User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Downgrading a 95 spx to a 580 twin carb.

Bringing this post back from the dead. Lol
    Will a 96 spx 717 mpem work with a yellow 580 engine that has a 95 657x 4 wire stator and flywheel? I did this in a 95 spx years ago (657x elec though) and worked fine.
    Tonight I dropped this same engine in a 96 spx hull and the engine fired, rev'd then died. The mpem (278 000 822) keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse. I have another 717 mpem (278 000 423) but i dont know if i killed the mpem or randomly died.

The only time the 5 amp fuse would not blow is when I disconnected the 4 pin stator before connecting the battery. Could the stator be grounding out? If i check for continuity on the stator pig tail I have the ground and the black/red wire is going to ground. The two yellow wires are open. Soon as I connect the stator the 5 amp fuse blows. Did I mess up the stator running the 717 mpem?

Side note the trim box was smoking as well. I disconnected it but the 5 amp fuse would still blow when i connected power.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The shorted down trim box is probably what fried the mpem.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post

Also thinking of it. The one side of the 5 amp fuse terminal (side towards the solenoid) went to ground when I checked for continuity and I thought that was odd.

I pulled the flywheel cover and flywheel. All looked good. Put it all back together with the other 717 mpem I had and with the trim diconnected it started fine. Let it idle and rev'd it then it killed itself again. the mpem is dead.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Wow, something is seriously wrong. There is a big current surge somewhere. Could be a faulty rectifier, could be an ignition coil trying to short down. Could be as simple as a bad spark plug........yes, had it happen to a buddy. He literally replaced everything and his ski would die right as any throttle was applied. He had already fried an mpem and everything elee he got from me off a working ski! I said,"Put the plugs from your other ski in it." He did and it's been working fine. Apparently one of the old spark plugs was shorting down when voltage was applied causing a big current draw through the ignition circuit of the mpem.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information