Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 SeaDoo SP

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

90 SeaDoo SP

I’ve been working on this thing since last year tying to get it tuned well. I put on a bunch of stuff. 147RV, 44MM carb with a tuned pipe. Runs pretty fast, but it still had a problem at WOT. RMPs cut in and out. Think it was a lean problem I put in a bigger main jet.

Friday 7-2-10 4th camping trip
    Still running funny. Tried to turn the HS screw both ways and it never seemed to fix anything. One of the times I was turning the screw I notices some stuff that looked like snot on top of the PTO cover. “Hmm what’s this? It’s not oil or gas” is what I thought. I took the seat off for a ride to see if I could find the leak, and I could feel the goo coming out of the motor.
    I figured the motor was shot so I let some people ride it but no faster than half throttle, because I had given up on it as I was going to SBT it.

7-4-10 Sunday
    Back at home I decided it wouldn’t hurt to tear into it. You can see the goo all over the inside.

Here is a closer pic where I was thinking it was coming from.

Took of head and found milky white goo. “this is strange” I thought.

Searched the pwctoday and found a tread were Bill was saying it was probably a blown base gasket. Water and oil were mixing.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f15/question-bill-oneil-john-zigler-top-end-rebuild-76768.html

OK that makes sense. Maybe I just need a new base gasket and this has been my WOT problem the who time? Jug screws did seem loose in were the gasket blew out.

7-12-10 Monday
    All back together with new base gasket and o-rings. 125 psi PTO 133 mag. Not great. Still has a little bit of cutting in an out at WOT. 1 turns out on the HS screw seem to work the best. Rode a round with my daughter after the tuning. No hesitation when acceleration from mid to WOT, but at WOT the cutting will come back now and again. On the ride back it ran great. No cutting in and out at all.

It must be from my low compression. Everything else seems fine. I’ll need to tear into it in the off season. (if it lasts that long)
    Last edited by jerrspud; 07-14-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 90 SeaDoo SP

Any updates?

PWCToday Guru

yes any updates?this is a good project to start with.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home gto0209's Avatar

My sp does the same thing from time to time
    Charlie
    95 sc yami 760
    94 blaster 1100
    97 sj

Looking for a complete coffmans sc pipe and waterbox, pm me if you have one

ski is running, but still has high speed miss. pulled magneto cover last month and it was pretty clean. so that was not the problem.

have started pulled right now waiting for new brushes. I think I'll do a leak down since I have the pipe off.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550

This the 580 motor?
    89-kawi 650
    94-seadoo spx- finally done
    96- Seadoo gsx
    IL jet Rider #8

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jetskijockey's Avatar

I have a 89 seadoo that does the same, No matter how much I tune it does not seem to run right and will cutout at WOT.

Still working on the cut out problem.

First fide of the season and the problem seemed worse. So I'm going solve it this season. The motor has been replaced with a new SBT, and I still have the same problem.

The ski was fine before I changed it from OEM. I don't think it's the electronics because I went through that whole system a while ago and disconnected the charging system and limiter and it still had the problem. The ski ran great before the new carb and pipe, so that also leads to believe it not electrical.

So I swapped my SBN carb from my JS to my SP to see if that was it. Went for a ride on Sunday the 17th and the SP still had the problem, but if felt a little different. My JS ran great with the carb of the 90 SP.

I still think it's the carb, but it could be the jets. I have different sizes to check. I still can't tell the difference between lean and rich, but it feels like it is flooding and the carb has to clear out. But at higher speeded I don't think that explains the cutting out. That sounds more like its lean, but I don't know. I'll put in a bigger high jet and go from there
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

getting close. It is running much better with a lower pop off
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...e=2&highlight=

still has a little bit of a problem on WOT
    have a 150 high in now and gona go up to 155. will test this week
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

so close now.
    155 on the high jet and all of the surge issue is gone. Once in a while when I hit a wave she will bog a little and I have to let off the throttle, but it's pretty darn close. I have a 160 and 152.5 I could try
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information