Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frequent Poster

is there any difference between 440 pump and 550 pump

whats the difference between a 440 pump and 550 pump? is there a serial number or something to tell what pump it is? is 440 and 550 parts interchangable?

the reason im asking is i found a 440 with a bunch of aftermarket parts (exhaust, tank,impeller,,pump ,fuel lines and bunch of other stuff basically the hull ski but he disassembled it for a rebuild super really good deal CHEAP AS IN CHEAPP =)

jst wanna make sure i can use some of the parts and the rest ill sell here =)
    thanks
    Last edited by eg6togsxr; 11-10-2010 at 11:48 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Re: is there any difference between 440 pump and 550 pump

The 550 pump has an impeller that threads onto a pump shaft, the 440 impeller threads onto the driveshaft, making the driveshafts different. One is mixed flow and the other is axial flow. The other parts you listed are compatible.

the pump is definitely different i learned that the hard way

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

They are very different in their design. The 440 Pump is an Axial Flow pump that is a straight shot from intake to exit of the pump. The water is not compressed in the pump like a 550 pump. On a 550 pump the water is drawn into the pump and it is compressed because the exit end of the pump has a reduction nozzle. This is a very basic explanation of the pump differences, but I hope it gives you an answer to your question. The 440 pump can move more water and at a much faster rate becuase of it's axial flow set up. The 440 prop is mounted on the drive shaft and it free floats in the pump housing so it is very important to have your drive line very straight and linear. This is done by proper shimming of the pump. The 550 prop is mounted and supported by the pump and it stays fixed and it requires much less attention. Also when a ski is modified using a 440 pump it is important to support the bulk head because the design of the 440 pump puts stress on it.

There are good and bad to both pumps. Put it this way, if I used my ski for just racing and had a crew to maintain the ski. I would go with a 440 pump. But, for recreational use and less problems with the ski I use the 550 pump. Regarding the parts interchangeable from a 550 ski and a 440 ski. They are very common and a lot of parts can be interchanged. The pumps are the only real unique parts and of course engine displacement. You can easily drop a 550 engine in a 440 hull while leaving the 440 pump intact. However, if you put a 440 engine to a 550 pump it does not perform that well.. Good luck!
    Last edited by JSNate; 11-11-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Frequent Poster

thanks alot everyone i think the pump from thats ski im buying is a 550 =)(fits my ski) w/ unknown skat trak SS impeller =) bcuz the impeller is conected inside the pump ill part out the rest of the stuff here probably tomorrow soo keep an eye on kawi classified =)

Well put Nate.
    2000 SeaDoo RX Millenium Edition
    1990 JS440 (Original Owner) PJS Ski (Peek at photo album)
    1989 JS550 "Haulin' Harry G's" Westcoast Ski (Peek at photo album)
    1986 JS550 (Daughter's Ski) Almost completely stock - for right now

2011 GREAT LAKES WATERCROSS TOUR - Vintage 550 1st Overall
    2013 GREAT LAKES WATERCROSS TOUR - Novice Ski Lites 3rd Overall (KAW SXR #147)
    Thanks to SPONSOR S.Hyke Performace Racing Products

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

You can install a complete 440 pump and drive shaft into any JS hull with a 550 pump, or vice versa.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JSNate View Post
    ..... Also when a ski is modified using a 440 pump it is important to support the bulk head because the design of the 440 pump puts stress on it.

How do you suggest supporting the bulkhead as I am doing this conversion right now?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

unless youre running a 8k+ rpm pro mod engine in your boat or a 650/750 engine swap, not having a bulkhead support will be fine....again it can all depend on what type of riding you do as well....running bouys at WOT all day can put added stress on the bulkhead....people say maintaining a 440 pump is much more work...i kinda disagree as I have a 440 pump and have not had to do any maintance on the boat since i put the pump in the boat...every couple of rides, I will grease the pump fitting and that is it....I will say that properly shimming the engine, driveshaft and pump was quite time consuming getting it perfect but it is worth the work....I like the worked 440 pump i have with an ocean pro outlet nozzle..the ski has lots of low end and really rips on the top...
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

PWCToday Newbie

JSNate, are you sure that the 550 impellers are a fraction bigger in size than the 440 impellers that don't screw on? Because I have a new 550 impeller but only 440 pumps for my mini jetboat, so I cant use it till I buy a 550 pump. I am running a 550 engine, but the 440 impeller has had its day with stones, (need to make intake better as are crap in the shallows) but a new550 pump and impeller should help, but I reakon the impellers are a touch bigger???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information