User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

How to split the cases? PICS

Hello,
    I am thinking about using fullboreonline.com to get my 951 cylinder/s cleaned up and new pistons. But before I do this, I want to make sure the crankshaft and counter balance is in good shape. My first motor rebuild. So I turned the motor over and removed the mag cover and loosened all the bolts. I realize the bottom cases are sealed together with sealant. But for the life of me, how do you get them apart?? I found a small slot on one side and I can budge that spot but that's it. I also tried to get the cylinders off with no luck, same sealant, same stuckness. What am I missing?

I also have another question...only the mag piston is pitted, with 3 score marks on the cylinder wall. But the head is pitted to, do I need to find a replacement? No one seems to offer a machining service to clean that up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Living with a 2 stroke isn't always easy...neither is a boat..

Re: How to split the cases? PICS

just going by the pics.
    there are more bolts to undo and you need to remove the engine plate and bendix holder. make sure you remove the 3rd piston cover bolts too.
    but if you have taken all bolts and holders off then you have a tuffy but they do come apart .
    post pics of the head

before u go any futher get a nice size piece of cardboard draw a picture of the bottom of your engine mark on the cardboard where every bolt goes and number it now make a hole for each bolt as u take a bolt out of the engine place it into the cardboard picture so u know where each bolt goes on assembly now in your 3rd picture u can see a small gap u can use a screw driver (no hammer!) and just pray the crankcase apart if this doesnt work turn the engine up side down lift the engine from the flywheel end holding it by the lower crankcase half and gently tap the crankshaft with a rubber mallet untill the two crankcase parts spilt if the 951 is like the 787 there is no crankcase gasket its only a sealer

Quote Originally Posted by ryejetski View Post
    just going by the pics.
    there are more bolts to undo and you need to remove the engine plate and bendix holder. make sure you remove the 3rd piston cover bolts too.
    but if you have taken all bolts and holders off then you have a tuffy but they do come apart .
    post pics of the head
    are there hidden bolts underneath the cylinders? I haven't tried to seperate those yet- just as stuck, but with the head off, the cylinders are a nice flat place for the motor to sit upside down on.

Quote Originally Posted by ryejetski View Post
    just going by the pics.
    post pics of the head
    Here's some pics of the head.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Its been a while since I messed with one of those but I think one of the main things holding you back is that metal bracket that the motor mounts bolt onto. Im pretty sure it attaches to both halves.

I removed the engine bracket, there's 1 or 2 holes that attach to the bottom half. I posted pics of the head, I am assuming I have to find a replacement for that.

its not to bad if ur on a budget or cant find another one in good nick locally just reuse it hit it with the wire brush to make sure no little pieces of metal are going to come loose once reinstalled

OK now that I was able to get some time and have the bottom cases split. But the crank is coming up with the bottom case. It wont come up far because the pistons are still in the cylinders. Sooo...can you just take the bottom portion of the case off while the engine is upside down sitting on the cylinders? OR do I need to flip it back over, force the cylinders off and removed the top portion of the bottom case?
    Thanks

Bump, forum is busy.

Thread Information