Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Stripped Carb Screws !

1997 SEA DOO GTI

Good progress on the carb cleaning/rebuild until time to remove block inside carb.
    2 screws are stripped inside there (the screw heads, that is...).
    I will get an impact wrench tomorrow. Will this work to get those screws out?
    IF not? what then? drill/screw extractor? What has everyone done to fix this?

I suppose these internal carb screws have to come from Mikuni ??? and not the local hardware ? More downtime waiting on orders ! Ha!

Thanks for any tips on this, SJ

Re: Stripped Carb Screws !

Common problem, just be careful and drill the heads of the screws. Take the plate out, then you should be able to remove the screws with needle nose pliers. And you'll need new screws. I think they are metric, good luck finding them at the local hardware. Parker yamaha sells them.
    I cant drive... 55.

I dream skis

As ncdoo said, drill em out and get new ones.
    2012 Seadoo GTR-4" Kana intake, Resonator delete, Vtech, XIC, ET127-other tweaks-77mph @8400 rpms.
    1997 Seadoo GTX-500+ hrs, Bill O's Rejet, F/As, Solas PPG Tuned Prop -54.8 Gps at 7040 rpms-Rebuilt engine, custom painted, 97 SPX waterbox, ride plate bolts filled in.
    1996 Seadoo GTX-120 hours-Rejetted/FAs,NuJet Prop (pitched by me)-better on bottom end and chop then the 97, 53.8 Gps at 6920 rpms.
    1996 Seadoo GTX-116hrs, FA/Rejetted/Prop/-NJ vacation ski

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

And allways use an impact driver when working on any screw outside or inside the carbureator. Use the bit that fits best, usually a #2 Phillips for most screws, even that little one that holds the needle valve retainer tight. The #2 bit needs to be in very good condition, or it too will strip stubborn screws. If the fuel pump cover screws are too corroded, use the med or large size flat screwdriver bit.

You are very lucky because those two screws are the easiest of all to get out after you drill the heads off . I use a 3/16 bit carefully centered, but up to a 1/4 in bit will work. The taper on the bit and the counter sink taper is very close to being the same, so you can use up to a 1/4 in bit, but I perfer something closer to the 3/16th or a tad larger. Stop drilling when the head comes off, and pull the jetblock straight up and out. The screws will not be in the threads tight so any pliers you can get onto them will back the screws out.

Take the screw to the bolt selling place to find new screws, hardware stores rarely will have them as they are about 3mm tapered screws. I like the cadium plated screws as they are more resistant to rust than most of what you will find, but anything will work. Just keep the water out of the fuel tank and dump the sediment bowl often.

Bill O'Neal
    WCM
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 09-30-2010 at 08:46 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

1997 Sea Doo GTI
    I knew things were going to smooth not to run into an issue like this.
    Thank you for the information !!!

SJ

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Also I own a hand impact but seldom use it, what I do have is a #2 phillips t-handle screwdriver and a very nice old school #2 phillips screwdriver that has a full length steel handle, seat the screwdriver firmly in the screw give it a whack with the hammer and they usually come right out, this will not work on cheap wal-mart made in china crap screwdrivers, don't even try it.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 09-30-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday Regular

While you're having to drill the head off anyways, may as well pick up a left hand drill bit to do it with. Might get lucky and that may back it out for you! I know Harbor Freight sells a left hand drill bit set for under $10.

PWCToday Newbie

Having a hard time with one of the screws on my carb, stripped head. Am contemplating either leaving it as is (is that the main jet under the metal there and does it typically get that dirty?) or drilling screw head off and using pliers to get the body of the rest of the screw out.

Ordered replacement screws from the auto shop in town, they are apparently metric fasteners, M4, with a length of 14mm. Shop ordered 2 12mm and 2 16mm as they don't have 14mm. They're stainless steel which the guy said was not as strong, will they be ok for the carb?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I use nice little stainless metric that I get at the local True Value. They are a tad longer but still work fine and have an allen head. Also I have a set of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/SpeedOut-...&wl13=&veh=sem
    And they work great!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home pwgsx's Avatar

For starters the correct screwdriver is a must. It is a JIS screwdriver, looks like a standard phillips but fits correctly. https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-D-332-1...ip+Screwdriver

On stripped heads though, carefully cut a slit in it with a dremel cutting wheel and then you can take it out.
    16 RXP-X 300
    JS 550 with 650 Conversion

04 RXP - w/mods - SOLD
    99 GSX Limited #1- SOLD
    99 GSX Limited #2- SOLD
    96 XP- SOLD
    95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD
    94 SN Superjet- w/mods- SOLD
    04 Speedster 200 -SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information