Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

97 Seadoo xp possible mods

Hello All,
    I just got a 97 Seadoo xp. It runs great and I was wanting to get some feedback on some inexpensive first mods to do to the ski while it just sits in my garage for the winter. I already know that I'm going to replace footwell pads with Hydroturf (the seat has already been recovered with a Mline cover). And that should do it for cosmetics. I want to add flame arrestors or possibly modify the stock one. Any suggestions? I've heard a lot about Prok but wanted some extra feedback before I invested the $$. Also rejet the carbs for the new arrestor setup. What parameters (i.e. how much is TOO big or TOO small) should I follow when rejetting?
    Possibly mil the stock head or buy an aftermarket. Which is a better route and who has a good head out there for the 787? I had read that the 787 responds well to higher compression, but I suppose I need to see where the psi stands as of now before I move forward with that.
    I don't want to do a lot as of right now just a few things here and there to increase the performance a tad. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

I dream skis

Re: 97 Seadoo xp possible mods

MODS?? refresh your impeller/wear ring.

clean your raves. make sure your water regulator is set correctly

leave the airbox alone it breaths quite nicely.

http://www.groupk.com/sd785rec.htm
    yes i can be this dumb you've been warned

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Minnetonka4me's Avatar

I would do the maintenance on it first...rebuild the carbs, change out the fuel lines, clean the Raves.

As far as mods, I would reccommend a intake grate and a skat prop; change out the wear ring when your in there.

the turf is priority 1....I dont know how anyone can ride the ones with the plastic mats!
    Current machines being parted out -=click below for pictures=- PM for availability & pricing

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoo_newby's Avatar

+1 on post #3. With the 97 XP, the only mods you really should do on this ski is the impellor and maybe the intake grate. Keep in mind you'll only gain about 2 to 3 mph. I have a bone stock 97 XP with the exception of the 98 XP gauges, my was gps'd at 53.7 mph. You could sell yours and get a 98+ xp limited and you'll be hauling a** at around 62 mph bone stock! JMO.

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

God Bless The United States of America

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Minnetonka4me's Avatar

Yeah there isnt a lot of performance to be had if any at all, but the added hook up you will receive will make the machine much more enjoyable to ride. Its like adding expensive tires to a car.
    Current machines being parted out -=click below for pictures=- PM for availability & pricing

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for the replies thus far. I plan on removing the carbz this weekend. The grey tempo lines have already been replaced so that is at least one less thing off my list. I was under the ski yesterday and noticed that it had a solas intake grate which looks practically new. I plan on tearing into the pump assembly in January to replace the wear ring as suggested. Again thanks for the replies.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by tbonedirector View Post
    Hello All,
    I just got a 97 Seadoo xp. It runs great and I was wanting to get some feedback on some inexpensive first mods to do to the ski while it just sits in my garage for the winter. I already know that I'm going to replace footwell pads with Hydroturf (the seat has already been recovered with a Mline cover). And that should do it for cosmetics. I want to add flame arrestors or possibly modify the stock one. Any suggestions? I've heard a lot about Prok but wanted some extra feedback before I invested the $$. Also rejet the carbs for the new arrestor setup. What parameters (i.e. how much is TOO big or TOO small) should I follow when rejetting?
    Possibly mil the stock head or buy an aftermarket. Which is a better route and who has a good head out there for the 787? I had read that the 787 responds well to higher compression, but I suppose I need to see where the psi stands as of now before I move forward with that.
    I don't want to do a lot as of right now just a few things here and there to increase the performance a tad. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

If you have the 787cc engine for sure
    then the best mods than you can do is :

porting the cylinders and cases --->>> send it to bill or to group k both are superior .

find a rossier or a factory spec 2 pipe --->>>i think that rossier ir more trustworthy if you ride it for freeride and fun
    keep you head as is .... if you want to change it try Ada head
    keep you carbs but change the jetting
    try a msd ignition or something else
    jet dynamics intake grate stock plate ,change prop and change the nozzle with a rd

if you don' want to spend a lot of money then try Intake Grate and a rd nozzle kit (http://www.rd-performance.com/catalo...20and%20Wedges)
    the impeller is good for stock engine keep it
    jetting your carbs and install filters prok is very good filters
    also try a ignition I will suggest to send your cylinders for porting and rejetting you carbs and keep the stock air box
    Last edited by iptamenos; 01-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

Hi, I'm the bill he spoke of for porting mods.

I really would not suggest porting unless you are willing to go the whole route of modifing the motor because with just a few minor bolt-on's, the 787 will not respond well to porting because the hull is too heavy for the motor that is in it, unless you modify to get over 150 HP from the motor.

I have done every type of mods to a few 1997 XP's, from mild to wild. No matter which mods you do, even if they perform to the best standard that those mods allow, you will not get the full benefits that those same mods would get if the hull were the 1996 type X-4 hull. Just so you know, the 1997+ 787 SPX's use the X-4 hull too. All because the 1997 XP is the precursor to the 947 powered XPL's that came after 1997. That hull was designed from the get-go to have more horsepower and torque up front sitting in the engine bay.

But, Like Sea Doo newby said, You can spend alot less money and own a stock XP Limited, perferably a 1999 or later model XPL. The 1997, as long as it only has 787 cc's, won't even match the power of the stock XPL.

You can make a bit of a difference by using a good rejetting kit with the filters on the carbs, a milled head, and installing a better impellor. I would also suggest a set of sponsons to make it handle better. A scoop grate is not really needed on this type hull, and most will scrub off a mph or two. Of course, for good performance, always doing the maintence on the motor and jetpump is important.
    Other than those few mods to the motor, I suggest that you not spend too much $$ trying to make chicken salad from chicken s*it. Enjoy the XP for what it is, not for what you wish it could be. It is still a nice looking, nice riding, pwc even if it is a bit doggy powerwise.

Send the head to GroupK, send the impellor to Impros, call my shop, 626 914 9509 and order the complete filters and carb rejetting kit, the new wear ring and the sponsons.

Bill O'Neal
    WCM
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.

PWCToday Regular

I had previously steered away from purchasing a couple of 97 xp's in the past because of the known power issues and was trying to hold out so I could get a good used xpl. I got a good deal on this particular one (traded it for a old generator) and thought it would at least out perform the old Polaris I have. Trust me, I have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to this ski. I just want to address a few known issues with this model before riding time gets here (which unfortunately is still a few months away here in GA) so I can get the most out of it. I'm going to run it with the stock head first (I have an R&D rec head that I haven't installed yet) which has 150 psi so I can determine the performance there and I have a set of Ocean Pro flame arrestors I recently installed while rejetting the carbs up 5 with 2.0 needles. While the carbs were out, I had them cleaned thoroughly and replaced the internals

Bill, are these the recommended sizes and similar to what your kit includes? Most of the searching I did came back with those results but of course I won't really be able to tweak it until I can get it on the water. Also, do the high and low turns in/out change from the factory settings when you rejet?

It came with a Solas intake grate and the wear ring appears to be fine. I plan on changing out the pump oil this weekend or next and will do a better inspection at that time. I'm assuming the impeller is stock but should know soon enough. I want to ride it first to see how well it does but am pretty sure I will need to get an impeller that handles well in chop since I do all my riding on the Tennessee River, though this may not be the case.

Any modification I do to the ski is just for my personal satisfaction and the experience of doing it. I don't plan on competing and for that reason, among others, I won't be putting too much money into this thing. I've got Hydroturf on the way and will be putting a primer kit and bilge pump in by summer. I'm gonna look into these recent suggestions and look forward to others. The more I read about these sort of things the more I learn and this has been a great site for that. Thanks again!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

With no other mods done to the motor, I would increase the low speed jets 2.5, half of what you used. Now, with a 5 point jump, I am not sure if you can completely clean up the amount of fuel going into the motor when idling, even with closing the LS adjusters down a bit. I strive to keep the low speed jetting so that not much, if any, LS adjustment is even necessary. As for the HS jetting, going up 5 points may work if the O.P.'s allow enough air to pass through them, especially after some use should they get a bit dirty from injesting oily water from the hull liner. I probably would have gone up 2.5 with the HS jets also as there is plenty of adjustment you can do when the oem adjustment is basically closed. You not only increased the jetting sizes, but by installing the larger N&S's, you have increased the flow of fuel to the motor at certian points throughout the rpm scale as the motor accellerates and deaccellerates.
    Remnember, the 1997 model carbs has an accellerator pump squirting gas into both carbs upon accelleration.

Another thing, do not install an aftermarket primer because you have a primer by pumping the throttle a few times before you start a cold motor. The accellerator pump becomes your primer.

The only success I have had with installing primers on XPL type hulls is by putting the primer handle closer to the carbureators, usually sticking out of the side of the deck forward and above your right foot in the footwell. But that is a bit unsightly, and it is possible that your foot or some other body part can hit the handle when you get into a crash or bail-off situation. Another place to install it is up under the hood, meaning you must lift the hood and storage tray to operate the primer handle. You can hang it inside the deck, secured by tye-wraps, or some people drill a hole by the hood post and mount it there to avoid needing to lift out the storage tray. That would be my first choice of where to mount the primer body and handle. Out of sight, and easy to access by lifting the hood a foot or so so you can pump the primer handle.
    I used to put them up under the handle bars by drilling out the choke cable hole and hiding them inside the bar pad, This looked to be the best astectic choice but the primer fuel lines are so long and so far away from the fuel line tee when routed forward and up the hood with the wiring harness and throttle cable that keeping the primer's IN line primed with fuel is impossible all of the time. The problem is that the plunger stroke inside of the primer body is failry small, so pumping the primer handle just pushes air back and forth inside of the overly long primer fuel line, and it will not draw the fuel up into the primer body after any length of storage time when there is no fuel in the primer line up by the primer body. That also happens to be exactly when the primer is needed most, after storage periods. At that point, you need to prime the primer itself in order to fill it with gasoline.

Most of the Solas grates I have seen are not very aggressive. So it may not scrub off speed, or if it does, it will be minimial, unless it hangs down under the hull more than I am thinking it does. Rule of thumb: Anything that creates more drag under the waterline is going to slow the watercraft. Use a straight edge under the hull to detirmine wether or not it is too low, causing excessive drag. The best senerio I know of is the oem grate or a modified aftermarket grate.

Let me tell you a story about scoop grates. In 1998, one of my riders won the limited 1200 runabout championship at the WF's in Havasu. He was riding an XPL that I had modified by enlarging the bore size, making the engine a 1006 cc motor. I made jetting changes and removed the chokes, ran ProK air filters, a Miller billet intake manifold, modified the timing and made an impellor change. Other than that, the rest of the boat except the scoop grate, handlebars, mats and seat cover, and sponsons, was stock. There were no aftermarket pipes avaiable at that time as the XPL's were still fairly new, and only a few aftermarket parts were available.
    After the races, in tech, I noticed that the grate was missing. I figured someone had left the fasteners loose and it was at the bottom of lake Havasu. It would not be the first time I lost a scoop grate while riding a pwc. When we returned to the shop with the XPL, I ordered a new grate. A few days later, I found the grate that should have been under the XPL's hull under the bench next to where we had installed a bunch of mods onto the XPL before leaving for Havasu. That XPL won every race it was in during our time racing it at the WF's. That hull never had a scoop grate on it at all the whole time we were there.
    So, I have to ask, is an aftermarket scoop grate needed on this hull ? My thoughts are yes if you ride where there is big chop or surf waves on the water most of the time that you are riding it. If there is minor chop. like during a race when 16 pwc's are making wakes and there is no wind to speak of, our winning that race, and the other races it was entered into, makes me think this hull really does not need a scoop grate at all to direct more water into the jetpump unless the water is rough or you are playing in the surf.

If you do not ride primarily on rough waters, use a non aggressive scoop grate. ( meaning it does not hang down too far under the hull ), But if rougher waters are normal for your riding spot, a good R&D Aquavein or Jet Dymamics medium grate will work best for you.

Bill O'Neal
    WCM
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information