Downgrading a 95 spx to a 580 twin carb.
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downgrading a 95 spx to a 580 twin carb.

This ski its an extra for family and friends. I dislike the 580 xp hull a lot

Edit: Forgot to add....can the 95 spx 657x pipe/manifold work on a yellow 580 engine? If no then do not read on.

I have a 95 spx and the 657x crank went. I have a complete early 90's yellow 580 twin carb engine with an old school PSI Performance Genesis II head, it has a bunch of aftermarket parts but I think i may sell them. I am goig to put the 580 into the spx with the 657x pipe and waterbox. The 580 did have a westcoast pipe and west coast waterbox and it has ocean pro flame arrestors. Will the jetting be off if I run the 657 pipe and the F/A's? The 657 pipe seems like the same size as the 580's west coast pipe..figured I could start to sell off some of the aftermarket parts I have and aquire another 657 or 657x next summer. I know the answer will probably be check the plugs after its together. Figured I'd ask if anyone knows how much of a difference there is in a 657 pipe vs the westcoast 580 pipe.
    Last edited by 64coupe; 08-24-2010 at 11:14 AM.

I dream skis

Re: Downgrading a 95 spx to a 580 twin carb.

you'll want to use the yellow's exhaust manifold do to water routing. IF the 650x pipe fits the manifold i think you'll be fine doing this.

Use the 657x electrics flywheel stator, brainbox. Impeller will probably be too steep but worth a try. IF these are little kids and no towing they may be no complaints.
    yes i can be this dumb you've been warned

Thanks I'll compare the manifolds tonight....The 580 has all the electronics on the front of the engine.....ready to go and I didn't think they were interchangeable. I'm going to store the 657 electronics for a 657 or 720 in the future.

Little kids can't ride skiis legally its for a 150# adult most of the time and I'll be using the pump that I had from the 580 so it'll have the correct degree.
    Last edited by 64coupe; 08-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.

I dream skis

if you only have one start/stop switch on the bars you'll need the 657x brain

pre 95 the stop was on the bar start on the console in 95+ the star and stop switch are the same.

pre 95 the stop switch is closed pushing the switch opens the circuit. post 95 its opposite its an open switch pushing closes then the MPEM shuts the engine down or starts it up.

leaving the brain box will be easier, GUT the yellows magneto cover and put the 657x flywheel and stator in there. it should be a plug/pray as far as electrics.

IF you have the yellow's intake manifold/carb use these. Choke and throttle connections differed depending on the year. where the throttle cable pulled both the throttle butterfly and the oilpump lever.

Not sure it the twincarb yellow motor will work with your 95's throttle choke cables

ok gotcha, I will have to go that route. Also for the power trim motor.

the flywheel/woodruff key and stator will bolt right up?

the throttle is different I know that already.
    Last edited by 64coupe; 08-24-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Will the flywheel fit properly without shearing off the woodruff key? and will the stator bolt up?

I dream skis

should fit up just fine.

Great thanks. I stirpped the 587 ski last night and I'm going to setup the ebox which won't be a problem.

I've pulled flywheels before many other engines. Are the stator plates adjustable on seadoos? Will the 657 case and 580 case match up as far as timing is concerned are there any marking points cast into the cases?

I dream skis

well mark/punch where the 587 was exactly. put the 657x stator in the same place.

They should be identical stators except for the plug a plug/wire on the 657X going to the gray box.

Side note to remove the 657X stator from the white housing pull the gray plug out of the connector and you should be able to slip the wires free of the plug housing. then through the Mag cover. Take some pictures before you disassemble the plug, don't goof putting it back together.

also get the shop manual the yellow's cooling is a different route then the 657x/717

Ok thanks for the pointers I'll let you know how I make out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information