Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday Guru

Re: winterizing stx-15f... what do i need???

Thx for the info

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home puckoach's Avatar

Starting my sixth winter with my 05 15F.

I know I have posted this all back in the threads somewhere. Last year someone mentioned the sump pump in the bucket. Great Idea, assume some bilge pumps will work just as well.

But this is with the engine running !

In order. To the gas station, Stabil in tank. Fill tank. Drive back to garage, mixing gas and stabil. Unhook. Run engine with nose tipped up. Let cool. Do it again, let cool. Do it again, let cool.

Level craft. Hook up source of anti freeze. Start engine, run in a gallon of anti-freeze. Tilt up and continue to run engine. Let cool. Run engine again, let cool.

Level craft and pull plugs. Engine Storage Spray, bump engine, spray again, bump, spray again. Re-install plugs.

Spray the hell out of the inside of the craft with CRC656. Then the exterior pump, nozzle etc.

Leave back of seat un-latched, allowing some air in. Cover, don't want sunlight hitting fuel tank.

I remove battery, and keep in a garage attached to my house, that doesn't freeze. I don't use a constant tender. Usually, attach overnight once or twice during the winter. Original OEM
    battery, that just went thru it's 6th season.

If the ski will be left in the area where the temp will go below freezing point, <32F, remove the hose at the bottom of the exhaust pipe elbow fitting to drain out stagnant water which can freeze, expand and can crack the $300 pipe. It is described in the owner's manual.

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kawiski View Post
    If the ski will be left in the area where the temp will go below freezing point, <32F, remove the hose at the bottom of the exhaust pipe elbow fitting to drain out stagnant water which can freeze, expand and can crack the $300 pipe. It is described in the owner's manual.
    Agreed, while I haven't seen this in the manual, I have found significant water at that location(1 cup+) even after tipping the ski nose-up and gunning the engine a bit. My skis could see -25C over winter, even though they're stored inside a dry garage.
    Last edited by shuswap; 12-10-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shuswap View Post
    I haven't seen this in the manual
    In case people have not seen or don't have the owner's manual, here you go:
    Last edited by kawiski; 12-10-2010 at 04:38 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home puckoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kawiski View Post
    Once again, my thanks goes out to Kawiski for his thorough advice and detail.

Be assured that most of us appreciate it !

In this case I will admit I am not following the "book" procedure. During my first three years of owning this craft, our crew at the time kept riding throughout the winter. So, I was going thru my procedure multiple times.

My pwc is stored in a garage, that is certainly below freezing for quite a bit of Dec/Jan/Feb. While it might not be the best procedure, it works for me.

PWCToday Regular

Is that hose constant for stx 12f as well?

Quote Originally Posted by joebreck View Post
    Is that hose constant for stx 12f as well?
    Yes, 12F & 15F are exactly the same, just different in cc.
    Don't worry about using anti-freeze or water being left in cyl block. The only thing to be worried is the water collected in the lowest part of the cooling system - which is the 4-into-1 exhaust pipe shown in the diagram.

PWCToday Regular

Back from the dead so as not to start a new thread.

1) For anti-freeze, are people running what appears to be gallons of anti-freeze and just letting it run into the storm drains? I am not eco-wacko but I won't do this.

2) Is there a way to just hook up an air compressor to blow all the water out?

I paid my dealer to do this last winter and now they want $299 for an oil change and "summerization" of the craft. That isn't going to happen and I'll winterize the boat myself this November. I can certainly do what the manual recommends but it would make sense if I could just blow the engine out like we do with our sprinkler systems every year.

NC

PWCToday Regular

I agree Greg, putting antifreeze in there means that (some or all) is going to end up dumped on the ground or in a lake. Much better to drain the water out!
    Here in western WA, I have never had a ski freeze water in it, as long as it's in the garage anyway.
    Regards
    charger_john
    in Kent, WA.
    1996 JS750SXI (sold in 2017!), 2004 STX-12F, 2015 Superjet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information