Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

inline fuel primer bulb?

I plan to install a typical marine outboard primer bulb on the fuel line of my '98 GTX Limited Seadoo ski. My idea is after replacing fuel lines, filters, selector valve, and cleaning fuel tank, that pumping the primer bulb will insure that fuel is in the line and the carburator before cranking. Therefore less cranking to pick up gas and consequently less wear on battery and starter.
    Is it safe to have an in-line primer bulb installed permanently?
    How about installed temporarily just to get fuel in the lines and carbs and ski cranked up one time?
    I see in the Watercraft Superstore catologue a fuel siphon pump for sale ($27.95).
    Is this just for draining fuel tanks?
    Oh yeah.........I bought the Impact Screwdriver Set at Harbor Freight for $7 (less than $10) cause Bill said this was best way to prevent messing up screws on carbs. Neat tool.
    Thanks

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JasonZE's Avatar

Re: inline fuel primer bulb?

not nessasary if the fuel filter bowl is full (easy to do) it will crank and start in about the same time as normally would the carbs hold very little fuel and the pump is fast.
    if you want it to start sooner put gas down the air filters to get it going.
    If you want to spend some money put it towards a primer it will make life easier and extend battery/starter life
    currently riding sxr or what ever has gas in it!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mmille_mr2's Avatar

a primer kit is VERY cheap. Just do it right and enjoy an easy starting ski.
    Mike Miller

90 550/650 - Silver 650, 17 scat, SBN44, pipe mod - SOLD
    97 Daytona 1000 - almost mint condition, stock - SOLD
    1975 Jetstar boat with 115hp merc
    07 SXR - Bone stock, and staying that way!
    94 WB1 - Stock, Surf Ski
    Custom RN SJ - Mason Waddle Tribute Ski

If your needle and seats are good they usually hold fuel pressure for a week or so with almost instantaneous combustion and not much choke required . Any longer then fuel pressure drops and evaporates .

PWCToday Newbie

I never heard of a Primer Kit. I see them in the watercraft superstore catologue: singles, duals, and triples: $30.95, $37.95, $49.95
    I would appreciate more info that can be shared about these kits.
    Thanks

I dream skis

doesn't the 98 gtxl have an accellertor pump? but a primer kit consists of a pull/push plunger which is usually mounted on the top deck and some lines that you'll have to tap into your existing fuel lines in order for the plunger to suck fuel out of the tank and rapidly supply it to the carbs.

PWCToday Newbie

yes, on the mag carb
    I just think a primer bulb would quickly get gas in the lines and carbs after replacement of fuel lines and fuel filters inside the carbs.
    Primer bulb is cheaper and easier than a primer kit....................but is it safe?

resident guru

Trouble with a primer bulb is you will have to take the seat off to use it. Primer kit's plunger installs where your choke knob used to be. It also has the advantage of removing the choke plates.

since the ski has the accelerator pump on the carbs, couldnt you just open the ski to WOT a couple times before hitting the starter? if i recall correctly when you do that, a little gas is squirted into the carbs via the accelerator pump.
    98 GSX L - 971 bore, solas prop
    97.5 GSX L - 971 bore
    96 HX - work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Kookta View Post
    since the ski has the accelerator pump on the carbs, couldnt you just open the ski to WOT a couple times before hitting the starter? if i recall correctly when you do that, a little gas is squirted into the carbs via the accelerator pump.
    That's how I start my GTX Limited. No choke needed. Pump the throttle 5 times and start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information