Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Stripped Carb Screws !

Happened to me the other day I used a star bit on my impact drill. Came right out

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

My Snap On #2 Philips screwdriver ALWAYS gets the job done...
    What would Chuck Norris do?

Quote Originally Posted by pwgsx View Post
    For starters the correct screwdriver is a must. It is a JIS screwdriver, looks like a standard phillips but fits correctly. https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-D-332-1...ip+Screwdriver

On stripped heads though, carefully cut a slit in it with a dremel cutting wheel and then you can take it out.
    Thanks for the tips Cory. Just ordered my Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) Screwdriver; not the same as a Phillips tip.

Phillips cross-tip is made to cam-out at a certain torque; JIS cross-tips are meant to apply maximum torque without slippage.

See https://www.vesseltools.com/handtool...vers/whatisjis
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 05-29-2018 at 11:14 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sxipro750 View Post
    Happened to me the other day I used a star bit on my impact drill. Came right out
    Thanks, tried it and it came out finally!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

One other tip, yeah I know it's too late for you but maybe for the next guy, if its stripped already take a center punch and center punch it on the flat section of the screw, then by using the hole you just centerpunched and the center punch to remove the screw by tilting the punch to the right and hitting it with the hammer, this method works most of the time.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    One other tip, yeah I know it's too late for you but maybe for the next guy, if its stripped already take a center punch and center punch it on the flat section of the screw, then by using the hole you just centerpunched and the center punch to remove the screw by tilting the punch to the right and hitting it with the hammer, this method works most of the time.
    Thanks, I'm adding that Tip to my arsenal...

Great idea
    Seadoo Novice "Limited" R/A 800, "Stock" R/A 1200, TEAM SHARK #800, 2005 Hot Water Tour-3rd. Place Overall-Amateur Limited 800, 2005 APBA Nationals "Amateur Limited 800" 5th place.
    Sponsors: Elite Performance, Skat-Trak, Slippery, UMI Racing, M2R Helmets, Spy Optics, Fuel Clothing, Amsoil, Hot Products, LA Sleeve, Hydro Turf, SixSixOne, my job.

Resident Guru

Those screws are very small and delicate. So dont go crazy with the punch and hammer. Usually just an easy tap will break them loose. Its not that the screw is tightened down too much, but the amount of surface area contact of the tapered head to aluminum plate. Normally a posidrive #2 phillips and impact driver removes them even after stripping if you push it down really hard when tapping with hammer.
    Last edited by Seadoo timebomb; 06-09-2018 at 02:34 AM.

My $8 Japanese Screwdriver just came in the mail all the way from Japan. No more stripped screws or having to use the heavy impact driver all the time. Ergonomic grip and nice finish.

Carburetor Screw Driver Hozan D-332-100 JIS +2 Ball Grip Screwdriver .jpgCarburetor Screw Driver Hozan D-332-100 JIS +2 Ball Grip Screwdriver A.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information