Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Frequent Poster

Re: Kawasaki 750 Electric Trim problem

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    I believe you just use the Blue and the Green, on the 2-conductor connector. But test first, with your multimeter. You are measuring just the high current path through the motor. The motor windings have a low resistance value(maybe 5 ohms - guess) but you are also measuring through the brushes that carry the current into/out of the motor windings. Brushes often give somewhat erratic readings on the very low test current from your meter. Anyway you should read a low value, but not zero. Do not define the blue and the green as up, or down. It is the polarity of the 12 vdc that you apply across them. Put your 12 vdc test (battery) wires on these two wires. One polarity will spin it clockwise, and the reversed polarity will spin it counterclockwise.
    The part I ordered online has only the blue and green cable connector (noted for 1994 model). The OEM version had several other cables going into the module. Are these still needed? Wanting to ask the forum before installing the new component. A few photos. IMG_1112.jpeg. IMG_1111.jpeg

I dream skis

Not sure I can be of much further help here. I have been talking only about testing the motor, to see if it spins and actuates the cable movement. That's the green and blue 2-wire connector. The trim box also contains an angle sensor for about another 7 wires. An external module is the trim control module. That controls the direction (polarity reversals) and handles the trim angle sensor info. First test to see if you have motor/cable problems. If that tests good, then the task of troubleshooting the control module, handlebar switches, wiring, etc gets more involved. I am not familiar with any possible variations for model year, or model type. So my comments are generic only. I have worked only on the '95 STS trim system, and that's been a few years ago.
    Last edited by OldGuy; 12-22-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Not sure I can be of much further help here. I have been talking only about testing the motor, to see if it spins and actuates the cable movement. That's the green and blue 2-wire connector. The trim box also contains an angle sensor for about another 7 wires. An external module is the trim control module. That controls the direction (polarity reversals) and handles the trim angle sensor info. First test to see if you have motor/cable problems. If that tests good, then the task of troubleshooting the control module, handlebar switches, wiring, etc gets more involved. I am not familiar with any possible variations for model year, or model type. So my comments are generic only. I have worked only on the '95 STS trim system, and that's been a few years ago.
    Thank you “OldGuy” — much appreciated. If anyone else has experience swapping out the OEM trim module with the black and yellow wires (in addition to the blue green connector), please chime in. The new part only has the blue green connection (per photo in prior post).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It has been a lot longer than 3 years since I worked on a Kawasaki
    trim problem. Kawasaki's were less popular in So Calif.

What model are you working on, and does it have a trim gauge?

Trim systems have a limiter switch that turns off the motor in a
    full up or full down situation. Otherwise it is possible to blow a
    fuse. I am fairly certain your yellow and black wires are the limiter
    switch.

But your new motor may fit a different trim system, that has the
    limit switch on the cable actuator.

What is your end goal?? Because fixing with bolt on parts may not
    be an option.

Bill M.

Is the dull colored plastic module a relay?
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    It has been a lot longer than 3 years since I worked on a Kawasaki
    trim problem. Kawasaki's were less popular in So Calif.

What model are you working on, and does it have a trim gauge?

Trim systems have a limiter switch that turns off the motor in a
    full up or full down situation. Otherwise it is possible to blow a
    fuse. I am fairly certain your yellow and black wires are the limiter
    switch.

But your new motor may fit a different trim system, that has the
    limit switch on the cable actuator.

What is your end goal?? Because fixing with bolt on parts may not
    be an option.

Bill M.

Is the dull colored plastic module a relay?
    Hi! Model is 1994 Kawasaki 750ss xi. I believe this was the first year with the electric trim module and gauge. Photo below shows the yellow and black wires going directly into the module (likely limit switch). The new part I ordered noted that it was for the same year and model; so was hoping that the yellow and black wires weren't needed anymore -- likely poor assumption (so wanted to confirm with this forum before doing any more assembly and putting the engine back in the hull).

Water got into the prior module box and I tried to clean it as best as possible. I bent the small gear in the motor module so that is why I went with replacing that part.

End goal is to get the trim module working and hand the ski back to my father. I had the engine out to add the oil block off and crackcase block off. Also replaced some of the lines, etc. Hoping to get the trim piece solved prior to re-installing the engine.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.24.21 AM.png
    Last edited by keck; 12-28-2020 at 01:32 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

I have one out of a ski I'm parting! Worked great before I tore the hull down. Return the motor and I'll send you the whole unit (gray box). PM me to talk price etc.
    Last edited by SkiMan104; 12-28-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information