Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: 1988 650sx - Black and Metal

Great shots, glad you documented it.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Right Side Up:
    With the bottom paint complete it was time to start on the top side. The front and rear bumpers needed major remodeling. Biaxial fiberglass fabric and epoxy helped to sculpt the bumpers into their OEM shape, and also add extra reinforcement. Footholds were created, and cut into the tray.

With the body work complete, the top side was primed and painted. The hood would undergo some reconstruction as well so that will be the last piece to be painted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EngineerJon; 05-23-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Where in michigan do you ride?

With the primer complete I laid down two rolls of blue painters tape to create templates for the HydroTurf that would go into the tray and footholds.

Quote Originally Posted by sar.steven View Post
    Where in michigan do you ride?
    North of Grand Rapids. Murray Lake, Brower Lake, and Lake Michigan also.

I am not a fan of the OEM Kawi handle pole, so an AC Racing aluminum pole was purchased. The previous owned was in the process of removing the white powder coating so I received it halfway stripped down.

The rest of the pole was stripped and then polished to a brushed aluminum finish. With the OEM chinpad installed, something just didnít look right. I removed the vinyl covering on the pad and shaped the foam to remove some of the bulk, and create a ridge in the center to match the aluminum pole. Once wrapped in Black Molded Diamond turf, the pad looks much better. New Delrin bushings from Exploreron20s finished off the pole.

Catching back up to the last few weeks, the pump, grate, ride plate, etc. has all been installed. The hull repairs inside the engine bay have been painted and the water box, gas tank, and engine are all back in. With all new cooling lines and fuel lines run, the battery and pipe were installed along with everything else I am forgetting.

I mixed up a few gallons of premium to 30:1 and a separate squeeze bottle that was 20:1 to drip into the carburetor during the initial startup. Since the engine was dry and hadnít been run in nearly six months I added a half ounce of oil to each cylinder and turned the engine over with the spark plugs out before trying to fire it up.
    Other reassembly had also begun...

Using carb settings from BLRider I was able to get the engine to fire after just a few cranks. The fuel lines didn’t seem to fill as fast as I would have liked so I pulled the supply lines and used a vacuum to prime them up (much better than your mouth!)

With the fuel lines primed and the garden hose at the ready I fired the engine, turned on the hose and ran the ski for about three minutes. It ran very well on its own at idle, considering the mods I have done since I last heard the ski run, it sounded like a Harley compared to a Vespa.

Time to Turf:

Laying molded diamond turf on a flat surface is easy, making it curve around bends and footholds is not. Using the blue tape templates I had created previously (Thanks LisaLisa!) I cut out the turf sections leaving plenty of extra in the areas of the footholds, and other spots that the tape didnít lay flat. I was able to use a single piece of turf for each side, and then one for the bottom of the tray.

After many hours of heat, pressure, and molding, I was able to get the turf formed to the tray before applying adhesive.

11/16Ē ultra-plush pad was laid down for some extra cushioning, and sound dampening (Thanks BLRider!)

The feet cutouts were an added touch, but pure necessity from a safety standpoint. I mocked up the turf plus padding before install and my foot was wedged in really tight, not a good situation.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information