Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

winterizing stx-15f... what do i need???

this is the first ski ive winterized, its an 05 stx 15f. should i put anitfreeze in it or just get all the water out of it? and how is the best way to get antifreeze in it??? should i drain all the gas out or just add some stabil to it? i know to disconnect the battery and lube up everything. but im just really not sure what the best things to do are. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks, michael
    Last edited by 12XXX; 11-01-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Re: winterizing stx-15f... what do i need???

Get fogging oil, never seez, marine stabil, and a good trickle charger and follow the instructions in your owners manual. I don't add antifreeze but I drain/blow out the machine exactly the way they tell you in the OM. A lot of people here will tell you to get anti-freeze, but being in the AC/Refrigeration business, water freezing is a problem only if it's under pressure and cannot expand when freezing. I have an 08 STX-15F and a 97 GP1200 and never had any problems.

PWCToday Guru

I haven't done the anti-freeze trick, but I do drain the exhaust system fittings very well and tilt the trailer tongue WAY WAY up to get as much water out as possible. Follow the book to a "T"....if you miss something it will be a sad day for you come spring. If you don't know, ask.

PWCToday Newbie

i really appreciate the replys. i was mainly just concerned about getting all of the water out, i'm a little confused about the hoses they refer to in the owners manual so i was thinking that if i did the antifreeze "trick" then i would eliminate that problem. i was assuming that the "trick" is to hook a hose up to where the waterhose outlet is and suck antifreeze through it that way until it blows pink out the back? plz correct me if i am way off.

PWCToday Guru

Push the antifreeze, as opposed to sucking it! But not too much or it will get into the cylinders after filling the exhaust system
    Last edited by shuswap; 11-02-2010 at 12:41 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

dang, thought i understood the antifreeze but not sure now, what do you mean by "pushing" it instead of "sucking" it? (that sounds really perverted. lol)

PWCToday Guru

Well, the hose connection relies on water pressure to feed the cooling system,right?? The cooling water then exits out the exhaust and pump. DON'T try this unless you have read the manual.....or you could easily damage the motor by filling it with coolant.

The manual is pretty good, you know!
    Last edited by shuswap; 11-02-2010 at 01:40 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

ok, last question. if i tip the jet ski up and crank it up, will that be enough to get all the water out? or do i need to disconnect the hoses?

PWCToday Guru

The book says to remove that lower hose I mentioned earlier, tip it this way and that, so it drains, then you can re-attach it snuggly. It's not that hard to do and you WILL get some extra water out for your efforts
    Last edited by shuswap; 11-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

alright, thanks, thats what i'll do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information