Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Spring project 650 powered jon boat. . .general ?'s

This summer I really did not use my jet skis as much as I would have liked. I live on the water so a good row boat is really handy and utilitarian. I decided I am going to keep one 650 and then I will use my other 650 to power a 15' jon boat. This summer I got a small rowboat with a 8hp motor and I used it a ton. I would love having an aluminum jet powered boat as you can basically go anywhere with them.

Here is the general plan. I can work with steel but not aluminum so I am not going to mess with building an intake. I am going to chop the hull up and leave several inches around the intake. I will make a frame to mount the engine and then implant the drive out of the 650. Bolt the jet onto the stern of the jon boat. Obviously I will prly have to beef it up some. Then I will cut out a hole in the Jon boat to bolt or rivet the intake from the 650 into. This is really rough but I think it will work.

My biggest concern is where to put the jet pump. As in how high. On jet skis they are usually submerged when sitting and then out of the water under way. My concern here is that the jon boat will not sit low enough in the water. So if the base of the jet is just at the water surface under way and it is totally submerged when not moving will I be safe?

I remember reading about a member who did this with a 787 doo engine a while back but I love the reliability of the 650 and the simplicity. I don't want to go as advanced as he did with all of the aluminum fabrication either. This boat is not going to be a fishing boat or anything specific just something to get me around the water in any weather or depth.

Basically I want to make this as simple as possible and use the parts from the 650 as much as I can. I am sure It will be more complicated than I am making it sound but I think it can be done fairly inexpensively and without and absurd amount of fabrication. If their is interest I can update this thread as I go.
    Yes, i don't spell check or grammar check and i make frequent grammatical errors. If anyone wants to tell me that why don't you just bite your tounge. Were on here to share our knowledge of the great invention that is the jet watercrafts and lets keep it to that!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Re: Spring project 650 powered jon boat. . .general ?'s

Keep us posted!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home gto0209's Avatar

sounds cool, not really sure about pump placement, shoot wfo speedracer a pm, he has built a few projects like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushford_Ripper View Post
    Keep us posted!
    will do, I am not going to start on this till early spring / late winter. To much going on right now to start a new project. I am really excited to get started. Should be a fun project and have some good results.
    Yes, i don't spell check or grammar check and i make frequent grammatical errors. If anyone wants to tell me that why don't you just bite your tounge. Were on here to share our knowledge of the great invention that is the jet watercrafts and lets keep it to that!!

Would a twin engined 650 powered Jon boat be better? I do have two skis and were thinking about going all out and doing a twin engine. It would be sweet to have that much more power but would the top speed still be around 40. What if I messed with prop pitch?

Frequent Poster

94 701 SJ
    94 Kawi ST 750 x2

I have been trying to look for an aluminum boats but I am sort of split on what I should get. Originally I was thinking a jon boat because that seems to be what everyone uses. However v bottoms are much easier to come buy and are still flat enough in the stern. Also is seems like the v would help the turning a little bit. Any thoughts on that.

Pretty much as soon as snow melts here I will start with the fabrication and preliminary tests. So I have a month or two but I would really like to have the boat ready.
    Last edited by mcurcio1989; 12-29-2010 at 10:37 PM.

So today was basically the first day of this build. I picked up a 12' Jon Boat in very good condition for $300 over the weekend. (pictures). Now originally i was planning on throwing this thing together quick but I have since decided that I have all spring to work on this so I am going to take my time and try and see if I can't produce something of quality. I have a couple pictures of the donor ski and the jon boat for you. I didn't get a chance to snap any pictures of what I finished today. All i did today was remove the rear seat in the jon boat. pull the motor, electrical box, coil, and strip all the bumpers and vinyl. I started to disassemble the handle pole but ran out of time. I will snap some pictures tomorrow morning when I start. My plan for tomorrow is to finish stripping the hull of basically everything but motor mounts and the entire jet pump assembly. If I have time I will start to cut some of the hull. Mostly just because I need to clear space so this isn't an eye sore.

Question for vintage kawi guys I would really like to chop the hull down to the bare minimum. Obviously it is going to be secured and enforced by the jon boat. My plan is to basically chop the front of the hull just after the forward motor mounts and then just to the sides of the mounts. I really want to be able to use the entire drive setup of the ski and implant it basically in a big chunk into the boat, without having it look like i dropped a ski in a jon boat. The only problem I see right now is that I would like to cut the sides of the tray off so that it is more like a flat deck but if I do that won't I need to fiberglass the cut section as the bolts for the jet pump would essentially be then attached to a floating piece of fiberglass. I have not ever seen exactly how that support structure works. Would I have to glass over those? I do not want to do any extensive fiberglass work and I cannot for a couple more months till ambient temperature rises.

** I understand that I will need to add reinforcing on the jon boat after removing the rear seat and setting the motor in the which is going to want to flex the floor under load.

Pictures:

Worked on the boat a few hours today. I was able to answer my own question from the previous post as far as support for the pump. So today I more or less finished up chopping the hull. I removed all of the working components from the hull aside from the jet pump assembly and the motor mounts. I had more time but I figured it would be better spent cleaning up and organizing things. The next step now is to start cutting my holes in the jon boat. I had my dad come down and give me a second opinion where I should cut the boat and secure the two pieces. We came up with a pretty good plan for securing that. I may start that tomorrow. The plan is really starting to take shape in my head now that I have all the pieces in front of me.

Pictures from today, sorry they came out horrible.

Last edited by mcurcio1989; 01-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.

This is a really cool build, definatly keep us posted as I may have some duck hunting friends that would interested in something similar. I dont see why it wouldnt work if put together correctly

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information