» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

JS92SX with 87 PP motor re-rebuild

rebuilt. New gaskets and new crank seals

July 1 Thursday.
    Done breaking in. First day trying at full throttle. I richened the carb out further than before just as a starting point. Ran awful and I kept turning the screw in until it ran OK. Did a full speed plug chop and the plugs were nice and brown. Ran good all day.

Friday
    Running fine and in the evening I bent a plug. I had the thought that the wrist pin was loose and put on another ring on the bottom of the plug to give it more clearance.

July 3, 2010 Saturday
    Tried to go on a longer ride, and then it bent another plug. Happened at half throttle. Was pretty far from home base this time. I was able to limp to shore, put in my last plug (this time with three washers and rode slowly back to where home base was. I was not able to start the motor on the trailer the next day to blow out the water. When I got home I was able to get her started and I was blowing the water out. In less the one minute, she shut off. Aahhh Ohhhh
    Did a compression test a few days later. PTO 130psi MAG 30… not good. Pulled the top end off.

The piston shows that it leaned out. I didn’t see any marks on the piston that would indicate a spark plug strike. Hmmmmm.

Took head gasket out and it looked like it was sealing fine. No leaks.

July 11 Sunday
    I noticed that a bolt on the intake was missing. At first I thought I must have not put it on. When I looked through the parts bin I did not find it. I started to think about it and I was wondering if the air leak was from there. Sure enough the leaded out piston was on the side of the manifold with the missing bolt. If is was running great and the bolt caused the problem, I should find the bolt in the hull. I looked around for a bid, and I found the bold under the bilge pick up. I don’t know if the manual said to lock tite the bolts or not? So my new theory is the bolt fell out due to vibration and that caused the lean condition in the motor that bend the plugs and eventual jammed the ring.
    Once I replace the piston I’ll leak test the motor and try again.

Wednesday 7/14
    Not the intake screw. If fell out of the PTO side with good compression. We'll see how the leak test goes.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 07-14-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

Re: JS92SX with 87 PP motor re-rebuild

7/28/10 I put in a motor that I got from DirkDigler 89 PP

looks like it has stock size pistons and compression was around 125. put everything back on it it started on trailer just fine.
    http://www.facebook.com/v/140547509299635

took up the the lake and had to tune the LS. had to turn it in to get a good idle. I never could tune the HS. turning it in or out there was no difference in throttle response going from mid to WOT. She was just slow and did not change speed from mid to full throttle. checked the plugs and they were not white, but didn't look like they were soaked either.

I'm guessing my jet are too big now that the compression and position size is stock. I have 100 low and 125 high now. got some smaller jets on the way from WetRacer to see if that fixes my problem.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550

original tread with damage
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f21/chicken-egg-289958.html

This year I put the old head back on. yes the one with damage. I'll keep an eye on the temp. compression at 170. runs very well. The only problem I still have is the charging system.

did an AC test of wires coming from charing coil and only one is producing AC voltage. Looked into buying just the charing coil, but you can get a whole used stator for about the same price. seems OK just as long as I charge if before each trip to the lake. I have not gone on any long trips yet.

Noticed a water leak from head next the exhaust when I was testing coil. pulled head and put on 1211. It's a copper gasket and I know it says not to use 121 on copper, but a lot of people on the site say it's OK. well see, but leak its fixed.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 07-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

got her running very well now. All I had to do is buy a whole other ski for parts

details here
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f21/time-lament-343117.html
    this was problem

running fine with bad head.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

The ski is running great. New stuff that I got.

New hood. Still need to replace the seal.

Lightened flywheel that I took off of parts ski and sent to Zero. Still need to install it.

Has carb from my 90 seadoo that I switched for troubleshooting. Still runs fine

I rotated the throttle to make it easier to hold it down at WOT. Can run pretty well at WOT (just as long as there are no big waves )
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

I haven't rode this ski as much because it feels like it needs more power. When I pulled the MAG cover off I noticed some oil in there. Next season I will replace the crank seals and mess with the carb and see if that helps get a little more power out of her. She felt like there was more power in that old motor before it blew up

GPS'd 9/18/12 41.40 MPH
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

The first motor I had felt like it had more power then the one I have now. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the crank seals, so maybe that's my problem.

5/6/13 started tear stuff or motor to pull her. I hate how you have to take the pipe off to get it out
    pull 1.jpg

5/7/13 Pulled motor took off cover.. and yep.. there's a leak
    pull 2.jpg

I split the case and left the top of the motor together. Just need to clean off the goo.
    split case.jpg

the seals have seen better days
    seal1.jpgseal2.jpg

5/8/13 Got some Simple Green to clean the case goo. There is some purple kind caked Extreme Motorsports Cleaner that is only at Fred Meyer. When I went there all the power was off for 2 blocks and the stop lights were out. It was crazy town, but Fred Meyer has some power and the register were on, so I go my goo cleaner

5/9/13 ordered a new flywheel look washer thing. Best deal I could fine was partzilla. We'll see how long it takes to get it.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 05-10-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

5/11/13
    The seals that were in it were totally gone. I don't know how the ski ran. The rear oil seal/big washer was even between the two seals... so that's wrong as well.
    394393_577221545632227_617934930_n.jpg

new seals installed. I did mine different. Because most of the new kits come with an extra double seal, I decide to put the extra double seal in front.
    I put the big ring on the inside and on the rear I put the double seal on the inside with the big spring facing the PTO and the rear spring I put the single seal with the big spring facing out.
    936198_577221448965570_1638950103_n.jpg 943108_577221478965567_1150971962_n.jpg

So now I have a better theory of why there is so much Threebond on this thing, the seals have been reapalced one and the guy just went to town. I just can't image Kawi putting on this much. It was even this bad with drip lines inside.
    179103_577221635632218_412634986_n.jpg

5/12/13
    Hull cleaned out
    253212_577221682298880_25424172_n.jpg

Motor is back in hull and I'm waiting for the lock waster on the flywheel. Touched up paint on pipe
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

5/21/13 Tuesday
    Itís the last warm day for a while so I got the ski up after work. Everything worked well. She stared right up and seems to have much better throttle response. It was really windy so I didnít do any long WOT runs. There was no one at the lake, so I just left the trailer in the water at Spring Shores and I was in the water for only 10 minutes or so.
    One problem I did have happened before I got her out in the water. I took the hood off and check for leaks while it was strapped to the trailer. I noticed the stupid screws came back out of the drive shaft cover. So my new screws that I got for it did not stay in. I drove back up the ramp and got the cover off.

5/26/13 Sunday
    I drilled out the cover some so I could get the bolts to go in further into the block. The next size was too long and the size I used was a little too short. They seem to be in good and tight with locktite. I also ran it on the hose for a bit to see if they would come loose and there were no problems.
    I also worked on the trailer lights. One of the bulbs was burnt out. It was in a sealed waterproof case that seemed to be permanent. I had to cut the plastic dome off to get to the bulb. Once I replaced the bulb, the light was not flashing correctly. It would blink on the parking light when the blinker and the lights were on. I finally figured it was a bad ground. All the new power coating was so good that the ground did not touch metal. I had to grind down to metal were the screws mounted and then it was fine. All the lights are now working.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

7/7/13
    The stupid coupler cover came off AGAIN while I was up at Cascade last weekend. So my new plan of attack...
    1011125_602637233090658_23554102_n.jpg

Now it isn't coming out.
    600218_602637256423989_1924178463_n.jpg

The ski it running well. I think if I play with the carb and retune it.... I'll get rid of my slow acceleration.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 07-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information