User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Top Dog

Re: 1997 1100 STX cuts out, bogs down. fine on hose. bad in water

Also....make sure water is coming out the pisser on the right side of the ski. The cooling lines from the exhaust to the mag cover and fittings on the pipes tend to clog pretty easily on these. It was that way on both of mine when I bought them, the owners both said they had issues. They did, clogged lines, both ran great after clearing these out. Something to look at.

PWCToday Newbie

Ran a compression check on the ski today. All 3 were at 110psi. Happy with that. Sprayed some carb cleaner in each carb. I can see I have a good spray of fuel in to the carbs. Still running great on the hose... Where to go next?

PWCToday Newbie

So this is today's situation:

Cleaned the fuel filter, took all three spark plugs out - they were are fouled. I bought some new plugs, put those in and hooked the hose up and ran it a few minutes and everything seemed good.

I checked the compression and they were all like 107-110, but they were all even, so that's good.

I took it out to the lake it ran it for about 15 minutes and it was perfect. I took it out several hours later and when I started it up, it kind sputtered a bit, but only for a second and then it took off and ran fantastic and I was reaching new mph's that I hadn't before (57mph) and everything was going good.. well, until about an hour and a half into the ride. Then it started dying again.

I can be riding at 45 and it will just lose power. If I let off of the accelerator, it will just drop down to and idle and then I start all over. But if it starts to lose power and I hold the accelerator down the entire time, it will kill the engine completely. This had me thinking that perhaps it's flooding out.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check the plugs to see how they look and if they have fuel or anything on them. I believe we're going to attempt to clean the carbs tomorrow, how difficult of a job is this? And do you have a site that has some instructions into it as to what is recommended?

PWCToday Regular

Clean carbs, REPLACE fuel filter you more than likely have trash floating around in the tank causing some restriction issues. Maybe even the fuel likes are deteriating on the inside I have a 98 1100 and mine was doing the same thing.Because the tank will not come out without pulling the motor you can only do so much with getting all the fuel out of it so use a high quality inline fuel filter and be prepared to replace it again I use a clear one so I can see the fuel/thrash in the filter. If the ski was running too rich and fouling out the plugs at wide open throttle then it might not idle so good. Just sounds like high side of carbs not fueling enough. Carb cleaning easy Just be careful do one at a time so if you get confused you have a road map on the one next to it I didnt even have to buy any gaskets for mine just reused old ones but I had a set just in case. GOOD LUCK let use know how it goes oh Dont seperate the carbs just keep them all together easier that way
    Last edited by wetroads; 06-13-2010 at 09:50 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

I think I am going to look at pulling the fuel tank and draining that today. My fuel filter is in good shape and I did put a clear one on there so I could see if there was any crud in it. I am not sure, but I think I will be sure to run run premium fuel in this thing. My boat only requires a min octane rating of 85, but I will put 91 octane in the ski.

How essential are the screen things that are over the carbs? are those just flame arrestors? I put the cover back on and then realized that I left those screens out. silly me.

PWCToday Regular

Make sure you use a fuel filter that if able to deliver the right amount of fuel.
    Some of the smaller ones are to restrictive and will not deliver enough fuel for
    triple carbs. BTY carb cleaner and starting fluid dont mix well with two strokes.
    They will wash away the coating out oil.
    2007 -GP 1300R
    2003 - Ultra 150
    2001 - STX 1100
    1988 - X2 -750 Small Pin
    1993 - 750 SX
    1989 - 650 SX - 750 Small Pin

PWCToday Newbie

So I believe the problem is fixed.

The fuel filter was dirty again, and the plugs were almost foul. Pulled the carbs, and low and behold, they were almost completely full of sand and dirt. Took all the hoses lose and siphoned the gas out of the tank, and there was a bunch of sand and dirt in it. There was also some sand in the hose that connects the tank to the filling cap. Cleaned it all out, clean the carbs and fuel filter.

Took it out and ran it for an hour or so and it runs great. The dirty carbs were not sealing good and then was flooding it out and killing it. I thought that was the problem because when it was dying, if I held the throttle down, it would kill out completely, but if I let off, it'd just simmer down to an idle.

I filled it with some plus and it runs great. I'm wondering if perhaps the old owner had turned it over or something and perhaps got sand into the tank, etc.

I work Monday-Wednesday, but I will take it out Thursday and see if she continues to run good. I was waiting for it to start dying again yesterday, but never did. Heck, I even had dreams last night of it continuing to die. It was bad.

PWCToday Newbie

Glad to hear that it sounds like your issue has been solved. I let mine run for a bit on the hose today. everything seems fine. I am going to try to get it on the water this week. It sure isn't much fun to just let it run in my driveway. Ha. I'll keep you posted with what I learn. I can only assume it is going to be bad on the lake again. I do have a good flow from the "pisser" on the right side so I don't think that is the problem.

PWCToday Newbie

I finally got my Jet Ski out on the water today. Ran great for a few minutes. The speedo said I was doing 58mph. I was thrilled that it was running so good that I decided to circle the lake and start back toward the launch. Then it started doing its thing with cutting out. I have to assume that it is when it is under a load, in the water. Do you think this is a carb jetting problem? Or could it be some sort of safety to aid in cooling? I am still stumped. Like I said, ran great for about a mile or so, then I had to nurse it back to my launch. Idle is great under all conditions.

PWCToday Newbie

My 2001 1100 ZXI does the same exact thing.

I can run it wide open for a minute or two sometimes 3 or 4, then it will bog down and even stall sometimes.

Starts right back up and it does the exact same thing.

If I hold the throttle at say 3000 rpms, it will fluctuate 1500 rpms either way.

New plugs are in, compression is 120, 122, 120.

I will change the fuel filter and see what it does.

This thing really sucks gas or thats what it seems.

Maybe a fuel pump issue?
    Last edited by oberkfell; 06-19-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information