Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

951 PopOff Pressure ?

While I am waiting for my new top end to arrive from SBT, I removed the carbs and cleaned them. Internal filters were perfectly clean. I checked pop off pressure and the chart SeaDooSource has on his website for my 99 GTX indicates 19-23lbs. Both of my carbs were at 18. Any big deal? Am I getting too in depth for a non modified 951? Correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to raise the pressures is with new springs? Thanks for the help, TJCIN.

Re: 951 PopOff Pressure ?

Lots of lookers, any takers?

PWCToday Newbie

try a little searching
    http://seadoosource.com/carbpkgs.html

Thanks for the response. If you had read my initial post, you would have seen I already accessed SeaDoo Source's info. My question is, is the popoff pressure number critical? I am 1PSI outside the recommended range. Does it matter?

Changing springs is the only recommended way of adjusting pop off.
    Usually pop off is set high at the factory because the original air box is restrictive and it needs to be high to get good throttle response. So, assuming the ski is completely stock (i.e. no aftermarket flame arrestors) then you need to get the pop off in the recommended range to have good throttle response.
    What color springs are in the carbs now?
    Did you have throttle response issue when it was running?

I am not sure what color springs are in there. I do have Bill O'Neill's jet kit installed and that comes with flame arrestors. The stock air box has obviously been removed. I do have good throttle response when I am in open water, it does however load up a bit when idling through no wake zones. The first time hitting the throttle after a no wake zone it does accelerate a bit slower than usual. My original ? is does the 1PSI of popoff pressure matter? The range is 19-23 and I am at 18. Is it worth putting in heavier springs and possibly cutting them down to get exactly in the 19-23 range?

Pop off pressure can be changed with either needle and seat size and spring tension. And bills kit I think has larger Needle and seats.
    Last edited by SURFnTURF; 07-24-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJCIN View Post
    I am not sure what color springs are in there. I do have Bill O'Neill's jet kit installed and that comes with flame arrestors. The stock air box has obviously been removed. I do have good throttle response when I am in open water, it does however load up a bit when idling through no wake zones. The first time hitting the throttle after a no wake zone it does accelerate a bit slower than usual. My original ? is does the 1PSI of popoff pressure matter? The range is 19-23 and I am at 18. Is it worth putting in heavier springs and possibly cutting them down to get exactly in the 19-23 range?
    Okay your engine is not stock. The after market flame arrestors are a lot less restrictive than to OE which means pop off would be set lower, therefore the 19-23 range is not necessarily applicable to your current set up. What is the range for your ski, I don't know, but if Bill O'Neil sold you a set up for your ski I'm sure it is the best setup for your ski. Maybe he will chime in during the week. In the meantime mikuni.com has a download of the sbn manual on their website and it is a great resource for understanding the hows and whys of their carbs.
    http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf
    Last edited by plagsage; 07-24-2010 at 02:28 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

How does someone get a hold of Bill Oniel

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The 951 does run a low popoff. I would leave it as is.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information