterproof? Also, great write up, you don't hear too much about the f15's at all.

PWCToday Guru

My first hours on the F15X were very similar to yours. Initially, I thought I couldn't break the back-end loose during a turn, but that was only because I was staying below 5K RPM. You *can* get the back-end to break loose, but it doesn't break as easily as a 12.

I use the Garmin Oregon 450 on my ski and Garmin 546s in the the boat ...both are waterproof and work great!!
    Last edited by B.B.; 05-31-2011 at 01:15 PM.

'08 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO (FOR SALE)
    '09 Sea Doo GTX 215
    '10 Yamaha SX240
    '06 Honda F-12X (SOLD)
    '07 Honda F-12X (keeper)

For those that understand...no explanation is needed; For those who don't understand...no explanation is possible !!!

PWCToday Regular

Good write up and I enjoyed reading the part about pulling a tube. One of the posters was bad mouthing the turbo Honda suggesting it would not be good for towing or wake jumping. The motor has zero lag and that poster had no idea what they were talking about. It will be interesting to see what Ramon does for your ski in the extra pony department. I really like Ramon's Intake Grate and Ride Plate mods on my F15x. Thanks Ramon! And thank you Mac for the extra HP!
    2009 F-15X (Macsboost Stage II Kit, H20xtreme Ride Plate and Intake Grate)
    2005 F-12X (bone stock)
    2000 Yamaha XLT-1200

Quote Originally Posted by Mastroz View Post
    What kinda of device do you use to check your speed with GPS? is it waterproof? Also, great write up, you don't hear too much about the f15's at all.
    Yeah I spent lots of time searching for real feedback on the 15's and found only a limited amount so thats why I felt the need for the lengthy post. As far as a GPS I have a waterproof military spec phone that will do it but I had my Garmin on board and used that instead. Im trying not to get to caught up is top speed/gps/bla bla bla as it gets annoying really.

Quote Originally Posted by twp8357 View Post
    Good write up and I enjoyed reading the part about pulling a tube. One of the posters was bad mouthing the turbo Honda suggesting it would not be good for towing or wake jumping. The motor has zero lag and that poster had no idea what they were talking about. It will be interesting to see what Ramon does for your ski in the extra pony department. I really like Ramon's Intake Grate and Ride Plate mods on my F15x. Thanks Ramon! And thank you Mac for the extra HP!
    Yeah turbo or not this thing will yank a tube right out from under any rider with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
    Great write-up.....So glad you are in awe with your 15, cause your 12 has big plans in the near future, as soon as I get time to take it to Ramon.... And that of coarse means no trade-backs !!! It is definitely a sleeper....I can suck an RXT into my game every time....and leave them scratching their head wondering what just happened ??? Funny thing is....they always "have a bad impeller"......

"Bad impeller " thats funny. And u r correct that ski does leave people scratching their head. When I talked to Ramon he said you were gonna get hooked up real well and have the baddest ski in Tampa so you better get on that.

Top Dog

Does modding your ride plate cause your speedometer to be off? I know the pump wedge I have does not is totally removable. I might recomend a pump wedge instead.
    2012 RXP-X 260
    2007 GTX LTD

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdjames1 View Post
    Does modding your ride plate cause your speedometer to be off? I know the pump wedge I have does not is totally removable. I might recomend a pump wedge instead.
    The ride plate mods are actually more efficient than bending the pump stream. The ride plate mod actually acts like "offset" does in an outboard to move the CG rearward and raise the bow. Bending the pump stream is like using trim to force the rear of the hull down and lift the bow. The wedge is removable like you said.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information