Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

HELP.. was I ripped off? Waverunner sunk/engine blown

Hey guys, just trying to figure out if I was ripped off or if this scenario seems possible.. I bought a 2000 XL1200 limited from a guy off craigslist (probably my first mistake). I rode it before I bought it but didnt know that much about it. It seemed really loud and took it a second to get going, but once it did, it would fly so I thought it was fine (yes, dumb mistake). When I got home my friend said his 01 XL800 was doing the same thing last year so he took it to a local guy and the guy resealed the back end with silicone and now its fine. He also suggested I disconnect the oil injection and just mix it to be safer. I took it to the guy and he did it but said he used a new method to seal it and also said my engine was making a funny noise that he didnt like. Said it may blow up next week or a few years from now, who knows. I took it home and it ran PERFECT for about 5 trips. Then it started acting funny after it sat in the water for any amount of time. It would run fine off the trailer but if we tied up with anyone and let it set, it would have trouble starting and keeping it running. The last trip it was running fine then it died, i started it back up and it started making an awful knocking noise. I knew i needed to get it back to the bank. Then it died again and wouldnt even begin to crank. I took it back to my house and left it in the water for 2 days. When I went back down to load it up, the whole backend was under water and it was nearly over the seat. When I took it back to the guy he said water must have came in through the bearings that are underneath the motor and that my engine blowing up was a completely separate problem. What do you guys think???? Thanks for the help

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastlife23's Avatar

Re: HELP.. was I ripped off? Waverunner sunk/engine blown

dude???!!!!! What were you thinking? Time for a rebuild plain and simple, that also includes carbs btw.
    88 kawasaki Ocean Pro 650sx http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=199374For Saleat SkeTech in Des Plaines great shop!!!! (847-699-0363)
    95 Blaster
    03 Shadow two place trailer

evatime you see me post in yo thread I say Snapperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, you can damn well bet yo threads in the crappeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

I dream skis

I would never just let a ski sit for days in the water. The factory bilge pumps, also known as a "sump" because it is not electronic, works off the jet pump vacuum. The sump does not have a one-way valve so its very possible water could eventually flow back in to the ski. But, when your motor toasted there is no telling what all happened. It may have damaged the thru-hull bearings somehow with everything being out of balance when the rod went. Sounds like you threw a rod which I imagine killed the crank and probably the bearings, cylinder wall, crank seals etc etc.
    If I was to make an assumption on the chain of events here it would go like this: The hesitation you originally felt were most likely the carbs. It could have been a vacuum leak. Vacuum leak leaned out the mixture despite you having pre-mixed the fuel. The lean condition may have toasted you motor. That's just my first guess, not a professional opinion.

I'm sorry for your loss! There's always a chance buying used, luckily I haven't been burned yet. Hopefully you learned that with any problems you experience they should be thoroughly checked before taking it out and riding it regularly. A carb kit is about $50 depending on where you get it from, now a complete rebuild is on the chart. (Assuming that was the cause. In the 2 stroke world lean conditions are the number one killer.)
    Last edited by ryanmack12000; 06-16-2010 at 02:02 PM.

I dream skis

Have no fear though! Pull that baby apart and post pictures along the way! Lots of guys here that can help walk you through the rebuild process. It looks daunting at first but its not really that bad, stay organized, go slow, read the manual and ask questions. Don't worry about bothering guys with too many questions, there's plenty of people to spread the questions around to.

Good luck!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

your mechanic and his use of silicone has me nervous he might have not fixed the original problem ,, but honestly I have no clue what he sealed .... and the factory siphon bilge does in fact have a check valve ,, a new to you ski ,, or any ski should not be left alone very long in the water .. you would be surprised how many places they can take on water

did u do premix? if so what ratio ??
    Last edited by ZMANN; 06-16-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks guys. Im not sure about what he sealed either, he basically said all the water is suppose to shoot out the jet and over time it can start to go through other places where the seal is worn out, making it take a while to get going. I do know that it was instantly better (at first). I know I shouldnt have left it in the water for so long but by that point I was pretty sure the motor was toast, it was memorial day weekend and I didnt care to look at it anymore until monday. What do you guys suggest I do? A local yamaha dealer quoted me $3400 (more than I paid for it) to fix it. If thats my only option, its probably going to sit in the garage for a WHILE. Any advice or suggestions on threads to read would be greatly appreciated. Im very new to jet ski's but willing to try anything. I know the mechanice pulled out all the spark plugs and showed me the farthest one from the front and showed me where it had been hit by the piston. Thanks again

and I premixed 4 qts oil/ 1 gal gas
    Last edited by d4ster3; 06-17-2010 at 12:56 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mmille_mr2's Avatar

do you mean 4 oz of oil / 1gal of gas?
    Mike Miller

90 550/650 - Silver 650, 17 scat, SBN44, pipe mod - SOLD
    97 Daytona 1000 - almost mint condition, stock - SOLD
    1975 Jetstar boat with 115hp merc
    07 SXR - Bone stock, and staying that way!
    94 WB1 - Stock, Surf Ski
    Custom RN SJ - Mason Waddle Tribute Ski

Quote Originally Posted by mmille_mr2 View Post
    do you mean 4 oz of oil / 1gal of gas?

I hope so, lol

'02 Superjet - Ocean pro ride plate, intake grate, umi steering, umi bars, solas i prop, pole spring.
    '93 X2 - Renthals & Block off plates
    '93 Four Winns - 18.5ft Open bow 4.3L V6

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

lol
    32:1 = 4oz/gal

either tear it down and see if it's atleast a good core motor and make a game plan or sell it as is but make sure all water is out of the carbs ,motor and everywhere else
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday Newbie

haha yeah 4oz/gal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information