• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • butch
    PWCToday Regular
    • Dec 2009

mods for 900stx

Are there any mods for a 06 kaw 900stx that would push it over the 55 56mph mark?
  • butch
    PWCToday Regular
    • Dec 2009

Re: mods for 900stx

bump

Comment

• Dpeteland
      Resident Guru
      • May 2009

not much you can really do to the 900's. I have one besides carbs/ MRD Fuel injection *( very temperamental )* a new prop and maybe milling the head you're pretty much SOL

you can do free stuff like remove the middle bar from the intake grate and then take a grinder to make it smooth like a west coast intake for a 440/550

then make the whole bottom smoothed out... so the intake grate matches the ride plate and is even. Meaning that there is no offset in height from each... fill the gaps with silicone to prevent cavitation.

you can buy K&N flame arrestors for your stock carbs with adapters off their website

or just buy the right ones for a new set of carbs if you do it that way... then id recommend Pro K's with some pre-filters to prevent any water from getting sucked in.

doing the prop will make a huge difference... Impros is a great place to get that done or buy a new one from them... also replace the wear ring when you do.

you can go to a machine shop with your head and have them mill it off about 20 thousandths about maybe a little more or less to boost compression..

get iridium spark plugs that will match and to keep the engine cool do a triple pisser kit and maybe tap the pump for a bit more water flow so that the pissers arent being choked by a limited water supply...

all of this should take you over that 55mph Marker ... MAYBE. those 900stxs are heavy.... i dont knwo of any aftermarket pipes that would work but i do know they also sell magnum pumps... you can try one of those they wont be cheap.

you can also bore out the reduction nozzle (a machine shop will also have to do that)..... then find some glass pull her Wide open get that race stance down (make sure you have 1/4 tank or less as the less weight will make you go a bit faster) .... and tell us those GPS number

good luck!

-pete

P.S. you can probably get away with running 91 maybe a mix with a tiny bit of high octane (not too much your stock fuel lines are not meant for this stuff) and that will also work much better with iridium plugs and your milled head... if you didnt mill your head just go with the plugs anyhow dont run higher than 91.
      Last edited by Dpeteland; 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM.
      sigpic -Pete
      Originally posted by sxr951
      standups suk monkey azz! VIVA la jammer!!!
      Ran with that chopped up aluminum prop? That's pretty much a waste of time. I understand wanting to go for a run but that's like running down the 1/4 mile with the parking brake on.
      -unknown

Robot Pirate Ninjas (RPN) - United
      Sasquatch Gang
      Man Bear Pigs Alliance too.

Comment

• Dpeteland
        Resident Guru
        • May 2009

heres a mag pump FS says it fits stx models

this will be yuor biggest performance boost.

http://www.pwctoday.com/f149/skat-trak-160mm-magnum-pump-kawasaki-15f-stx-stxr-sale-300916.html
        sigpic -Pete
        Ran with that chopped up aluminum prop? That's pretty much a waste of time. I understand wanting to go for a run but that's like running down the 1/4 mile with the parking brake on.
        -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• Dpeteland
          Resident Guru
          • May 2009

Dug this up from a while back

heres what some one told me on greenhulk over a year ago

There are alot of ways to gain performance. Not so much with the 900 but still some things you can do to get overall better performance and top speed.

I would start from the bottom up....."Seriously"
          The hull,intake and pump area is probably where alot of speed is gained and lost. Plus can be cheap to get or exspensive depending on condition.

The hull if in good condition probably wont need much attention. But if damaged should be repaired. Try the intake area is the grate in poor shape if so replace it or repaire it. Then look for ways to modify it ...Like making it thinner or making it match up better for smoother transition. Same with the intake shoe and pump. This is all hand work and can take hours but the people who go fast spend hours on this stuff. Just for example I hand sanded and file'd a intake grate and ride plate for probably 4 hours maybe more.

Make sure impeller is in good shape and is at the right clearance for the wear ring.

I even changed the pump cone bolts because they where protruding in the path of the water thus making it go around instead of going right by.

So the best thing to do if your going to start modding is get some testing tools a gps and a good tach are a must so you can keep track of your progress. That way you see and feel what works and WHAT doesnt work.....somtimes you will gain speed and go home do another mod and might be going slower and you know somthing didnt work.

After spending some time there another good mod and simple is a bump in compression. Maybe a carb mod on the stock one;s or aftermarket carbs.

The list goes on and also group k has some good reading and probably the only one's who really did anything for this ski so some ideas can come there to.

Anyway hope this info helps and like I said start at the bottom and check all that stuff out...winter is normally the best time for this type of stuff or whenever you have time.

-jonny5
          Last edited by Dpeteland; 09-15-2010, 01:09 AM.
          sigpic -Pete
          -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• Dpeteland
            Resident Guru
            • May 2009

Johnny makes some good suggestions. Fine tune the setup. You are probably going to be limited with that 900 motor but I think you can put an 1100 top end on it. That would mean you could do on of group k's kits on it.Could hurt some feelings beating up on them with a little 900 stx

To give you some idea what we mean by setup Johnny has written alot in his project and there is alot in mine as well as the ultra 150 mods thread. Some of the things we have done wont apply to your ski but many will. Dont be afraid to ask questions There is lots of good help here.

- btldigger
            sigpic -Pete
            -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• Dpeteland
              Resident Guru
              • May 2009

and if i can just recommend one thing its to read this
              sigpic -Pete
              -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• Dpeteland
                Resident Guru
                • May 2009

hope that helped ya out!
                sigpic -Pete
                -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• butch
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Dec 2009

Thanks a bunch dpeteland good info!

Comment

• Dpeteland
                    Resident Guru
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by butch View Post
                    Thanks a bunch dpeteland good info!

No problemo my good man. may it serve you better than it did me because i ended up keeping stock everything (trading up for a four stroke soon anyways)... and remember if you are mechanically inclined anything is possible with a good set of tools and a little bit of knowledge.
                    sigpic -Pete
                    -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• Dpeteland
                      Resident Guru
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Dpeteland View Post
                      No problemo my good man. may it serve you better than it did me because i ended up keeping stock everything (trading up for a four stroke soon anyways)... and remember if you are mechanically inclined anything is possible with a good set of tools and a little bit of knowledge.

except perpetual motion and a few other things that may or may not have anything to do with your jet ski LOL
                      sigpic -Pete
                      -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

• skiworx
                        Kawasaki Master Tech
                        PWCToday Newbie
                        • Jan 2002

Here are some good mods that should help out!

Impeller
                        R&D Rideplate
                        Center bar cut grate
                        Milled Head
                        CV Carb mod
                        Thanks, Steve
                        Skiworx Watercraft Performance
                        410-766-7900
                        Ultra150.com Administrator/Owner

Please Visit Skiworx.com
                        email [email protected]
                        Visit Ultra150.com

Comment

• Dpeteland
                          Resident Guru
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by skiworx View Post
                          Here are some good mods that should help out!

Impeller
                          R&D Rideplate
                          Center bar cut grate
                          Milled Head
                          CV Carb mod

there ya go... those are some good mods.
                          sigpic -Pete
                          -unknown

Sasquatch Gang

Comment

Working...
                          X