User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: My Jetski trailer build

So I know this does not look like much but the amount of time and effort to get here was ridiculous.

The frame has been cut down in both height and width, so four pieces total, since it is not square on one side you have that funky angle to deal with as well, which requires another couple of cuts , then you slowly piece it back together using epoxy fiberglass tape and cabosil, once it is back together the frame has to be sectioned, then you glue those two pieces back together, but since you sectioned them they are no longer the same size now, this means a few more cuts and splices.

Then the whole thing is sanded down which removes all the texture, then epoxy and fairing compound is applied, that gets sanded down, now the texture has to be put back on which involves using texturizer from SEM, then it is primed white and lastly it is painted and installed, one down , one to go.

I did learn a trick and used small pieces of cut off material and universal pipe cement, this allowed me to glue and clamp the frame all the way around so I could fiberglass it back to gether from the back side, when that was done I used a chisel and mallet to remove the pieces, some were stuck pretty well, but there is not enough surface area to use just the pipe cement to put it back together with., luckily I have messed with ABS before on motorcycle sidecovers and fairings, epoxy sticks it back together pretty well as long as proper surface prep is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

This trailer was a utility trailer and as such it had tilt function, since adding all the stuff on it iis now way too heavy to tilt by hand , I could buy a linear actuator and mount it up but I was thinking how else can I get it to tilt, so years ago I bought this electric screw jack from Autozone on clearance sale for like $20.00.

I have only used it once or twice because I usually have a hydraulic trolly jack with me in the truck, so I came up with this idea, I drilled some holes in the plate and it is just screwed to the floor right now but I am thinking of making a plate to bolt it up to and through bolting it in.

I replaced the u-bolt that held the latch with a longer one and added one so I can bolt a piece of steel to the tongue for the jack to push against, just to check it out I u-bolted a wonder bar to the trailer and the electric screw jack lifted the trailer easily, it did bend the pry bar though which means the steel will have to be really thick, no biggie on the wonderbar, the hydraulic press will fix it right up, I will pick up some steel at the house later today and try it again. It may take a few tweaks to get it to work just right and I may have to build a swinging cage for the jack pad to compensate for the arc as it lifts. A 2" pipe will fit over the pad and a bolt though the pipe would mate with the groove in the pad.

The pic is from under the trailer looking up.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I found a piece of heavywall square tube at the shop with a piece of heavy angle already welded to it, it looked to be about the right length also, thought it might work so I loosened the u-bolts and slid it under there, the pic shows the max lift of the jack, it maxes out about the same time the rear of the trailer grounds out, the only thing I see I might need to do is cut a few links out of the limiter chain in the front.

I have been slowly making progress , the weather here has not been good for glassing so it is going very slow, the top had plywood stiffners glassed into it, a lot of the wood or OSB in this case had to be removed and replaced. The ends were cut and glassed up at an angle. I am using bricks and batteries for weights to hold down the fiberglass pieces while the resin sets up.

I had some T1-11 laying around and the thickness was correct so I ripped it down to size and beveled the corners, I saved the fiberglass pieces and reused them to cover the plywood, most of this is done with Polyester resin except where the hinges mount up at , for that I used T1-11, a piece of expanded PVC and two pieces of aluminum I JB welded together to get 1/4" thick stock.

That was all screwed together with stainless screws then glassed over using epoxy all the way. This way I can put the hinges whereever they need to go then drill and tap the aluminum blocks.

The hinges are modified stock hood hinges from a Waverunner lll.

I am trying to get the top glassed , flipped , painted and back on by next Wed, I have surgery Thursday morning and that will end any work on this for about six weeks or so.
    AttachmentsIMG_20221111_140654140_BURST001.jpgIMG_20221111_140659636_BURST001.jpgIMG_20221111_140706545_BURST001.jpg
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 11-11-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information