• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosie2514
    PWCToday Guru
    • May 2009

Re: Trim fix for under 20 bucks

yes it will, have had mine installed for a couple of rides and is going strong thus far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1996 Seadoo XP 800
    --------------------------------------
    1991 Kawasaki X2(sold)
    -------------------------------
    1984 JS550 (sold)

Comment

• CReynoldsMIZ
      PWCToday Regular
      • Mar 2012

another question, on the pdf, the wires from the 85 on one relay goes to the 30 on the other relay, for both of the relays. Is this correct?

Comment

• CReynoldsMIZ
        PWCToday Regular
        • Mar 2012

Did this yesterday with some parts from my old winch from my fourwheeler. Works great! Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Rosie2514
          PWCToday Guru
          • May 2009

the wiring in the pdf is correct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          1996 Seadoo XP 800
          1991 Kawasaki X2(sold)
          -------------------------------
          1984 JS550 (sold)

Comment

• original420racing
            Frequent Poster
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Rosie2514 View Post
            Digging up this old thread! Can anyone show me a picture of the pvc that "dtfly" is talking about in the earlier post^?
            I also would like to see a pic...the fix worked great but my friend today was messing with it and it is stuck all the way down so i gess it got jammed ill look at it tommorow and see whats up love this site

Comment

• woodsrider40
              PWCToday Guru
              • Jul 2010

Good write up ! going to get mine fix !

Thanks
              94 SPX
              96XP

Comment

• Thumper3322
                PWCToday Newbie
                • Jul 2012

Hi all new here. This seems to be the best place for this fix.

I didn't buy the 451m relay, as up here in canada it is really hard to get, they don't use them anymore, but I did have a guy build me one using the same relays that are in this module.

Question - is the purple wire as described in the 2nd page the ground for the vts switch? I think I'm good to hook it up, but I only have 2 wires from my relays for the switch, just no ground. Can I leave the purple one attached and be good with cutting the green/white and blue/white wires and attaching to the relays?

Thanks!!

Comment

• kyhi
                  Resident Guru
                  • Apr 2012

This is an edited version of the pdf posted and a colored wiring diagram..

Cheap Trim Fix.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheap Trim Fix.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	4272009
                  Last edited by kyhi; 07-04-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• kyhi
                    Resident Guru
                    • Apr 2012

Thumper,
                    the VTS buttons are already grounded - the purple wire to the vts module is battery positive - you can splice into that wire for the 12 volt positive feed as it is already fused and controlled by the system timer..

You just need the switch wires - motor wires - and a 12 volt positive wire.. Just cut the switch wires and splice into the purple or red positive wire..
                    Last edited by kyhi; 07-04-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• justforfun
                      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
                      • Nov 2006

Kyhi
                      Great job on making a nice diagram it should be real easy for people that are having trouble. I like the pvc pipe idea you put in there that would be real easy to mount were you can't see it and cheaper then the box. So now it should be about a 15.00 fix when all said and done.

Comment

• kyhi
                        Resident Guru
                        • Apr 2012

And you could use a threaded pipe cap on one end - so you still have access to the relays..

I also see a lot of people looking for a certain relay - the relays are available at Auto Part Stores, Audio / Alarm Stores..

This relay is used in aftermarket automotive lighting, alarm systems and car audio

No need for a fancy expensive one - just a 4 or 5 pin relay..
                        Last edited by kyhi; 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Thumper3322
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Jul 2012

Thanks for the info!!

Having a problem tho... I have 2 green (+12 volt battery), 2 red (switch), 2 white (motor), 2 black and 2 blue. The guy who put it together said to ground the black and blue. It is not working. Are the 30's in your diagram the grounds, which are just jumpers to the switch? I can just attach the 2 blacks and 2 blues to the switch and it will work?

I have pictures if you need for clarification.

Thanks so much again for your info.

Mine where $10 a piece, much more expensive up here. They are 5 pin mini relays with plug adapters.
                          Last edited by Thumper3322; 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Thumper3322
                            PWCToday Newbie
                            • Jul 2012

I took a pic.

Would the module click if the 7.5amp fuse is blown? I would think not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	my wiring.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	4272019

Comment

• kyhi
                              Resident Guru
                              • Apr 2012

the #30 is a ground - it gets it ground from the VTS switch... The VTS switches are already grounded through the main harness.. That same ground closes the other relay and applies battery voltage to the opposite leg of the VTS motor...

Don't matter what your wire colors are - don't try to figure it out - just follow the wiring... If you follow the wiring it will work...

I just realized you have 10 wires - 5 pin relays with harness..

2 wires will not be used.. 4 wire will join togather and go to positive.. 2 will go the the switchs (1 to each lead) and 2 will go to the motor (1 to each lead)..

you will need to pull the relay and figure out what color wire you have going to what relay number..
                              Last edited by kyhi; 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Thumper3322
                                PWCToday Newbie
                                • Jul 2012

Thanks Kyhi... Like I said I was going to use the 451m relay, some guy trying to sell it to me for $30, just went to look at it, he put together the current relays I have in the pic for $20. He showed it me working on his bench, and in theory it would work, but not with the vts setup.

BUT, in short... my fuse was gone lol. Now don't call my a dumbass just yet... when I took it out of winter storage this year it wasn't working. So first thing I did was switch the fuse with my brothers vts 7.5amp, and still the exact same click, not working. Ok, figured not the fuse. Well some time passed and I cleaned up the motor, worm gear etc and put it back together, same thing click. Well when doing this yesterday and it wasn't working, I thought again about the 7.5amp fuse, went and replaced it with a 5amp (didn't have 7.5) and reconnected the original wires (what a pain since I cut everything open) and BAAMM she is working again. Go freakin figure.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry I won't be adding photos on how to do this, as I didn't have to do it in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X